Renslade House, Exeter: Controversy in Concrete.

Edit My Images
No
This has been described as the ugliest building in Exeter but I think that's thoroughly unkind, having worked there for a year and having some happy memories of the experience.

It's a somewhatly atypical 60s futurist construction, having a sculpted frontal elevation that faces onto the Exe. Its (currently) isolated position underscores the simple design, which would have looked perfectly at home in an episode of Fireball XL5 or Space 1999. It was renovated a few years ago but now faces a controversial rebuild that will replace the low rise wings with twin ten story towers, the whole being repurposed as student accomodation.

26640055282_bde55e23b2_b.jpg

Last edited:
So many of these building are being lost which i think is a shame, they define a time and I think there will be some regret in the future that a whole architectural period has been obliterated. Well done for capturing it.

Too much of the city is being developed for students. The only place I'd like to see converted to flats is St James's park!

I'm guessing the windows are now double glazed, rather than the originals which were probably single glazed with metal frames? The concrete panels on the gable look surprisingly unmarked, but maybe they were part of the renovation from a few years ago? Photo-wise, I guess the foreground trees at the bottom of the frame don't help, but you've presented the main part of the building well.

from an era past, but still worth a shot. Not too bad in my eyes.

Not too bad in my eyes.

+1

It is important to use photography to document
editorial content like in this case.

My tip would be WB and keystone tweaks.

Back