Reed Cormorant in soft light

Edit My Images
No
Reed_C_soft.jpg

Just have to add what an interesting and inspiring Flickr page you have.

If I could get anywhere close to that I would be very pleased........

Very nice. Not the usual 'accepted' pose but it shows off all the lovely detail the bird has on the back and head. I'm not sure about the white background at the top. I know you often don't like 'messing' with your images too much but I'd be tempted to continue that lovely subtle colour all the way up.

Just have to add what an interesting and inspiring Flickr page you have.

If I could get anywhere close to that I would be very pleased........

Thanks Mark, really appreciated

What I would say if that "my improvement" is mainly due to first year on this forum ....... and spending time on the internet looking a what some really good bird photographers do

I joined this forum in early 2014 and had never really taken a serious image of a bird, (before 2013) or Dragonfly, (came later). In the past I was interested in general photography, mainly film, (I dabbled with home processing), but when digital came along I kind of lost interest... I was keen when the kids were small but as they got bigger I dropped off

In 2012 I bought a 70 300mm Nikon to take images of my beloved Springer, (a dog), and then I visited a Nature Reserve in France and took a few shots of birds - they were terrible, but I thought that they were OK ....... but just blobs in the centre of the frame

In 2013 I bought a 300mm f4 AF-S Nikon for my D300 and took it with me to S Africa ...... on the first day I took the image below and was amazed

Gradually I learned more about photography, digital camera settings, composition and pp and when I joined this forum it made a real difference ....... I received lots a "proper" Critique and Criticism from a few guys and learned the "hard way" and the rest as they say "is history" and I really enjoy my hobby. It is a subject that you will constantly learn about, whether it be the technical side, the composition of an image, or the processing. Digital photography has been a great "invention" for everyone to get much more of out photography than ever before.

I am sure that you can reach the level that I am at, as I see many just ordinary guys take wonderful shots ....... just ask for Critique, don't accept these "good shot" type "complements" as Critique...... look for more, (the negatives if you like), study it and apply them ....... also there are some really good bird photographers out there on the web that you can learn from. If I feel that I have taken a good shot, (my type of bird on a stick shot), I just look at what Glenn Bartley produces, http://www.glennbartley.com and this brings me back to earth

First shot that I took, Feb 2013, that I felt WOW about, and thought this digital photography is amazing, and then got hooked on Bird photography ........ image taken more by luck than design

Bird_SA.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Not the usual 'accepted' pose but it shows off all the lovely detail the bird has on the back and head. I'm not sure about the white background at the top. I know you often don't like 'messing' with your images too much but I'd be tempted to continue that lovely subtle colour all the way up.

Hi Janny

take your point - but I planned this as a "soft" shot because of the light that morning across the lake in SA...... and in fact I have softened areas down further in post

Thanks Mark, really appreciated

What I would say if that "my improvement" is mainly due to first year on this forum ....... and spending time on the internet looking a what some really good bird photographers do

I joined this forum in early 2014 and had never really taken a serious image of a bird, (before 2013) or Dragonfly, (came later). In the past I was interested in general photography, mainly film, (I dabbled with home processing), but when digital came along I kind of lost interest... I was keen when the kids were small but as they got bigger I dropped off

In 2012 I bought a 70 300mm Nikon to take images of my beloved Springer, (a dog), and then I visited a Nature Reserve in France and took a few shots of birds - they were terrible, but I thought that they were OK ....... but just blobs in the centre of the frame

In 2013 I bought a 300mm f4 AF-S Nikon for my D300 and took it with me to S Africa ...... on the first day I took the image below and was amazed

Gradually I learned more about photography, digital camera settings, composition and pp and when I joined this forum it made a real difference ....... I received lots a "proper" Critique and Criticism from a few guys and learned the "hard way" and the rest as they say "is history" and I really enjoy my hobby. It is a subject that you will constantly learn about, whether it be the technical side, the composition of an image, or the processing. Digital photography has been a great "invention" for everyone to get much more of out photography than ever before.

I am sure that you can reach the level that I am at, as I see many just ordinary guys take wonderful shots ....... just ask for Critique, don't accept these "good shot" type "complements" as Critique...... look for more, (the negatives if you like), study it and apply them ....... also there are some really good bird photographers out there on the web that you can learn from. If I feel that I have taken a good shot, (my type of bird on a stick shot), I just look at what Glenn Bartley produces, http://www.glennbartley.com and this brings me back to earth

First shot that I took, Feb 2013, that I felt WOW about, and thought this digital photography is amazing, and then got hooked on Bird photography ........ image taken more by luck than design

Bird_SA.jpg

Spot on with this post, Bill, echoing quite a few of our thoughts.

Critique can only be a good thing, if you're looking to improve. If all I wanted was "nice shot" I'd put it on Facebook! :)

Also, we need to be aware that critique can come across as just being outright rude and horrible, as you can never get the tone across properly with just written words :)

Spot on with this post, Bill, echoing quite a few of our thoughts.

Critique can only be a good thing, if you're looking to improve. If all I wanted was "nice shot" I'd put it on Facebook! :)

Also, we need to be aware that critique can come across as just being outright rude and horrible, as you can never get the tone across properly with just written words :)

I realise that Wez - I now only critique guys that I "know" and that I hope can take it ........ otherwise it's just one general Critique remark which I think may help

Some of the comments, however, do amaze me, not only on this but also on other forums ......... personally I do not mind harsh negative critique if it is valid and the image is thought about and understoud

I think if you do want Critique, you should post your settings and also your own thoughts on the image and how you feel it falls short of your (best) expectations, plus what you feel is good about it

To me it is about control of the camera settings, the technical aspects of the shot, the composition and subject and the post processing - take these plus your after shot analysis, (Critique) and you will make progress - all can be improved upon and learned fairly quickly by anyone who cares to - and all you need to start with is a 300mm f4 AFS + maybe a 1,4TC - and a D300 or better, plus the ability to read and consider what has been said, usually with the intention of helping, (I see some comments which I feel are the reverse of that)

Last edited:
I realise that Wez - I now only critique guys that I "know" and that I hope can take it ........ otherwise it's just one general Critique remark which I think may help

Some of the comments, however, do amaze me, not only on this but also on other forums ......... personally I do not mind harsh negative critique if it is valid and the image is thought about and understoud

I think if you do want Critique, you should post your settings and also your own thoughts on the image and how you feel it falls short of your (best) expectations, plus what you feel is good about it

To me it is about control of the camera settings, the technical aspects of the shot, the composition and subject and the post processing - take these plus your after shot analysis, (Critique) and you will make progress - all can be improved upon and learned fairly quickly by anyone who cares to - and all you need to start with is a 300mm f4 AFS + maybe a 1,4TC - and a D300 or better, plus the ability to read and consider what has been said, usually with the intention of helping, (I see some comments which I feel are the reverse of that)

I agree. I tend to err on the side of caution with some of my comments though, about things that may improve an image :)

I agree. I tend to err on the side of caution with some of my comments though, about things that may improve an image :)
This is why I typically suggest to people not to hold back. Critique is useless if it's just blowing smoke. I am harsh in my critique becasue I look for the same in return. Several years ago, this place was great for getting it 'full frontal', but unfortunately, as time (and personalities) has moved on, the level of critique in here has done little to spur me on to produce better results.

I kid you not - some of the harshest words in here have made a huge difference to my photography! Unfortunately, many folks find it difficult to say what they really think for fear of being misconstrued, rude or non-politically correct! Such a shame.

This is why I typically suggest to people not to hold back. Critique is useless if it's just blowing smoke. I am harsh in my critique becasue I look for the same in return. Several years ago, this place was great for getting it 'full frontal', but unfortunately, as time (and personalities) has moved on, the level of critique in here has done little to spur me on to produce better results.

I kid you not - some of the harshest words in here have made a huge difference to my photography! Unfortunately, many folks find it difficult to say what they really think for fear of being misconstrued, rude or non-politically correct! Such a shame.

Critique is an important part of (bird) photography .... that's why as has been said many times, this is a Critique forum

but as you have said John, things have changed for various reasons, some of which were very valid ... so bugger off back to that field and get a descent shot of a pheasant!!

Last edited:
so bugger off back to that field and get a descent shot of a pheasant!!
I can't..... It's dark and it's pi$$ing down. Going to shut the office and go home for something French and red. ;)

Sounds good to me, but you must tell us the settings.................

Merlot or what..

touché

D300 + Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S
hand held
1/800th sec - f4 - ISO 400 - 0EV
Spot metering and single cell focus

What a cracking photo of a cracking looking bird (y)

Merlot or what..
Cheeky Beaujolais for a Thursday! In fact, it tends to be Beaujolais most days, unless it's a whisky day and I never mix the two. Or should I say, I'll never mix the two again......:hungover:

Back