weekly Rick448 52 Challenge 2020 - Artificial plus technique added.

Reason why this image of Natiya is a cracker is, the main image is in focus and Tatiya`s eyelashes are good and sharp plus in focus hair. Great catch lights in her eyes too Rick, and imo it is the best photo to date you have taken of your daughter :clap::clap:
Thanks Dave, that is much appreciated, I had to rush trying to get her to do as I asked, now she is 5 that seems to be something that is more challenging :D I am working on getting my lighting gear downstairs and stored in the garage, that way it is much less hassle to get set up. I love the backdrop too, I will certainly be trying to use that in a number of other ways, Lisa is next on my hit list ;)

Nice shot - and nice new backdrop. Square crop ro remove some of that empty space at the right?

Nice shot - and nice new backdrop. Square crop ro remove some of that empty space at the right?

Thanks for popping by, I might try that crop idea :)

Lovely image for snappers choice great focus on the eyes.

Thanks for commenting, the X-T3 did well, it is like herding cats with her now.

Yep - nailed it :)

I really like that Rick, cheeky smile, very colourful, and I agree with Dave the square crop nailed it (y)

I really like that Rick, cheeky smile, very colourful, and I agree with Dave the square crop nailed it (y)
Thanks, I agree, it is an improvement.

lol, I was going to ask about a square crop to balance the image before I scrolled through the comments. I totally agree, the insta crop has nailed it :)
Lovely photo. Bright, smiley, sharp, well put together (y).

(Oddly I was working with lights, backdrops with my daughter and a friend today, practicing headshot photos as I've been "volunteered" to do some headshots for their performing arts course).

lol, I was going to ask about a square crop to balance the image before I scrolled through the comments. I totally agree, the insta crop has nailed it :)
Lovely photo. Bright, smiley, sharp, well put together (y).

(Oddly I was working with lights, backdrops with my daughter and a friend today, practicing headshot photos as I've been "volunteered" to do some headshots for their performing arts course).
Thanks Tim,

I am determined to do more of this, I just wish I had some willing volunteers to practice on.. :)

Nice image, really like the bright colours, bright smile and excellent lighting, not much else needs saying really.

Nice image, really like the bright colours, bright smile and excellent lighting, not much else needs saying really.
Many thanks, improving this type of shot is one of my (many) objectives, unfortunately most of them aren't photography related.

Nice image, very natural look, agree the square crop is better with more impact.

Nice image, very natural look, agree the square crop is better with more impact.
Thanks, much appreciated :) I should have also shot more in portrait orientation, and will do next time.

Your main image for Discarded is a cracker, Rick - I think it's the large, deep shadow that provides such a lot of impact and draws the eye straight in. Great colours in the sky and detail in the long boom arm too - great choice of subject (y)

I agree with the earlier comments that the original image for week 5 is lovely but the square crop has really lifted it and makes it more immediately. The strong pinks are a good choice and she looks really happy to be posing for you. You're lucky, my two stopped posing for me years ago :ROFLMAO:

Your main image for Discarded is a cracker, Rick - I think it's the large, deep shadow that provides such a lot of impact and draws the eye straight in. Great colours in the sky and detail in the long boom arm too - great choice of subject (y)

I agree with the earlier comments that the original image for week 5 is lovely but the square crop has really lifted it and makes it more immediately. The strong pinks are a good choice and she looks really happy to be posing for you. You're lucky, my two stopped posing for me years ago :ROFLMAO:
Many thanks for the comments Andrea. :)

Wild.

As I am going to struggle getting anything done this week I had an attempt at showing the wild weather outside, the idea was that a long shutter speed would show the movement in the bushes and cloud movement. I didn't quite work as planned. But at least I've got something, my other option was the wild deer in the field behind the house, this is the only time I wish I'd kept the 100-400...

DSCF5095 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

DSCF2678 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Nice idea capturing the wild weather Rick,
I had similar thoughts too, but difficult to show the movement with a "still" though isn't it?

Nice idea capturing the wild weather Rick,
I had similar thoughts too, but difficult to show the movement with a "still" though isn't it?
Yeah it is, if we ad some larger trees in the garden it may have bee better, I'm not able to get out today to try it, so I'm afraid this will have to do. :)

I find something surreal about the wild image, do not know why really. Really like it.

Well you can see the movement so it's a success.
Nice to be able to view the deers too.

Thanks Clive,
I must say it is nice to see the wildlife in the field behind the house most mornings.

That`s a good effort on the first shot to get the blur, maybe a longer ss :thinking: Liking the 2nd shot too.

Thanks Dave,
I tried for a longer SS, but that was as long as I could get, and that was also with an ND filter on as well.

I find something surreal about the wild image, do not know why really. Really like it.

Thanks Roger,

Much appreciated :)

very hard to capture those winds you have captured movement though and the contrast of the still furniture

Broken- some of Natiya's LOL dolls, these have seen better days, but are hopefully repairable, at present they are broken though.

DSCF2726 copy by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Rick

How could you do that to Natiya's toys ;-(
I like the reflections and the colours are nice and bright.

Pete

Hi Rick

How could you do that to Natiya's toys ;-(
I like the reflections and the colours are nice and bright.

Pete
Good shot. The reflections really make this image.

Thanks both, I shot it with a Godox V1 bounded off the ceiling to give the reflections.

*No dolls were hurt in the making of this image ;)

Broken- some of Natiya's LOL dolls, these have seen better days, but are hopefully repairable, at present they are broken though.
I love the reflections and the pastel colours (y)
Now put them back together again Sid ( toy story ) style :D

Broken - How cruel are you breaking your daughters toys for a photo! :p Great take on the theme love the reflections
LOL Dolls!! We have loads at home. Wish i'd thought of that!! Superb Picture.
I love the reflections and the pastel colours (y)
Now put them back together again Sid ( toy story ) style :D

Thanks all, they are all put back together ready for the next adventure. We have around 60 of the damn things, Well over £1K to buy... just think what other camera I could have put that towards... :D

Nice colourful image for broken, the reflections are really nice too. Nice take on the theme.

Back