Relegation

Edit My Images
No
A grandfather consoles his grandson after watching his team Norwich City relegated from the Premier league
p2002019588-5.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot, its a story telling shot, and its so hard to tell young lads how the whole process works and how is it that teams have to be relegated and promoted. I know myself as my 11 year old has his doubts about our club Everton, but he dont want to upset his dad and start supporting another team, so i must be doing something right??? It can only get better.

Too bad the sorry and destroyed mood of the boy
and the compassionate face of the grandpa can't
be seen… would make a good take a great one!

you would think some one died !!!!
its only a game some people need to get a grip

A shame you have to ridicule what you dont understand.. Just a game ? sigh :(

I can only quote the late Liverpool manager Bill Shankley who once said
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

A shame you have to ridicule what you dont understand.. Just a game ? sigh :(

It is just a game!
…and the suggested grip is on the passion of the fans.

Who's talking?
A Canadian hockey extremely passionate fan… with a grip.

Well spotted, I'm sure there were many similar instances as well as the scenes of joy for others ... emotion caught :)

Fantastic capture. I can feel the emotion in the shot, even if their faces are slightly obscured. In fact I think I prefer it for that, more what's unsaid than said, a simple picture of the lad bawling his eyes out wouldn't have had quite the same effect I reckon.

Football at the level we have in this thread is a multi million pound business for each club and a multi billion pound business for the sport itself at this level... So hardly just a game.... being a fan isn't a game .. think about it? being a fan isn't a game...people put there heart and soul into following there club and a large part of there life.. people have died and not just in disasters... lots of people died or seriously injured fighting for the club they love.... NOT SAYING THATS RIGHT but it is true....

Anyone who says football is just a game either has a seriously blinkered view, doesn't understand or in an ironic twist is playing on the very nature of a football fan and winding them up :)

Too bad the sorry and destroyed mood of the boy
and the compassionate face of the grandpa can't
be seen… would make a good take a great one!

Can you repeat in English please?

It's a fantastic shot, you don't need to see the compassionate face of the granddad, what you DO see is perfect.

Can you repeat in English please?

Is my English so bad?
… "would make a good take a great one!"

It only shows how very subjective pictorial
communication is really!

:)City will get back to the premier league at the first attempt.........

Ah. Rex/Shutterstock byeline. That would explain the lack of understanding of DataCo.

Are you sure about that Mr Chappell?
  1. 2.3 For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this Agreement or otherwise shall in any way prevent or restrict the Licensee from Publishing or using editorial and photographic material in respect of any incident or occurrence which takes place in a Stadium (other than as part of a Match) and which is worthy of news reporting.

1. 2.3 For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this Agreement or otherwise shall in any way prevent or restrict the Licensee from Publishing or using editorial and photographic material in respect of any incident or occurrence which takes place in a Stadium (other than as part of a Match) and which is worthy of news reporting.

Its not editorial when used in here and absoloutly 100% isn't allowed...

Personally i dont like the rule and didnt comment.. but i hate missinformation :)

Its not editorial when used in here and absoloutly 100% isn't allowed...

Personally i dont like the rule and didnt comment.. but i hate missinformation :)

I read it differently. I am in effect "Publishing photographic material" of an event that took place in the stadium off the pitch 10 minutes after the game had finished that was "worthy of news reporting" which is allowed by DataCo. The "editorial" refers the words written by a journalist.

Published as a rag out
p2032620617-5.jpg

Last edited:
Ah. Rex/Shutterstock byeline. That would explain the lack of understanding of DataCo.

This is just arrogant. I would not mind so much Mark if you had the ability to back your arrogance up with some good photography!

OK, well I'm once again confused about what is allowed now! I can't post pics of national league but you can post a pic of a premier league game in some circumstances??

I read it differently. I am in effect "Publishing photographic material" of an event that took place in the stadium off the pitch 10 minutes after the game had finished that was "worthy of news reporting" which is allowed by DataCo. The "editorial" refers the words written by a journalist.

yes you are correct. up to a point. BUT this is a forum.. this isnt a news or editorial website.. and furthur.. your also not allowed to post the press cuttings either.. Believe me I know for 100% sure because dataco have told me in the past :) .. your not allowed to post anythign taken using your licence onto a forum... however facebook and other social media yes (strange i know) but a forum no.. and again.. i think its a stupid rule and i dont agree with it.. and again i didnt pull you up about it... but i will reply to your posts about it being OK because that is missinformation..

This is just arrogant. I would not mind so much Mark if you had the ability to back your arrogance up with some good photography!

shutterstock is embarresing.. you should get maybe 160 quid or more for that pic.. what did you get from shutterstock? 10? 20 ?

yes you are correct. up to a point. BUT this is a forum.. this isnt a news or editorial website.. and furthur.. your also not allowed to post the press cuttings either.. Believe me I know for 100% sure because dataco have told me in the past :) .. your not allowed to post anythign taken using your licence onto a forum... however facebook and other social media yes (strange i know) but a forum no.. and again.. i think its a stupid rule and i dont agree with it.. and again i didnt pull you up about it... but i will reply to your posts about it being OK because that is missinformation..

Thanks Kipax. I think I will drop Kelly at DataCo an email so that she can confirm if it is ok to post non match photographs on a forum. I will let you know the outcome.
The rag out that I posted was not a press cutting containing the full newspaper article.

shutterstock is embarresing.. you should get maybe 160 quid or more for that pic.. what did you get from shutterstock? 10? 20 ?

I will not know the exact figure for a month or so . However the Daily Telegraph print editions are not part of the Rex/Shutterstock subscription deal as indeed neither am I. So I would expect to get about £80. The picture would also not count towards a licence due to it not being a match related action picture. So why should it be restricted from a forum?

I will not know the exact figure for a month or so . However the Daily Telegraph print editions are not part of the Rex/Shutterstock subscription deal as indeed neither am I. So I would expect to get about £80. The picture would also not count towards a licence due to it not being a match related action picture. So why should it be restricted from a forum?

As I said.. I agree it shouldnt.. but you only got that picture because you where there photogrpahing wiht your licence.. .. i spoke to kelly and asked if forums are OK and she said no.. not for any pics taken under licence.. but facebook and twitter is ok.. which seems stupid to me... all that a couple of months ago.... any pictures from a press cutting i was told not allowed.. but that was some years ago.. personally i am a bit protective of my licence so i dont take the risk..

Thanks Kipax. I think I will drop Kelly at DataCo an email so that she can confirm if it is ok to post non match photographs on a forum. I will let you know the outcome.

exactly what i do and what i suggest everyone else does.. just ask her, she doesnt bite :).. always best to get the official line.. and yes would be interested to know if you get a different answer ..i guess things change and it all seems a bit grey here and there..

The thing is, as Kipax points out, you can't post to a forum whether it's action or not. It's shot in a DataCo regulated stadium, under licence, on a match day. Otherwise we'd be allowed to sell prints of crowd shots to the fans that keep asking for them.
More to the point, if published on the licence holder's website or social media for portfolio or promotion purposes, the image should be covered by a substantial watermark.
You are also not allowed to sell to single player or team websites/fan groups/forums - but that's obviously not an issue here.

One slightly dubious issue is whether the photographer can use a watermarked image for portfolio use if they are shooting under someone else's licence.

There's nothing wrong with your photo, it's a damned good shot, I was referring to the lack of understanding of DataCo that most Rex contributors display, not to mention the lack of quality (which obviously isn't an issue in your case).
And I'm perfectly capable of taking the odd decent snap thanks.

Press cuttings are fine now. Reuters got that one sorted out a few years ago.

It was a while ago that one.. seemed like another silly rule.. I do understand some of them but didn't think a press cutting would be bad.......right thats good to know :)

Back