Rescued Grey Seal Pup

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd share this pic and story from yesterday.

Seal Pup Rescue, Shetland. by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

I took our Jack Russell, Lottie, to a local beach for a walk late yesterday afternoon. It was almost dark, and she started standing on her back legs and wuffing (never barks) as she had found a Grey Seal pup high up the beach. As they never have their pups there I was pretty certain it had been washed off the rocks at a colony a couple of miles away by storm Barney. It had some injuries to a front flipper and it's chin, so I telephoned the Hillswick Wildlife Sanctuary, who asked if I could bring it in (have been involved in a few rescues so I was happy to continue)

Dropped dog off - picked stepson up, and after getting a blanket over the pup's head and bundling it in to a fishbox, we puffed and wheezed as we carried the little guy a mile back to the car. Off we went..... but as we were driving we heard snorting and commotion from the back - the pup had escaped the box and climbed over the rear seats! As I braked it shot in between the front seats and started hissing and snapping at us! After a hasty exit from the car, we managed to cover it's head again and get it back in the box and securely contained in the boot. Thankfully that was the last of the drama, and the pup is now recovering in safety. If anyone wants to see updates on the pup's progress, please have a look at https://www.facebook.com/HillswickWildlifeSanctuary/

John

That's brilliant but wow you must have nearly crashed when that came over seats snarling

Back