Remote camera attempt...

Liking those. I regularly cover my camera with an orange 'sainsburys' bag to make it more visible. Once captured a pair of blurred socks passing the lens in a goal cele! Here's one from last week.

and here's the shot from the main camera

Last edited:
Great shots guys! I haven't had anything decent in the last couple of weeks, last game of the season over here tomorrow night so I'm hoping one last decent behind goal shot!

Love those Carol. I've got a few where you then look for the corresponding photo from a different angle.
The same moment often gives competely different interpretation.
From behind goal, it looks a dead certain net rippler,
from the side you realise just how high wide and handsome it was heading! :LOL:

Agree with #2, shame the guy taking it doesn't look a bit happier though! Nice timing on the save aswell.

Bought the Yongyuo 602 all ready to give this a go behind the goals........except I didn't order the extra cable (I stupidly assumed it was included lol) to be able to connect it up to the bloody camera!!!! Bugger.

A recent fav from behind the goal.

haha well well well... I have only used remote twice.. first time was quite a few yrs ago one attempt... I tried it again this weekend and got this published... the reason i am laughing..... I used a 40 quid camera..... a canon 10d .... plus the 17-40

lt_10d.jpg

Even worse its showing my beloved team losing at home!! .

haha burnley? I am covering all burnley home games this season which I thought would be orrible.. but days like sat make up for it.. as a PNE fan :)

Then I stand by the first part of my comment!! If you need anyone to carry your bags/mop your brow/fetch tea for you!!
Ps just bought a 30d off MPB for a £100 for my remote stuff lol that's your fault!

I do a lot of grassroots footballl for the local paper and wanted to have a go at this just to send something different in.
Anyway first time I tried it one got published.

The only thing I find difficult is focussing around the 6 yard box especially if there is no one around at the time I'm setting up.........just wondered what others do?
I use a 1DMKIV with a 16-35 MKII f2.8.

Picture that got used.....
i-2R2kHQW.jpg

Place your bag at the 6 yard line/area

Yes I did think about sticking my case on the 6 yard line so might just go for that.

There will be some grounds I won't be able to put my bag on the 6 yard line.

Do you zoom in while your camera is on the tripod......mines pretty low to the ground and would find that difficult.

There will be some grounds I won't be able to put my bag on the 6 yard line.

Do you zoom in while your camera is on the tripod......mines pretty low to the ground and would find that difficult.

Yea, I focus with camera ready in position, in fact it's the last thing I do before leaving the camera. It normally involves lying on the ground and looking a bit odd. Though using live view to focus, as long as you can see the back screen reasonably enough, you would only need to bend down really.

Reactions: P-E
eh? It doesnt have to be exact.. go to side of goal.. focus how far out you want.. then go back behind the goal.. it will be the same distance :)

Yea, Kipax is right, doesn't need to be exact and his method will give you a focus point roughly where you want it. Simple enough to get set up and use live view also though. Each to their own method.

I've just traded an old body for a 1D mk1 for £75 extra. Which I'll use as my behind the goal setup. I realise I may struggle a bit with floodlights and ISO. Hopefully be giving a go on Saturday. Any thoughts or experiences with this model?

And this time I might even put a memory card in it, unlike Tuesday night......and To$$er of the week award goes to.......

I do what Kipax suggests. It works. Remember that you want a smallish aperture (say f/5.6 or f/7 if you can, depending on available light) and that the range of sharpness will be 1/3 in front and 2/3 behind the focus point.

Lardyc7 - what lens are you going to use on a 1Dmk1? EFS lenses don't fit on EF bodies. As for a 1Dmk1, I went for a 1Dmk3 to start and that was great but the ISO wasn't that high. A 1Dmk1 will probably be great in daylight, but you will have to see what it does under floodlights. The lighting behind most goals (where the camera will be) is often not that good, as the light comes from the front.

Last edited:
One from a recent match. Put it into a camera club comp, judge said "I should have used flash" - doh! Silly me. :)

I'll probably use either 17-40 F4L or I've got a Samyang 14mm F3.5 manual focus lens that I picked up very cheaply, in case of it getting whacked.

I know the 1D isn't great at high ISO but it's built like a brick and obviously weather proofed. so I thought it was worth a punt?

Get your kit insured if not already. My camera/lens has been 'donked' a few times, always survived, though. I sacrifice a 50D and a 10-22mm, but your choice will probably be pretty tough. I don't usually bother using this behind the goal under floodlights, its not well lit enough for me. Other grounds might be better, though.

Cheers Carol, Buxton's are akin to putting a head torch on in a coal mine.....a very deep badly lit coal mine!!

Back