Reptiles, Butterflies, Spiders, Bugs...for 2019.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Its been a slow start to the year/season for me...seems like a long Winter...motivation has been down some.
I think the 2nd half of May, should finally start to see our wildlife become a lot more active/photogenic.
Anyway, i thought i should start a close up/macro thread here, highlights of 2019........................might kickstart my motivation too.

Question/Comments always encouraged, cheers Paul.

Several images of my chosen subjects.

Adult Adder(male) Vipera berus(uncropped, S.O.O.C.). 17/2/19. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Jumping Spider(young). garden photo. 2nd March 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Red Mason Bee(garden photo). 3rd April 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Green Hairstreak Butterfly (uncropped). 6th May 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Green Hairstreak Butterfly (uncropped). 6th May 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

That bee, those green hairstreaks, wow, those are worthy of printing and framing.

That bee, those green hairstreaks, wow, those are worthy of printing and framing.

Thanks mate, i was very lucky with that Green Hairstreak, ive been chasing a good image of that species for years!

Still very quite here in the UK(because of the recent weather/climate)...Ive yet to see any Common Blues/Brown Argus etc, emerge on my Kent patch.
Hows it been for you?...normally, you get those type of species emerge a couple of weeks before us.

Nice set but those last three images are wonderful

Thanks mate, i was very lucky with that Green Hairstreak, ive been chasing a good image of that species for years!

Still very quite here in the UK(because of the recent weather/climate)...I`ve yet to see any Common Blues/Brown Argus etc, emerge on my Kent patch.
Hows it been for you?...normally, you get those type of species emerge a couple of weeks before us.
Been early for some species and like everywhere, it all depends on where you live as to what species you will see.
I know of someone that has found lots of early risers compared to me and she`s looking at 1000 ish metres alt.

Nice set but those last three images are wonderful

Cheers Alf, i did shoot several more images of those 2 subjects.

Been early for some species and like everywhere, it all depends on where you live as to what species you will see.
I know of someone that has found lots of early risers compared to me and she`s looking at 1000 ish metres alt.

Me living where i do, i dont really think about Alt etc, but i bet it must make some difference.
Well, this weeks weather looks real good, so im betting that Common Blue/Brown Argus etc, should emerge on my Kent patches.
I went out Sunday, an finally saw some Small Coppers, as well as the usual suspects - Peacock, Brimstone, Comma, Orange Tip, Large White etc.
So things are on the up now

More great work Paul

Last edited:
The green hairstreak is fantastic.
Can I ask where you spotted it?

The green hairstreak is fantastic.
Can I ask where you spotted it?

Thanks for that.
Ive been chasing/photographing Butterflies for over a decade now...and on that day, i captured my best Green Hairsteak images to date.
Location - Queensdown Warren, Kent. 6/5/19. 3.20pm.
I had a terrible day, serious wind, cold, a total of just 5 butterflies seen on the day (2 locations visited).
I was about to give up, when i sighted some Green Hairstreak activity (the previous week, same location) very good numbers of Green Hairstreak (up to 20!).
Anyway, because it was so cold in the wind, these Hairstreaks didnt move much...normally this species flys eratic/fast, not settling for long.
Moral of the story - dont give up, an dont be afraid to search for Butterflies in less than ideal/poor conditions...you might just get lucky, like i did.
Cheers Paul.

I was going to comment on the first batch, but the whole thread is amazing. Very consistent excellent results, inspiring. Well taken.

Thanks for your comment Andrew, which is always appreciated.
Theres plenty of close up/macro photography/photographers, on places like Flickr (as well as this site) which also inspire me, in trying to produce better images too.

Several more of my Butterfly images.
None of these are cropped.
Cheers Paul.
PS. Big wind/heavy rain down here in Kent today...but tomorrow looks much better, so hopefully i'll get out for a few hours!?

Mating pair of Common Blue Butterflies (uncropped). 20th May 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Male Adonis Blue Butterfly (uncropped). 24th May 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Female Common Blue Butterfly (uncropped). 27th May 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

2 images from last Sunday afternoon. Conditions were not the best...poor light, very light rain in the wind.
Not many butterflies around, but i never give up!...you just never know what might present itself. ;)

A beautiful, freshly emerged female Common Blue. Images are not cropped. 2 camera/set ups used.
1st image - Panny FZ150/500D close up lens.
2nd image - Panny G7/Raynox 150.

P1890897-copy-to-800.jpg

P1050598-copy-800.jpg

Back