Reflective Macro Tube Abstract

I can't believe you are getting some decent results with that macro tube of yours. Well done you for persevering with it! It's definitely more suited to the more abstract type images, but it's producing some nice effects.

I can't believe you are getting some decent results with that macro tube of yours. Well done you for persevering with it! It's definitely more suited to the more abstract type images, but it's producing some nice effects.

LOLOL! Tim, you almost had me spitting my beer across the MacBook. :D You're spot on, though. When someone on another forum explained why this tube couldn't possibly work I understood the physics and was slightly embarrassed to have tried it in the first place but lo and behold I really enjoy playing with it; usually when I'm out of ideas and don't have time to think, the macro tube makes for an easy way to create something pleasing. Yes, you're right, I'm not sure it lends itself to live subjects. You might get lucky but it would be a seriously long shot. Deceased insects it works well with but few will appreciate nature and special effects together so it's a bit niche. :D But for abstract shots like this I love it. Everything I pop in it gets a new and pretty cool effect. It didn't do what I hoped it would but it did do a bit more!

This the tube in action for anyone interested:

MACTUBE-774.png

Very abstract photo, but very pleasing also! Lovely colours and shapes..

Can you descibe how the first photo was taken to produce such abstract shapes and colors?

Can you descibe how the first photo was taken to produce such abstract shapes and colors?

Yes, it's mainly down to the tube shown above. I simply popped in a couple of floats from a broken Galileo Thermometer, screwing the tube onto the end of a 55mm macro lens, aimed the tube at a black background, focused and took the shot. The tube is made from a 30mm diameter test tube which I glued to a couple of adapters, allowing me to screw it directly onto the end of any lens with a 62mm filter thread, or any other lens with step up or step down rings. It's the tube that is extremely reflective and produces these circular reflections. If you look on my blog you'll see some other weird shots with bugs in the tube.

Back