weekly Rick448 52 Challenge 2020 - Artificial plus technique added.

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
Here we go again, I am really looking forward to this again, it was a great year in 2019 and this challenge has really helped me to improve my photography. Good luck to everyone else taking part :)

1 - Local interest
2 - Pleasure
3 - Tools
4 - Discarded
5 - Snappers choice
6 - Wild
7 - Broken
8 - Ability
9 - Winter
10 - Depict a book
11 - Transport
12 - Fence
13 - Flora
14 - Time
15 - Snappers choice plus high key
16 - Initial (R)
17 - More than one of something
18 - Music
19 - Colour
20 - Something old and technique added
21 - Liquid
22 - Household item
23 - Hiding away
24 - Small
25 - Snapper choice
26 - Mother Nature
27 - Signs
28 - Secure
29 - Personal
30 - Graceful
31 - Static
32 - Pattern
33 - Camouflage
34- Tiny
35 - Snappers choice
36 - Texture
37 - Activity
38 - Artificial - technique

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing your 2020 shots mate (y)
Thanks Dave, I am really hoping to continue enjoying the challenge, it has been the best thing I have done in all the years I have dabbled in photography.

Local interest, this is the fish and chip restaurant at Cleethorpes Pier, it created some local interest recently when the new Grimsby Town manager was apparently interviewed in there before being given the job. Story here if anyone is interested. We know how to live it up around here! :D

DSCF0585 by rick phillips, on Flickr

Lovely shot Rick, maybe straighten up the lamps but like it.
Thanks Dave, I guess that is the problem with the 23 close up like that. :)

Hi Rick, I like that, give me a sea and a blue sky and I'm happy!
Thanks Clive. It’s not often I go down there but I will do more often as it’s only 5 minutes from the dance venue and I have 90 minutes to kill. I’ll try a different lens next time.

Hi Rick, I saw your series of images from this outing earlier and this was one of my favourites; I like the strong leading lines of the railings and the tones from your processing. It gives it a slightly retro feel, which suits the traditional look of the pier.

I agree with your comment above about the 52; it does challenge and stretch you, and some of my favourite images in recent years have come from a 52 theme :)

Hi Rick, I saw your series of images from this outing earlier and this was one of my favourites; I like the strong leading lines of the railings and the tones from your processing. It gives it a slightly retro feel, which suits the traditional look of the pier.

I agree with your comment above about the 52; it does challenge and stretch you, and some of my favourite images in recent years have come from a 52 theme :)
Many thanks for the feedback, it’s much appreciated.:)

Nice shot. I like the way you've used the railing as a leading line up to the main subject. the light and colours are nice too (although I prefer a bit darker, personally ;) ). A great start to the 2020 52.

Super start to your 52 challenge Rick!:clap:

Great use of the railings to lead the eye in towards the chippy!
And the blue of the sky reflected in those railings too...inspired!
Excellent work Rick!(y)
Nice shot. I like the way you've used the railing as a leading line up to the main subject. the light and colours are nice too (although I prefer a bit darker, personally ;) ). A great start to the 2020 52.
Thanks very much. I was torn between a few shots but I preferred that overall.

Lovely shot Rick and a great start to the 52.
The light on yours is much better than on the one the BBC used on the Ian Holloway story!

Lovely shot Rick and a great start to the 52.
The light on yours is much better than on the one the BBC used on the Ian Holloway story!
Hi Rick.
Very 23mm that isn't it. Loving the Fuji colours :)
I am resisting an X100x so far.

Thanks both, I was hoping to improve on the stock image which was used! Although I hadn't actually seen it until after I took these. :)

I have had the X100T and F, but to be honest much prefer the interchangeable flexibility of the other bodies, but will be using the XP2 body for most of my walk around stuff.

Last edited:
Well, your colours are better, but they've corrected the perspective (or taken it from further back with a tele lens.
Yeah, I am never really concerned by the angles which are produced by a wide angle lens, that is part of the experience of using one. Obviously it is different if you are trying to create straight lines, but I wasn't in this case. I could have used my 56 or 90 or I guess the 18-55 for this, but part of my plan was to just stick the 23 on and see what I could get. :)

I think you chose the right image to put up, great colours
Thank you, I tried some different processing yesterday too. For me this challenge is all about trying to push things and improving overall. That is my aim for this year. I am sure there will be quite a few Marmite images, but that's fine with me :)

Well, your colours are better, but they've corrected the perspective (or taken it from further back with a tele lens.
Yeah, I am never really concerned by the angles which are produced by a wide angle lens, that is part of the experience of using one. Obviously it is different if you are trying to create straight lines, but I wasn't in this case. I could have used my 56 or 90 or I guess the 18-55 for this, but part of my plan was to just stick the 23 on and see what I could get. :)
I wasn't saying their's was better for the verticals, your one was (as you say) a wide angle shot.
i was just commenting on what the differences were really :)

Two great shots to start your 52. I'll be different and say that the second one is my pick!
Thanks Bob, much appreciated :)

Is that Ian Holloway's favourite Fish and Chip Shop?

Great Photo. I love seaside shots and this is a beauty.

Is that Ian Holloway's favourite Fish and Chip Shop?

Great Photo. I love seaside shots and this is a beauty.
I'm not sure it's his favourite, but it is where he was interviewed by all accounts. He may well come to hate the place :D

Thanks for the feedback :)

I am jealous of your blue sky! Lovely seaside shot to start off with :)

I am jealous of your blue sky! Lovely seaside shot to start off with :)
Thanks you very much, I can assure you, that in not a normal January day in Cleethorpes :D

Definitely the 2nd one for me Rick, all the extra steel work, gives it a certain je ne sais quoi

Definitely the 2nd one for me Rick, all the extra steel work, gives it a certain je ne sais quoi
Many thanks for popping in and commenting :)

If there were no or fewer people in #2 it would be my choice - but #1 works for me.
Thank you, it was a very busy day on the beach, so I had to make do with what I could shoot.

Great photo, I like the leading lines and the post-processing that gives it a slightly old-fashioned feel (y)

Great photo, I like the leading lines and the post-processing that gives it a slightly old-fashioned feel (y)
Many thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. :)

Thanks Lee :)

Back