Renault Megane 2004 locking problem

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Friend of mine is unfortunate enough to own one of these :eek:
Anyway, when they lock the car and walk away it now unlocks itself, any of you wonderful car people got any ideas :)
cheers

Snagging buttons? When cars age the plastic trim can warp so they lean on the button you push down to lock the door from the inside. If not that then it points to a door/boot switch not working properly and the car thinks something is still open.

If it is locked with one of those proximity keys then I suspect the solution might be very expensive or involve binning the car as renaults are not known for their electrical gubbins quality.

possible water in the UPC? or in laymans terms the fusebox under the bonnet

sits behind the NSF headlight next to the battery & has two 30torx screws holding the cover on

first place i'd look ;)

Thanks all

Yvonne, yes one key is at home and doesn't work and by hands free locking do you mean if you walk up to the car and have the key on you it auto unlocks when you pull the handle ? Not sure how the locking works

Will have a look at the fusebox tomorrow, water is a possibilty as it's only just started just paid out £600 to get the waterlogged wiper motor fixed :(

Also make sure that all the lock bolts are tight, I had a car that the boot lock was slightly loose and it caused an earthing issue and the car just sat there locking and unlocking itself.

I'd hazard a guess that problem isn't the key being bumped in the owner's pocket, loose bolts or anything like that. It's either going to be with the key or the car's ecu, neither of which will be cheap to fix.

Its the proximity sensors, they break (hey its french, they just take early retirement).

well atleast thats what mike brewer said was a known problem with them when i was watching one of his shows on discovery.

likely to be a costly fix

Sounds like either a second mortgage or a new car then :(

easist way to find out for sure is call your local dealer & agree a fixed fee diagnostic charge with them.
half an hour diag at my local dealer would be £48 inc vat

not an excessive price to find out whats actually wrong compared to unfounded armchair experts random guesses :)

Its the proximity sensors, they break (hey its french, they just take early retirement).

well atleast thats what mike brewer said was a known problem with them when i was watching one of his shows on discovery.

likely to be a costly fix

Is that the same Mike Brewer whose current Discovery series reckons that DeLoreans and VW Karmann Ghias are American cars?

My guess (as I say, GUESS) is that the unlock button is either getting pressed accidentaly by another object in the pocket or that the switch is being short circuited.

Sounds like either a second mortgage or a new car then :(

or dont leave anything valuable in it and leave it unlocked - chances are no ones going to nick an old megane anyway

I'm not totally surprised.

I had one of the "new" shape megane's when they first came out in 2003, luckily it was a company car!

If you were site based we kept them for 4 years, and I was on first name terms with the mechanics at the end of it. The electrics were truly awful! The daft thing is was that I really liked the car, then engine (diesel) was superb, even the silly looking handbrake was brilliant to use.

I wouldn't have another though!

Get the door cards off and give everything door lock related a good squirt with WD40, chances are a solenoid has got a bit damp and is sticking, not engaging properly and the locks open again as they can't fully close.

or dont leave anything valuable in it and leave it unlocked - chances are no ones going to nick an old megane anyway

PMSL that rreally amused me, I hate the things :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Seems it might be damp related, had a couple of dry days down here and it's now locking
Oh Well !!!!!

If it is locking when you get near and unlocking when you walk away its possible someone has unlocked it with the manual key (if its fitted with a manual lock) and its got out of sequence. My Clio suffered this once (albeit its not keyless entry).

Seems it might be damp related, had a couple of dry days down here and it's now locking
Oh Well !!!!!

In that case do as I suggested above. I used to get a problem with heavy rain on my Mk2 Mondeo, the central locking solenoid on the front passenger door kept sticking and the car kept unlocking again. A liberal coating of WD40 in the lock itself any holes in the end of the door around the catch area even through the holes in the door skin where the handle is and never had the problem again for ages.

Oh Well !!!!!

If it happens again it's nothing a gallon of unleaded and a box of Swan Vestas won't cure :LOL:

Oh Well !!!!!

i originally suggested water in the UPC ;) however the door wiring looms are also a bit vulnerable to water getting into them.
water getting into the motors via the wiring plugs is a fairly common complaint & very wideley reported online

this is more than likely just a temporary reprieve until it gets wet again :shrug:

I've had a 2007 megane for almost 2 years now, so far apart from one of the electric windows being a bit iffy it's been fine

One owner car bought by me at 3 years old with 14 k on for £3500

I wouldn't buy one new but then again I wouldn't like losing £300 a month on any car no matter what it was

I'm just glad there are plenty of people who just have to buy a new car as soon as the warranty runs out

Back