Remember these

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
There was mother,father and four young. Due to the foxes we are down to two young and a severely injured parent, probably hurt protecting the young.

Gosling_1.jpg

Goose_1.jpg

My loathing of foxes knows no bound, the country ones will kill without eating the victim, it appears that the urban ones are at it now.I loathe them nearly as much as I do mink.

I`m gonna spend the afternoon walking around the fenced in millpond to see where they are getting in and mend the fence, I may even place the odd snare around the place as well.

Just had a shuftie at your Website, some excellent stuff there! (y)

Nice shots.

Just looked at your site too, some great shots, Love the "Great Spotted" on your home page.

I`ve done the best I can with the fence, hopefully the bloody foxes can`t get in now, hopefully they will go back to routing through rubbish bins. Saw sign of mink as well. The injured adult bird does not look too bad very close up so all being well, hopefully, they`ll make it.....(y)

Here's hoping :)

I`ve done the best I can with the fence, hopefully the bloody foxes can`t get in now, hopefully they will go back to routing through rubbish bins. Saw sign of mink as well. The injured adult bird does not look too bad very close up so all being well, hopefully, they`ll make it.....(y)

Fracster, how do you know foxes are taking them?

I was at a pool about 3 weeks ago and watched Gulls trying to take them and I know they had a few.

They are very easy prey for Buzzards too, along with many, many other predators.

While foxes may be a pest to some, snares are an indiscriminate killer and give a long torturous death.

Hard as it may seem it is nature's way ... :cautious: ... doesn't mean we have to like it but birds like this have large broods to increase the survival rate of the few ... :shrug:

Good on you for caring and doing something to try and help though ... but I agree with Psi about the snares ... ;)

:p

snares should be banned and anyone that uses them should be prosecuted.

Note to self , don`t post whilst drunk, apologies.

Last edited:
While foxes may be a pest to some, snares are an indiscriminate killer and give a long torturous death.

Note to self , don`t post whilst drunk, apologies.

Last edited:
Last edited:
LOL. Farmers hate foxes for good reason, they are indiscriminate killers and will slaughter huge numbers of poultry without eating any, although there's no denying they're beautiful creatures in their own right. I was never keen on shooting foxes, not with a shotgun anyway, as it's just not enough gun for the job unless they're shot at pretty close range. I've seen them hit three or four times at long range and still run off obviously badly injured.

Nature's cruel - I witnessed a load of crows slaughtering newly born ducks on the river at Lichfield a few years ago and would have given my right arm for a 12 bore at the time.

Walking into a pen of 500 pheasants that I had reared from day olds to find 250 dead, there heads bitten off and probably only three eaten, kind of put me off foxes.

I`m not keen on mink either for similar reasons, the constant war on them has certainly aided the boom in waterfowl, along with more awareness,cleaner rivers and the growth in otter population.

Apologies for my drunken prattlings last night......:(

Beer in - restraint out! :D

We had a low anti -fox wire around our pheasant pens powered from a 24 volt lorry battery. It was enough to make the dogs holler if they caught their nads on it. :LOL:

CT I think that they made it illegal to shoot foxes with a "scatter gun" and now have a minimum of .22 center-fire
( and no longer .22 rim-fire as I understand it)triple 2 / .223 being the prefered.

There is a lot of legislation regarding the use of snares and in some circumstances they have a legitimate use
And don't forget of course that urban foxes don't stick to rubbish raiding they have a taste for pet rabbits, guinea pigs, garden fowl etc
And here comes the flack........................

<snip>Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Section 11, and Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985 Article 12 it is illegal to :

set in position any self-locking snare.
set in position any trap or snare calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal included in Schedule 6.
Schedule 6 includes, badger*, pine marten*, otter*, red squirrel*, wild cat*, polecat.
set in position any snare and fail to inspect it, at least once a
day.

* Note : pine marten, otter, red squirrel and wild cat are
now listed in Schedule 5 of the Act and are therefore fully protected. The badger and its sett are also protected under the Badgers Act 1992. Wild cat and polecat are excluded from the Order.
Under the Deer Act 1991, Deer (Scotland) Act 1996 and Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985 Article 12 it is also an offence to :
• set in position any trap or snare calculated to cause bodily injury to any deer coming in contact with it,
• use for the purpose of taking or killing any deer any trap or snare.
Only free running snares which contain a 'permanent stop', 9" (23cm) from the eye of the snare should be used.
Use good quality snares which incorporate a strong swivel. The wire must not be less that 460lbs (208 kilos) breaking strain.
Snares should be supported by a suitable 'tealer' or set-stick and set firmly in the ground. Tealers made from fence-wire are easy to conceal, set and make.
Snares must be firmly anchored.
Ensure that snares run freely and are free of 'kinks'. Snares which are frayed or damaged should be discarded.
Snares should be set so that the bottom of the loop is at least 9" (23cm) off the ground under normal conditions and up to a height of 12" (30cm) or more, on open ground. When setting snares at these heights the loop should be 6" to 7" (15/18cm)
at its deepest point.
The law requires that snares should be checked at least once a day. BASC recommends inspection at least twice a day and as soon after dawn as is practical.
Foxes should be dispatched quickly and humanely by a shot from a rifle, shotgun or pistol and the body disposed of responsibly e.g. by burying. </snip>

I have never understood why they banned locking snares, they kill a damned site faster than non locking ones.

I have only ever used a rifle to shoot foxes, shotguns would not be effective.

Thats the point Ade "you" can no longer kill with a snare they are designed only hold not kill.
I don't like them either particularly

Beer in - restraint out! :D

We had a low anti -fox wire around our pheasant pens powered from a 24 volt lorry battery. It was enough to make the dogs holler if they caught their nads on it. :LOL:

I never resurrected anything. What are you talking about? Did you even look at my posting time?

Can't say I did, but I can't see the connection with the post of mine you've quoted either. :thinking:

Thats the point Ade "you" can no longer kill with a snare they are designed only hold not kill.
I don't like them either particularly

Is the reasonably quick death not better than being held for, what could be, a long time and then be despatched with a bullet?

The non locking snares do kill, it just takes them longer to do so Chris.

:shrug:

I think the argument is that the non locking ones sometimes snare a leg?

Can't say I did, but I can't see the connection with the post of mine you've quoted either. :thinking:

I quoted that post because I had nothing else to quote since you left your reason for removing my post in my post lol. Never mind.

Is the reasonably quick death not better than being held for, what could be, a long time and then be despatched with a bullet?

The non locking snares do kill, it just takes them longer to do so Chris.
:shrug:

Not the "legal ones Ade", they have a "stop" and are incapable of strangling I belive. But I only needed to know the theory, I have never set them so cannot be 100% on that
I think the argument is that the non locking ones sometimes snare a leg?
Not if set correctly but thats a whole new ball game ;)

Back