weekly Rick448 52 Challenge 2020 - Artificial plus technique added.

A truck made by my late father,he made this from all sorts of odds and ends in his shed. This was a model of his grandfathers truck, his father also had his own company who my father worked for. This was before he went to work on tankers.

Trucker by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

A lovely old model Rick.
And the background history makes it more interesting too.

A lovely old model Rick.
And the background history makes it more interesting too.
Thanks, he spent hours in the shed faffing about with things like this! It took him hours to make the wheels and tyres from solids bits of wood. More patience than me for sure! :)

Hi Rick,

Book - Nope, no idea, but a nice shot with some excellent textures. Letterbox suits it.
Transport - A great little model. You can just imagine Corporal Jones climbing out of it and screaming 'Don't Panic'. I'm guessing it's of that kind of era given the backstory.

Thanks Tim,

The book is - who moved my cheese

My father died towards the end of last year, and he was 80, so it would have been quite a few years ago, yes :)

Never heard of the book but a very good depiction. Love the truck and backstory.

Never heard of the book but a very good depiction. Love the truck and backstory.
Thanks Roger, much appreciated.

book - well composed and I like the processing and the colours. What I don't as much is the ultra shallow DoF...

transport - I love the processing of the truck in colour! Well captured and interesting backstory.

book - well composed and I like the processing and the colours. What I don't as much is the ultra shallow DoF...

transport - I love the processing of the truck in colour! Well captured and interesting backstory.

Thanks Bernd, your comments are much appreciated :) I was using the DoF to try and focus on the lack of cheese in the Babybell skin.

Last edited:
Nice shot - never heard of the book

That's a great model and a lovely thing to have as a memory of your father. I prefer the mono version.. on my screen the colour has a bit of a purple cast... or perhaps that was deliberate?

The book works for me and suits the title - not one I've heard of I must admit. And the colour transport shot works nicely - a little more room at the front might help?

No idea about the book but I like the composition and that missing cheese. :giggle:

Wow, what a beautiful model and such a talented man to build that.

Thanks, the photo doesn't really do it justice, I will take some better shots when I have more time.
Nice shot - never heard of the book

Thanks, it is quite well known in business / leadership circles. Quite an interesting read to be honest,.
That's a great model and a lovely thing to have as a memory of your father. I prefer the mono version.. on my screen the colour has a bit of a purple cast... or perhaps that was deliberate?

Thanks, the colour cast was through the processing filter.
Nice model truck, nice story behind it too. I think I prefer the B&W of the 2.

Thanks, :)

The book works for me and suits the title - not one I've heard of I must admit. And the colour transport shot works nicely - a little more room at the front might help?
Yeah, I agree on the tightness of the composition, I will take more another time. :)

Book. Nice idea and execution, though I've never heard of the book.
Transport. Lovely model and story. I prefer the mono version as I think the colour of the background detracts from the truck in the first pic.

Book. Never heard of the book,but the picture is great.

Transport. Nice subject and nice backstory. Think the black and white is the better photo, but think the colour one does it more justice, if that makes sense.

Nice story regarding the Model, I prefer the colour version as it shows the work better.
Never heard of that book.

Pete

Book. Nice idea and execution, though I've never heard of the book.
Transport. Lovely model and story. I prefer the mono version as I think the colour of the background detracts from the truck in the first pic.
Book. Never heard of the book,but the picture is great.

Transport. Nice subject and nice backstory. Think the black and white is the better photo, but think the colour one does it more justice, if that makes sense.
Nice story regarding the Model, I prefer the colour version as it shows the work better.
Never heard of that book.

Pete
Transport
That's a really impressive bit of model making.

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

Fence works well in mono, plenty of interesting shapes and lines to keep the eye moving. Nice job.

I bet those fences don't stay so uniform over the years. The B&W processing gives it an almost otherworldly feel. Red filter maybe?
The houses are now 4 years old, we were the first to move in and so far none have needed replacing. We will se as and when... I used the LUT B&W filter from ON1 Photo raw. I like that better than the preset options or a specific B&W filter.

Book - I would prefer to see more focus but it certainly works for the title you chose.
Transport - Great model, lots of love and care went into that and you have captured it well.
Fenced - I like the colour version best.

From the colour shot, it's certainly the reds that have been moved the most :)
Yeah I agree.
Book - I would prefer to see more focus but it certainly works for the title you chose.
Transport - Great model, lots of love and care went into that and you have captured it well.
Fenced - I like the colour version best.

With hindsight I agree a less shallow DoF would have been better in this case :)

B&w for me, it shows off the light and dark of the fence panels better.

I prefer the B&W myself too :)

Nice plain and simple but say's a lot, fence shots..
I don't have a preference for either TBH.

Back