Report from the Mach Loop - Friday 29th!

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
After being clouded out on Thursday I decided to give it another go yesterday - it was a much better day though still pretty slow.

I thought I'd try a new spot for me and went up to what I would call the Cad East Entrance, A hill before Cad East. The view from their was fantastic:

#1 View
Cad_0001.jpg

For the entrance to work well the aircraft need to be very low but everything was coming through high yesterday. That said I think this Typhoon deserves a mention:

#2 Typhoon getting closer!
Cad_0002.jpg

#3 Weee
Cad_0003.jpg

#4 eeeee
Cad_0004.jpg

#5 eeee....ah!
Cad_0005.jpg

#6 100% crop for the pixel peepers (how much do I love this lens!)
crop.jpg

When it got to twelve I decided to move over the the Cad West Entrance which turned out to be a pretty vertical climb! It wasn't so bad I just didn't want to look down to see how far I'd fall if the scrub I was grabbing onto decided to let me fall!

After a while on the entrance I decided to tab over to the guys on Cad West and have a chat, a little while after arriving all the other passes were put to shame by a Hawk from 208 Sqn (Thats the beginners to fast jets). All eyes on the photographers as they came through!

#7 Great pass
Cad_0006.jpg

#8 Attention Right - another 100% crop
crop2.jpg

So that was it, in a nutshell. Thanks to Barry, Mark, Martin, Graham, Jim et al.

Oh yes and I stupidly forgot to take suncream...my face hurts :razz:

Last edited:
Hi good to meet up yesterday - yes I can imagine your face is sore !! was looking "bright" when you were at the fance line with myself, Martin and Mark reinforcing the nikon club !!

Great set seen as it was relatively slow (or have we just been spoilt recently)

The tail on "our" typhoon was BE

Do like #7 worthy of a single post !:)

Anyway a pleasant enough day and came away without any ticks !!! :clap:

So all in all a good day

Thanks for the comments Graham. I'm pleased with the hawk shot

Here's a shot with the tail number, your quite right about it being BE - I think Neils was BA - oh well.
Cad_BE_0001.jpg

Good to meet you James on Thursday...
Shame not much Traffic for you on Friday, but still some great shots to take away...

The Typhoon I had at Tebay was coded 'BA'

Names on the underside ~ Tech V Riatt & Cpl L Whelan

See you again soon

Hi Rob.

Another convert!

I've looked at that hill on a number of visits to Cad and always fancied giving it a go but as you say they will have to come in low.

I'm not a fan of "undersiders" but #5 is a cracker, well done :).

Nice shots - I was at the Bwlch all day and saw absolutely nothing :-( Well - I did see the typhoon and a few hawks from a distance, but absolutely nothing came up the Dinas pass :-(

My first low flying photography trip too, but not to be disheartened, I am going to give Corris corner a try, probably on Wednesday next week (weather permitting)....

Really nice stuff Rob. Shame you didn't get up the hill on Thursday morning. There was definitely one Hawk through!;)

Cheesy

Hi Rob, great pics... i am on the edge of dumping my canon and switching to nikon, my pics wernt that good, maybe something wasnt set up right? think it was set to centre weighted metering, think it should of been partial... dont really know.. Was good chattin again, maybe see you at cosford or shawbury ? .
Barry (Bazz)

Excellent shots, especially number 5. I would love to go to the mach loop at some point myself.

Hi Rob, great pics... i am on the edge of dumping my canon and switching to nikon, my pics wernt that good, maybe something wasnt set up right? think it was set to centre weighted metering, think it should of been partial... dont really know.. Was good chattin again, maybe see you at cosford or shawbury ? .
Barry (Bazz)

You certainly wouldn't be the first guy to switch over to Nikon...

That said there's really no reason you shouldn't be able to get good shots from your setup. Get chatting about settings next time you head up the hill but take everything with a pinch of salt and experiment to find what works best for you :)

As for metering, I was trying out a new approach which was to use matrix metering for the hawks and spot for front liners(also using spot if the hawks went high to stop them being against the bright sky).

Normally I meter evaluated and adjust EV for the aircraft and conditions.

Are the crops with the 300 Rob and #5 #7 are stunners(y)

Yes mate, all these shots (apart from the wide at the start) were taken with the Nikkor 300 F/4 AF-S lens that I bought here on TP a few weeks ago (y)

Big Al: Nice to meet you :wave:

Just seen bottom of the post ...so I wasnt the only one with a burnt face then:LOL:

Hi Rob nice pictures and nice to meet you on friday,I was the guy from Aberporth and my grandson Daniel was with me.
I have just joined this site and when I have worked out how I will post my Canon efforts from friday.They are currently on "Warplane" my regular site.
Regards
Jim

Hi Rob nice pictures and nice to meet you on friday,I was the guy from Aberporth and my grandson Daniel was with me.
I have just joined this site and when I have worked out how I will post my Canon efforts from friday.They are currently on "Warplane" my regular site.
Regards
Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim, it was nice to meet you and Daniel - for once I wasn't the youngest on the mountain!

I'm thinking about going tomorrow morning. I might try the Cad East Entrance again and walk over to cad west around lunchtime....

Back