Resampling images?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have been scanning B&W large format negatives at 3200dpi on an Epson V750.

I now realise in hindsight that I maybe should have used 2400dpi as the visible difference is minimal/inidistinguishable but the file size difference is quite marked, ie 100MB v 180MB on average.

However this would mean rescanning hundreds of negatives.

Should I just resample the images in Photoshop to 2400dpi?

In terms of storage I'd simply keep them as they are. You'll get 5,500 files/TB as opposed to 10,000/TB....storage is cheap nowadays.
You may of course have other considerations.

Bob

In terms of storage I'd simply keep them as they are. You'll get 5,500 files/TB as opposed to 10,000/TB....storage is cheap nowadays.
You may of course have other considerations.

Bob

Thanks for your reply Bob.

SIze is one consdieration but the main one is the load up time for each image. My PC has 16GB of RAM but even so it still takes a few seconds to display..

I've also come to the conclusion (it may be erroenous) that no image really needs to be more than 100MB big, obviously 35mm needs to be scanned at a higher res. I use 4000dpi for them and they come out at about 80MB each.

Hi,

I have been scanning B&W large format negatives at 3200dpi on an Epson V750.

I now realise in hindsight that I maybe should have used 2400dpi as the visible difference is minimal/inidistinguishable but the file size difference is quite marked, ie 100MB v 180MB on average.

However this would mean rescanning hundreds of negatives.

Should I just resample the images in Photoshop to 2400dpi?

Downsizing will work well if you find it necessary. You can setup a batch job and go away for dinner. I would first research if you can improve file size by changing format from say uncompressed TIFF to LZW TIFF or PSD
Some scans may only need 8bit instead of full 16, but I'd avoid throwing away valuable data and resolution unless its basically fake (like 100MP mobile pics!) or not important.

Downsizing will work well if you find it necessary. You can setup a batch job and go away for dinner. I would first research if you can improve file size by changing format from say uncompressed TIFF to LZW TIFF or PSD
Some scans may only need 8bit instead of full 16, but I'd avoid throwing away valuable data and resolution unless its basically fake (like 100MP mobile pics!) or not important.

Thanks, that's a good idea, using compression. I'll try 3200 LZW v 2400 TIFF and see what sizes I get. :)

Back