1. McNyat

McNyat

Name:
    Ciaran
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi, could someone let me know if a full refund is available if returning a used lens (if not totally satisfied with it)?

2. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Depends on who you bought it from and when. If you bought from a business over the interweb you get 14 days to change your mind so long so you have not been using it - you have to pay return postage. If you bought privately from an individual you have no rights.

Many businesses offer much better terms than the legal minimum - you need to ask them what they offer.

McNyat likes this.
  3. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No

He did. The is a mpb.com forum ;)

McNyat likes this.
  4. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So it is! A quick look at MPB's web site will tell him better than asking here.

5. McNyat

McNyat

Name:
    Ciaran
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yep, it would be mpb. Just that ive heard that some lenses can br soft when shooting wide open and want to make sure that im happy that the hard earned cash is well spent, and if not can i return?

6. Dave1

Dave1

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Their website is actually at odds with the law, you have 14 days to return under the Consumer Contract Regulations 2013.

They say:
    https://intercom.help/mpbcom/after-sales/returning-a-non-faulty-item-within-7-days

The law says:

https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

More details, including the fact the retailer has to refund within 14 days of the return.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

Someone should tell Kyra she's breaking the law...

McNyat likes this.
  7. mpb.com

mpb.com Advertiser

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi @McNyat - I never received a notification about your post so apologies for not responding sooner.

How long have you had the lens for and from what you've said here, there are no functioning issues with it?

Clare

8. Dave1

Dave1

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I note you still haven't fixed the page that is at odds with the current UK law?

9. mpb.com

mpb.com Advertiser

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi @Dave1 - we do have a 7 day return policy but we can be flexible depending on what the situation is with the customer returning their items.

Thanks

10. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    14 days returns is the LAW. So a customers situation and your flexibility shouldn't even come into it.

To be more specific a customer has 14 days in which to notify you of their intent to return and item and then a further 14 days to get the item back to you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Dave1 likes this.
  11. Dave1

Dave1

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    As @ecoleman says, you cannot "be flexible" when the law specifically details a 14 day return. By attempting to pretend the period is 7 days you are breaking the law.

In fact, you are possibly opening yourself up to the customer legally being allowed to cancel and return the product at any time in the first 12 months if you don't correctly advise them of their legal right to return up to 14 days after delivery.

https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    ecoleman likes this.
  12. Archie747

Archie747

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Did it use to be 7days under the old law (Distance Selling Regs)?

13. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    7 working days. This was quite a few years ago now (2013 I believe) so no excuse for not updating the website or knowing the current, 5 year old law.

Archie747, hashcake and Dave1 like this.
  14. mpb.com

mpb.com Advertiser

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi, apologies for the late reply here - I've been out of office and also checking this with my managers.

We do offer the legal 14 day return policy but on the website and in other messaging we say 7 as it allows for working days and time for the returned kit to arrive back with us.

I have however passed on your feedback to get this updated on the website to make it clearer for our customers. Please let me know if anyone has more questions.

Thanks,

Clare - MPB

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  15. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    :thinking:

16. Dave1

Dave1

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense.

The law allows the customer 14 days from delivery to notify you they wish to cancel and a further 14 days in which to actually return the item, that means a customer has up to 28 days to actually return the item.

Any attempt to deceive your customers to think it's 7 days is against the law.

It sounds like even your managers need to educate themselves into what the law says, maybe a guide from Which would help:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online

17. McNyat

McNyat

Name:
    Ciaran
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Clare,
    Sorry only getting to reply now... Just asking if I were to buy a lens if it was acceptable to return it if not totally happy with it, even if there is nothing technically wrong with it? Its just that I would be a bit on the fussy side, and if Im going to spend upwards on a thousand pounds on a lens I would have to be really happy with it...

18. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You can return it regardless of what MPB staff tell you. You cannot use it for a few days and then decide to return it though. You have the right to examine the goods as you would in a shop and return it if it is not suitable.

john.margetts likes this.
  19. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That’s a pretty lame explanation. I’m really struggling to see what “working days” has to do with it.

It’s very simply; 14 calendar days to inform you of their intent to return an item and a further 14 calendar days after notification to get the item back to you.

Dave1 likes this.
  20. Archie747

Archie747

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Having looked at their T&C, they say:

7.1 You have the right to cancel your order of to return items if not as described within 7 days by: (not my typo)

I am not a lawyer but this appears wrong on two counts:

7 days should be 14 and it does not matter if they are not as described does not matter, no reason is required.

Gov.com states:

You must tell the customer they can cancel their order up to 14 days after their order is delivered. They don’t need to give a reason for cancelling.

If you don’t tell the customer about their right to cancel, they can cancel at any time in the next 12 months. If you tell them about the right to cancel during these 12 months, they have 14 days to cancel from when you told them.

Dave1 and ecoleman like this.
  21. mpb.com

mpb.com Advertiser

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi again, I'm just checking with our returns department on what the policy would be here. Thanks!

22. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    REALLY!!!! Well you’ve just lost me as a future customer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  23. mpb.com

mpb.com Advertiser

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hello everyone - this issue has been raised and is currently being reviewed. I can assure you that this is being taken seriously and is being updated.

We're always happy to take on board feedback from our customers - we want to provide the best experience for when buying and selling your equipment, so thank you for raising this issue with us.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Clare

24. mpb.com

mpb.com Advertiser

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi again - this will be the same policy for all customers, regardless of their value. As I have also just posted on this thread, our return policy will be updated too so please bear with us.

25. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Well that's good I guess, although I'm not sure why you should be learning the law from your customers. You've been provided a number of links in this thread, I suggest you familiarise yourselves with the law and not rely on your customers feedback.

Dave1 likes this.