RESOLVED :) Bronica ETRS lens removal problem

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Although the lens mount release catch on my ETRS sldes as it is meant to do but it is not disengaging whatever "catch" mechanism is located inside the body, thus I am unable to remove the lens presently attached to it.

Anybody else had this problem?

Help / advice most welcome before I lose my patience with it.

I'm not familiar with Bronicas, but one thread I just found says that with some you have to have the shutter cocked to remove the lens. I sippose that that's too simple/inappropriate to your camera?

If the release is sliding back, that would suggest that the shutter is cocked, which I believe is the only interlock. You could try taking the film back off, switching it to multi-exposure and cycling the shutter, leaving it cocked and trying the lens removal then.

Similar to NomadZ....select the lever showing X then wind on fully to make sure it's cocked, then slide release lever back while turning the lens release collar h'mm the Nikon rotation direction. Looking with the lens off there are two things that retract when sliding the lever back, the pin is obvious but not sure what the other does.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys

Yes the lens does have to be cocked to enable removal from the body.

I have no idea what has happened as I was using the camera and had already changed lenses on a few occasions.

The 50mm that is attached atm was initially attached this morning, but came off and remounted without any problem as did the other two lenses, 40mm and 150mm that I used.hence why I am at a loss as to why the darned thing won't come off now

I'll have another play around with it and try cycling the shutter as suggested after a cuppa and a calm down, otherwise I'm likely to get too heavy handed with it and cause irrepairable damage

I'm wondering is it possible to access the lens release catch from the inside of the camera from the rear

Thanks for your input guys

Yes the lens does have to be cocked to enable removal from the body.

I have no idea what has happened as I was using the camera and had already changed lenses on a few occasions.

The 50mm that is attached atm was initially attached this morning, but came off and remounted without any problem as did the other two lenses, 40mm and 150mm that I used.hence why I am at a loss as to why the darned thing won't come off now

I'll have another play around with it and try cycling the shutter as suggested after a cuppa and a calm down, otherwise I'm likely to get too heavy handed with it and cause irrepairable damage

I'm wondering is it possible to access the lens release catch from the inside of the camera from the rear

Maybe with the fresnel glass out of the way and a small hook?

OK this isn't looking good

I've cycled the shutter for what seems an eternity and everything operates just fine except that lens mount release which from what I can make out cannot be accessed, neither from the back nor from the top with the Fresnel removed.

The spring tension in the slider is evident....it feels the same as it always has.

I've only ever experienced such as this once before on a Nikon SLR body where the shutter release button worked but when depressed, the pin that locks the lens in place didn't retract completely into the camera body........It remained protruded by the tiniest fraction, something like a quarter of a mm but enough to make removal of a lens nigh on impossible.
It took days and many many attempts of gentle persuasion to get it to release.

I'm presuming that the ETRS mount has a similar pin design

Anyway I've put it away for today as it's really distressing me ......Paying out for a repair or a replacement body was not planned and in addition it's one of my fave cameras, not least of all as it was a present from my mother:(

Maybe it'll play ball tomorrow ...( fingers crossed)

Perhaps turning the lens like you would to put it on before trying again to remove it might work? Maybe it wasn't quite fully clicked on so the pin hasn't moved into the right place to retract?

Asha,

Have you made sure the lens release button,s locking ring is released, the collar needs to be turned clockwise 45 degrees.

Last edited:
I've cycled the shutter for what seems an eternity and everything operates just fine except that lens mount release which from what I can make out cannot be accessed, neither from the back nor from the top with the Fresnel removed.

Looking inside with the lens off there is the pin also rectangular pin, when you press the release slider these two move out of the way....well as far as I can see they are both operated by the same lever, so if you could get a hook under the lever you might be able to operate the slider by pulling backwards. It's keyhole surgery as the mirror is close also the lever is not easy to get at, but maybe you could move the mirror out of the way to shine a torch to see what you are doing???
bronica].jpg

Last edited:
Asha,

Have you made sure the lens release button,s locking ring is released, the collar needs to be turned clockwise 45 degrees.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what effect the locking ring on the shutter release would have regarding this lens removal problem, but I appreciate your input Rich.
The collar is released and the shutter cocks and fires fine.

Looking inside with the lens off there is the pin also rectangular pin, when you press the release slider these two move out of the way....well as far as I can see they are both operated by the same lever, so if you could get a hook under the lever you might be able to operate the slider by pulling backwards. It's keyhole surgery as the mirror is close also the lever is not easy to get at, but maybe you could move the mirror out of the way to shine a torch to see what you are doing???
View attachment 98646

If there is anyway of accessing the lever mechanism then I have several small tools ( tweezers or a tic removal tool for the cats) that will probably work to pull or push it from a distance

Thanks for the photo and explanation.;)

I might have to attempt some micro keyhole surgery then........Dr Asha!:confused::D

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what effect the locking ring on the shutter release would have regarding this lens removal problem, but I appreciate your input Rich.
The collar is released and the shutter cocks and fires fine.

If there is anyway of accessing the lever mechanism then I have several small tools ( tweezers or a tic removal tool for the cats) that will probably work to pull or push it from a distance

Thanks for the photo and explanation.;)

I might have to attempt some micro keyhole surgery then........Dr Asha!:confused::D

Well I thought with the fresnel screen out of the way you could get at it more easily that way..but you said NO. With both pins withdrawn there is no mechanical way that would prevent the lens turning, so it would seem either something is worn or broken...you could email Miles to see what he says and at the last resort would have to do what I did with the Nikon 301 with the same problem as I don't think dismantling the lens is an option and would need another basic body.

IT'S OFF:)

Not sure what if anything is damage though as it was a very forceful push of the slider and a brutal twist of the lens using a silicon jar lid opener device to obtain a better grip

I'm sure that I subconsciously muttered a prayer:D

The sharp "snap" sound was something of a concern which makes me believe that something is broken although at first glance the lens looks fine and the release mechanism and mount on the body appear to function as they should.

For the moment I daren't remount this or another lens though for fear of the same problem arising

You're going to have to sometime...

:D
I'd check your other lenses to compare them with the problem one and have a Google to see what the mount should look like before mounting anything.

Cycle the shutter with no lens fitted to see if the bits that move are moving correctly.

Not sure what if anything is damage though as it was a very forceful push of the slider and a brutal twist of the lens using a silicon jar lid opener device to obtain a better grip

The sharp "snap" sound was something of a concern which makes me believe that something is broken although at first glance the lens looks fine and the release mechanism and mount on the body appear to function as they should.

For the moment I daren't remount this or another lens though for fear of the same problem arising

I've got William Cheung's book The Bronica Manual, but it wasn't a lot more help than you were getting on here. The photos (irony!) aren't particularly good in it either, but I'm happy to scan the relevant pages if you pm your email address Asha.

I've got William Cheung's book The Bronica Manual, but it wasn't a lot more help than you were getting on here. The photos (irony!) aren't particularly good in it either, but I'm happy to scan the relevant pages if you pm your email address Asha.

Any pics of the lens mounting flanges, both on the lens and the body along with any images of the release mechanism / pins/ levers will be a great help Peter....Thank you, I'll PM you now

Hurrah......but don't like the sound of a snapping noise, have you another lens to compare? Also in my shot is the green pin near the rectangular pin (shutter mechanism) still there.

The best pictures appear to be Googling ' bronica etrs body', if you Google 'mount' there are no clear images.
View attachment 98698

Another, bigger, image: http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?attachments/img_0886-jpg.83292/
Hurrah......but don't like the sound of a snapping noise, have you another lens to compare? Also in my shot is the green pin near the rectangular pin (shutter mechanism) still there.

Thanks for the pics etc guys, in particular the info emailed to me by Peter.

I'll occupy myself with it all this week and hopefully pin ( excuse the pun!) point where the problem lies

I have 5 etrs lenes so plenty to compare against.

I think and hope that it is the body at fault as opposed to the lens

If the issue is not repairable or simply not financially viable, then replacing a shell body will be a cheaper option than the 50mm lens

Thanks for the pics etc guys, in particular the info emailed to me by Peter.

I'll occupy myself with it all this week and hopefully pin ( excuse the pun!) point where the problem lies

I have 5 etrs lenes so plenty to compare against.

I think and hope that it is the body at fault as opposed to the lens

If the issue is not repairable or simply not financially viable, then replacing a shell body will be a cheaper option than the 50mm lens

Go on try a different lens on the body, I dare you o_O At least you'll know if it is the body or lens...and no need to force the lens off if you have a hacksaw handy :eek: and not being a complete Nikon fan boy didn't mind sawing and chiselling the 301 :D but would be sad with the Bronnie. :crying:

"Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what effect the locking ring on the shutter release would have regarding this lens removal problem, but I appreciate your input Rich.
The collar is released and the shutter cocks and fires fine."

I was talking about the locking collar on the lens release button as per the instruction manual. :)

http://www.cameramanuals.org/bronica/bronica_etrc.pdf

Item 7

Last edited:
"Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what effect the locking ring on the shutter release would have regarding this lens removal problem, but I appreciate your input Rich.

I was talking about the locking collar on the lens release button as per the instruction manual. :)

Item 7

There are two versions of the ETRs, the first one is metal body and the later 2nd more plastic..on the 2nd one, the release has changed to a slider on the side of the body and I think Asha has this one.

There are two versions of the ETRs, the first one is metal body and the later 2nd more plastic..on the 2nd one, the release has changed to a slider on the side of the body and I think Asha has this one.

Thanks Brian, Perhaps Asha should have been more precise. Asha always goes for cheap plastic.:)

After all he does live in that French country.

Asha always goes for cheap plastic.:)

After all he does live in that French country.

Dammit you've sussed me out :confused:.....ya didn't notice at the Peaks meet that my Leica M-4 is a French plastic copy though did ya??:D

Item 7

Thanks for clearing that up Brian......If there was only one version, Rich would still get confused :exit::D

Ah Richard we (inc me) both have excuses for buying plastic ones as I think Asha's mother bought his and it was the only ones you could buy new :D h'mm what's the betting someones going to say "there was a choice for years on the overlap between buying 1st and 2nd models" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dammit you've sussed me out :confused:.....ya didn't notice at the Peaks meet that my Leica M-4 is a French plastic copy though did ya??:D

I did not bring that up,but,as soon as you landed I could smell the plastic fantastic. :)

Am I mistaken or are there some some variations in lens mount tolerances? I have an ETRS body on which I can mount and dismount my 50mm f:28 MC with ease but mounting or removing the 40mm f:4 PE requires much more effort. The same discrepancy appears with the rear lens cap that came w/ the 40mm: it fits loosely on the 50mm & doesn't stay on. The 50 mm lens appears to function just fine but does the switch from an MC to a PE lens explain anything?

Am I mistaken or are there some some variations in lens mount tolerances? I have an ETRS body on which I can mount and dismount my 50mm f:28 MC with ease but mounting or removing the 40mm f:4 PE requires much more effort. The same discrepancy appears with the rear lens cap that came w/ the 40mm: it fits loosely on the 50mm & doesn't stay on. The 50 mm lens appears to function just fine but does the switch from an MC to a PE lens explain anything?

Interesting!

I wonder if other etrs owners experience similar.

I can't say that I noticed any difference in the ease of mounting of the 3 lenses that I was using.....all of which were mounted and removed at least a couple of times only a short time before the 50mm jammed

Dunno about PE, but have one E-II and the rest MC....... and no problem.

The following lenses all fit fine on my ETRS body with the slide lens release thingy...

MC 150mm f3.5
E-II 75mm f2.8
MC 50mm f2.8
PE 40mm f4

I have the 150mm, 105mm, 75mm, 50mm and 40mm. In both MC and PE.

All fit as they should.

Update; GOOD NEWS albeit a little strange

I've studied my lenses against each other and against pics forwarded to me along with others that I've found online

In addition, I've gone over and over the lens mount of the body as well as the lens locking / release mechanism.

I've found absolutely nothing reassembling a fault.
So, perhaps stupidly, I decided to chance mounting a lens on the body ( it had to be done at some point ) so I chose the 150mm.

It mounted and removed smoothly without any problems evident.

I worked my way through the 105, 75 and 40mm lenses,....No issues with any of them.

The 50mm, the lens that originally jammed, I left while last, and indeed I was somewhat apprehensive about attaching it to the body.
It went on with no issues and incredibly, after cycling the shutter a few times, it detached just as easily.

I've mounted, dismounted all five lenses several times, cycling the shutter with each, and everything appears to be fine so what on earth caused the 50mm to "stick", I have no idea.
Similarly the "snapping" noise when it eventually released looks to have caused no obvious damage .

Much as I want to know why the jam occurred, I'm delighted and very relieved to have my ETRS back up and running:)

Obvious reason would be it wasn't mounted quite right in the first place and that's why it played silly beggars.

Obvious reason would be it wasn't mounted quite right in the first place and that's why it played silly beggars.
It's certainly sounds like that could have been the case ......I would have thought that the shutter wouldn't have operated though

I've been wondering if the electrical contacts were the culprit, making the snapping noise when they gave.......however there's no sign of any damage to them

Watched the new-ish Ghostbusters movie last night. Just sayin' :whistle:

Back