Resin mounted my first picture

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
So I thought I would have a go at covering a picture in resin, looked easy enough to do. So bought a Art Resin sample kit, just enough to do one 16x12 print.

It was dead easy to do, learned a few things. Should have used MDF not plywood but as it was a test I used what was on hand. Should have also cut the ply a little smaller then the print, Mounted the print and then trimmed it to the ply size.

Not sure I got the mixing right, it was cloudy while mixing (is that normal?) But once it was on the print and I got the blow torch on the cloudy look disappeared, guessing the cloudy look was just bubbles.

IMG-20170220-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
Resin + blowtorch could be a dodgy experience! :D
Looks like you worked through it very well.

Well now it's cured there are a few flaws. Not a resin issue but me not being careful when it comes to dust failing on the tacky resin.

But yeah it does look great, already ordered some 18x12 prints.

I've not heard of this process it look really cool I might have a go myself when I get something I want to print so large.

Did you follow a tutorial or anything? Curious as to the whys & hows...

Did you follow a tutorial or anything? Curious as to the whys & hows...
Just search youtube for art resin, there are couple tutorials. It really is dead simple and doesn't require too many tool. Art Resin has a 30 minute pot time so you have enough time to coat a print. A blow torch is essential though.

This is where I bought it
easy Composites

Last edited:
Well now it's cured there are a few flaws. Not a resin issue but me not being careful when it comes to dust failing on the tacky resin.

I use this kind of two pack stuff for varnishing fishing rods and have picked up a few tips over the years.

If this stuff is anything like the ones I use you should be able to sand it smooth and re-coat if you get stuff stuck in the resin or if 'fish-eyes' form caused by contamination on the print. Grease and silicone contamination are your enemies.

Also a heat gun will do the bubble bursting if a flame isn't available, although it will move the resin around - which can be useful.

Cheers Ed, I might pick up some fine sand paper and give it a sand. If I screw up no biggy as it's only a test peace.

You can also use a Stanley blade as a scraper. It'll look awful when sanded, but remarkably the second coat will bring it back to crystal clear. Strange stuff. Worth ruining a test piece to see what can be done to correct mistakes though.

Back