Beginner Refraction

Really like the idea, some exposure adjustment to make the whites cleaner or removing the air bubbles and that one drop near the top left of the glass would add to it.

What aperture was it shot at?

Looks like a very shallow dof, I'd be interested to see what f8 looks like.

17044339056_557e907f08_s.jpg
refraction[/url] by Oliver Grimmett, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hope you don't mind had a quick play, only a contrast and level change havent removed those drops:

refraction by Oliver Grimmett, on Flickr

This is really effective, I've tried it with a water droplet but never a glass.

Looks like 1 for a rainy day.

Nice concept & good first effort, a little more PP & maybe a more sexy glass (if that makes sense ?) would be awesome. Well done Simon

good first effort, it's similar to a shot I tried a good while ago and meant to revisit at some point as it was a quick idea and I was really sloppy with framing, filling glasses and glass selection...

some critique as is, the lighting needs some work you don't need anything fancy for this bounce your light off a large reflector to even out the lighting and it's a bit under exposed imo. If you're going for the stark black and white like that your whites need to get up to pure white and blacks need to be black so exposing a bit brighter and working the contrast would help.
The angle you're shooting at doesn't really work for me, I'd shoot glasses from above or straight on when you shoot a glass from below the rim goes a bit funky. Also as said before the dof is a bit shallow for this shot, I'd go to f11 or there abouts to get the glass fully in focus and keep the lines sharp.

ideas for next time, shoot with a smaller aperture, find a prettier glass with a thinner stem, instead of using two sheets of pattern use one sat upright flush on a mirror for the base, be prepared for a good bit of post work especially the parts in the liquid to bring back the contrast. Also be really pedantic with cleaning glasses before taking the shot, the camera will reveal marks you'll never see and after adding liquid clean inside and out of drips before shooting as some can be really difficult to remove in post.

....hmmm might make a new background and do this again myself.

Last edited:
Back