removing objects

damianmkv

Uh oh, a fruit basket!
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday we went out for a sunday drive with a friend and took some photos of his Mclaren and Porsche on the roads. Generally, the photos have come out great but there are some which are let down by other cars being just in front of the Porsche ( ignore the crop, its just to show the shot )

Test by damianmkv, on Flickr

For the life of me, i cannot get a satisfactory removal of the Honda. I have PSE11 and LR6 for laptop

Any help / tutorial much appreciated

It could be done, but not quickly or easily. Personally I'd shoot an empty silmilar road and put the cars you want in that. Quicker and easier IMHO.

That’s not what I’m asking. I’m fully aware if there were no other cars, it would be better all round

I see lots of before / after shots so that’s why I’m asking for help...

It could be done, but not quickly or easily. Personally I'd shoot an empty silmilar road and put the cars you want in that. Quicker and easier IMHO.

Re-shoot on a quieter road or a different time of day and brief the drivers to ensure there's good space between both cars and other road users and or have a 2 way radio set with all drivers plus you so you can communicate with a passenger who can relay the message to the driver to increase space etc.

Planning the shoot better is the key to success.

It was a drive, not a shoot.

I would like to learn to edit so if comments could relate to the question, that’d be great thanks..

It was a drive, not a shoot.

I would like to learn to edit so if comments could relate to the question, that’d be great thanks..
You need to slowly and carefully use the clone tool to go over the wrong car bit by bit. It will take a very long time which is why people are suggesting a quicker alternate - reshoot. The quickest of all, and likely to produce the best results, is SwanseaMale's suggestion.

Last edited:
Thanks John. I’ll just use another photo in that case - I have many more.

I just wondered if there was something I’m missing

If the road is fairly local to you, go back and reshoot the empty road at a similar speed and lighting conditions (easier said than done, I know) then clone the empty road over the Jizz. My preferred method would be to remove the Honda with a PIAT or similar...

A little time spent with masking and the clone stamp using what little is available of the far kerb would do the job too.

try you tube some excellent tuition there how to remove objects
next time compose the shot better then no hassle removing stuff

A quick 5min in Lightroom. I would once have done a better job in On1 Photoraw, but the tools I used for cloning seem to have disappeared. :(

I't's hard to be clean around the post so I removed it. I also noticed that the tarmac between the 2 main cars goes in the same direction as the road surface to be added, so used bits of that to give texture instead of leaving it smooth. Far from perfect, but it suggests what you want is possible, especially with a full-size image.

not my picture-.jpg

Thanks Toni..a guy local to me offered help last night and edited the shot in around an hour. I'll pop it up later, just for reference

That’s not what I’m asking. I’m fully aware if there were no other cars, it would be better all round

I see lots of before / after shots so that’s why I’m asking for help...
I think that you have misunderstood what Wayne is suggesting ... he's taking about editing not re-shooting. :)

This is a good demonstration of what's possible and how it can be done.

Not sure how much of what he shows is possible on PSE11, but Lightroom won't do a lot of it I'm afraid...

GIMP would do that without too much difficulty, if you don't want to spend. IIRC the clone stamp tool was very effective.

I use Paint.Net, a freebie. No clone tool as such, I select little circles of tree/grass/road, copy&paste. If I wanted to keep the bollard, I'd do that by pasting a complete second layer then erase that bit to bring the bollard back (I could explain in more detail), but anyway, it's a good idea to get rid of it!

A final point, IMO, the image - post #15 result - would benefit a letterbox crop, removing all the sky, removing the top half of the pic.

Not sure about the full PS but you can get PSElements which does a lot, including layers, cloning etc.. About 70 quid IIRC for the 2019 version on disk.

GIMP would do that without too much difficulty, if you don't want to spend. IIRC the clone stamp tool was very effective.
As well as cloning, Gimp's context sensitive fill tool completely removes selected objects really well when used with care. PS added a similar tool more recently.

On my side I prefer Affinity photo instead of PhotoShop.
You can do the same job but the more easily.

Back