Remote camera attempt...

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought some Yongnuo 603's to try being the goal stuff, here's my first attempt...

View attachment 35569

Camera 7D lens 10-20mm f4-5.6

Settings:

Manual mode
f5.6
1/500th
Auto ISO (this shot was 6400 I think)
Evaluative metering
Manual focus set onto 6 yard line

This shot is uncropped from camera.

Maybe it sounds a bit daft but I find the net too distracting in this shot. I also decided to go for one side of the goal as when in the middle the edges just looked too distorted for my liking.

Any thoughts? How can I improve this?

Cheers

Last edited:
The advice for shooting through wire mesh or a cage is to get the lens as close as possible to throw the bars out of focus.

I would guess the same is true of the net. If it is a wide angle lens you will have a large depth of field. So may be setting the focus distance further out than the 6 yard line would mean the net is outside the depth of field?

Updated to show camera and lens...

Can't get camera any closer as it would get hit if a goal was scored the right place! Interesting about the DOF, will do some research into that. Thanks

I can't see anything. Have you modified or removed the picture?

I dont see how you can improve as that is about the right set up.The shirts on the players blend into the sky,the floodlights have not helped and the ball is a bit far away all those things make the shot look bland.You can't do anything else it's up to the players.

The advice for shooting through wire mesh or a cage is to get the lens as close as possible to throw the bars out of focus.

I would guess the same is true of the net.

Not if you want the whole thing smashed when the ball hits the net you dont :)

Nope the image is still there for me. I just added the camera and lens info.

It's there now. How about a couple of Gopros fastened to the net? They can be triggered remotely and are robust.

It's a bright white hexagon net that is lit from behind that makes it stand out more than an FA square off white and orange net unlit from behind.Where was the photograph taken?

How about using a longer focal length lens and set the tripod further back. Shallow depth of field that blurs the net but has the 6 yrd line bang in focus. Your problem won't be the net but where's the bloody ball?

Just had an afterthought. The question will be 'Where's the bloody camera?'

Last edited:
It's there now. How about a couple of Gopros fastened to the net? They can be triggered remotely and are robust.

Can't fasten anything to the net, but I wouldn't want to anyway, I want some net there just want to take the viewers attention away from it. I guess these types of shots are totally dependent on action in the right area, i.e. a goalkeeper scrambling back to claw a ball off the line etc. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It's a bright white hexagon net that is lit from behind that makes it stand out more than an FA square off white and orange net unlit from behind.Where was the photograph taken?

The image was made in Brisbane, Australia. I see what you mean about it being lit pretty well.

Side note, this is semi professional football over here, and their pitches, floodlights, small club infrastructure etc is unbelievable. This ground called Perry Park, it's a better pitch than most Conference and League 2 pitches I've seen. Give it 10 years, Australia will be right up there with the top footballing countries!

the net would be a bit less intrusive if you shot in daylight. the contrast between the night sky and the white net makes it more distracting. If you are shooting remote from behind the goal the net is going to be in the shot!
h416f5c86

http://photodiva.zenfolio.com/p1049341275/h416f5c86#h416f5c86

Last edited:
I actually like the shot, yeah the net stands out but there's not much that can be done about that considering the floodlights are on.

Always wanted to try this myself but don't trust the little brats around my local park not to runaway with my camera......

Couple more attempts today, this time same set up but different focal length, shutter speed up to 1/800th I think it was. Still awaiting my pedal to arrive so I can test firing with the foot instead of scrambling around like a mad man every time the ball goes near the goal! Any comments would be appreciated...

I know the action isn't the best in the second one but I like the sky. :)

First one, the guy on the far left has just scored.

View attachment 37445

View attachment 37444

Last edited:
Wondered what you meant about 'scrambling about' and needing a 'pedal'. Surely RF 602s is what you need. That's what I use. http://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-RF-602-2-4GHz-Wireless-Trigger/dp/B003ARRAA8

I think the bright ball of floodlight in the centre of the frame is too distracting. Getting a bit closer to the net might help too.

Would increasing the height of the camera, maybe on a pole, help with this? it would also give a different [pleasing :rolleyes:] perspective to the shot.

Wondered what you meant about 'scrambling about' and needing a 'pedal'. Surely RF 602s is what you need. That's what I use. http://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-RF-602-2-4GHz-Wireless-Trigger/dp/B003ARRAA8

I think the bright ball of floodlight in the centre of the frame is too distracting. Getting a bit closer to the net might help too.

Yea I asked in another thread about the 602's, why are they better? Do they trigger when you press the shutter on your control camera? In that case you end up with a hell of a lot of useless stuff to sort through? I'm currently trying to get a pedal assembly together so I can fire with my foot.

Got another game this Wednesday night so will try again, this time will put the camera closer, thus making the gaps in the net seem bigger. Will change up the composition too. Will post results.

Would increasing the height of the camera, maybe on a pole, help with this? it would also give a different [pleasing :rolleyes:] perspective to the shot.

I could change the height but I like the current angle.

Hi. You do get a lot of 'waste' shots, but they are easy to scroll through. I use a 10-22mm and put the camera on a small tripod close to, but out of range of the net. At 10mm I can usually get all of the goalposts in, or zoom in a bit. Its luck where the action occurs. Its often at the edge :-( I like the low viewpoint.

example

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. What body are you on? Crop? I'm using 7D with a Sigma 10-20mm. At 10mm it just seems to distort so much that anything further away than the 6 yard line is tiny in frame and not worth using. I gave up on behind the goal for a bit, but I did have another go today... will post up a half decent one I got. I think I actually used a 17-50mm lens today, so I could zoom 'past' the net to give it more blur and make the players stand out more.

That meant I had to crop into just a section of the goal, there were 2 other goals I got nothing on as it was half out of frame. Argh!

Seems to be very hit and miss. Mostly miss!

View attachment 39555

View attachment 39556

Those are lookin' good. I use a 50d. a 10-22mm is the only lens I have I'm willing to sacrifice to the gods of football LOL. I usually focus on the 6yd line and hope for the best. I'm really only trying to capture stuff on or near the goal line, as you say, anything further away is too small in the frame. Some games you get lucky. Other stadiums have precious little room behind the goal so its not do-able.

Those are lookin' good. I use a 50d. a 10-22mm is the only lens I have I'm willing to sacrifice to the gods of football LOL. I usually focus on the 6yd line and hope for the best. I'm really only trying to capture stuff on or near the goal line, as you say, anything further away is too small in the frame. Some games you get lucky. Other stadiums have precious little room behind the goal so its not do-able.

As I am booked for a lot of non stanley matches next season was thinking of giving this a proper go.. got a spare 17-40 f4 I never use... just need a camera.. 50d looks cheap and cheerful with a decent frame rate.. whats the crop on it?

I realise that but in which case you have the "distracting net " that Steven disliked.

Your missing how it works.. the net hangs down at the back.. if you get close and a goal is score then the net will billow back and knock your camera over at the very least... its not a fixed net you can't put the lens right up to.. plus I doubt it would be allowed that close as equally the goalkeeper could dive backwards onto it... All in all I dont think your advice could work.. sorry..

its a 1.6x crop but a 10-22 is an EFS lens and only fits that body, and sooner or later you get donked! Hope its uninjured.

I use a Manfrotto 482

Keen to try this, so here's a few early attempts. My camera set up was a bit crude. With no small/table top tripod, I inverted a standard size one, with a pocket wizard attached. Obvously it meant all images were upside down, but easily enough dealt with in PP.
Pleased to say, not knocked over, and light was very favourable.

View attachment 42435
View attachment 42436 View attachment 42437

Last edited:
Thank you! Yea, chuffed with that. Shot an FFA Cup (Australia's version of the FA Cup) game this week, it went to penalties. I was very pleased I had set up my behind goal cam! There was a penalty at my cam end during the game, then it went to extra time and pens. Got a shot of the last penalty scored, then the save that won the game as it went 8-7 on penalties. Shame the net was so bright and I'm still working out best distance from the net and angles but very happy with these three.

Penalty during the game to make the score 1-1, as it stayed til full time and at the end of extra time
View attachment 42931

Penalties went to sudden death, here's the last one scored.... which meant....
View attachment 42934

.....that this was the save that won the game.
View attachment 42932

Thanks for looking!

That second one with the rippling net is great. Good job you never had them behind the net when I was playing as you'd have had to have it on the stand behind!!

Back