weekly Rick448 52'ers challenge thread. Outake added.

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
This will be my thread with my attempt at completing the 52 challenge. I am hoping that this will give me the incentive I need to the the pictures know deep down I want to take! :)

1 - New
2 - Clean
3 - Open
4 - Distant
5 - Cold
6 - Waiting
7 - Rough
8 - Object
9 - Wet
10 - Free
11 - Entrance
12 - Young
13 - Food
14 - Smooth
15 - Above
16 - Hot
17 - Light
18 - Crowd
19 - Decay
20 - Free week
21 - Whole
22 - Fragile
23 - Squashed
24 - Time
25 - Full
26 - Drink
27 - Dirty
28 - Wide
29 - Closed
30 - Snapper's choice
31 - Life
32 - Interior
33 - Plastic
34 - Empty
35 - Buildings
36 - Soft
37 - Old
38 - Flower
39 - Dull
40 - Snappers choice
41 - Near
42 - Song title
43 - Borrowed
44 - Halloween
45 - Short
46 - Environment
47 - Far
48 - Playing
49 - Below
50 - Snappers choice (technique)
51 - Christmassy
52- Outake.... and goodnight!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Rick.

Very nice shot Rick, good Dof and think it had to be too as the door blur and thingy on the left hand side might of messed up the shot so all round a good image that goes well in mono.
Thanks Dave, was a quick shot taken at the gym in work today. Now I need to suss out how to do the linky thing properly... I read the how to, but somehow I got it wrong. I'll sort it next week. :)

The Link is easy once you get the hang of it. Your quote for me is #7, so you`d click and copy that then in the thread only for images write Linky then click on the single chain and paste.
PS: Have two tabs open is how I do it.
I'l give it a go next time, I'll sort it. Thanks

That wrks then... sorted for next week :)

It works

I agree with Dave, it works well in mono and the use of a shallow DoF works to avoid distractions.
There is a dodgy wobbly stripe on the far wall which looks like clumsy cloning, but I'm guessing is simply a shadow that couldn't be avoided?
It might be worth having a play with the clone tool to see if it can be straightened (there is a straight shadow to the left which might works as a clone source).
Good start to your 52 :)

I agree with Dave, it works well in mono and the use of a shallow DoF works to avoid distractions.
There is a dodgy wobbly stripe on the far wall which looks like clumsy cloning, but I'm guessing is simply a shadow that couldn't be avoided?
It might be worth having a play with the clone tool to see if it can be straightened (there is a straight shadow to the left which might works as a clone source).
Good start to your 52 :)
Thanks Tim,

I didn't do any cloning or editing on this image, other than the B&W conversion. I'll be taking a bit more time with future submissions, I really jut wanted to break my duck, and I'm fairly happy with it for what it is. I'm about to add a few more to my Flickr account shortly if anyone wants to take a look. :)

Thanks Tim,

I didn't do any cloning or editing on this image, other than the B&W conversion. I'll be taking a bit more time with future submissions, I really jut wanted to break my duck, and I'm fairly happy with it for what it is. I'm about to add a few more to my Flickr account shortly if anyone wants to take a look. :)
Hi Rick.
No, I didn't think it really was cloning that caused it, it's most likely shadow.
It was purely a suggestion that you may want to consider. :)
I fully get the "wanting to get something up for the theme", hell, I'm still pondering it myself !

Nicely done and a nice tenuous link like mine ;) Oh how easy it is right now

Love the black and white, love the DOF - think you got it just right

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Thanks all, having now revisited the shots I took I think I could have made more of this, however, i'm happy enough that I'v e had some positive responses as well as constructive critique. I wish I had done this challenge before now. I'm determined to stick with this, as I am sure it will improve my photography by taking me out of my comfort zone and making me do things I'd never try.

Very nice shot. As others have said, great use of DoF and very well processed for B&W.
I like the crisply detailed knurling on the near handle....I do enjoy a good knurl!!
(y)
Thanks you :)

Hi Rick, I like the whole 'new year, new start, new me' idea that this image suggests. Good choice of props and shallow DOF, and B&W works well to bring out the shapes and tones without any colours to distract.

I notice you said in a post above that you wish you had tried this earlier and that it will take you out of your comfort zone, and that's why I like it too. Some of my favourite images from the last few years have come about because a 52 theme challenged me to try something new. Well done, you're off to a good start (y)

Hi Rick, I like the whole 'new year, new start, new me' idea that this image suggests. Good choice of props and shallow DOF, and B&W works well to bring out the shapes and tones without any colours to distract.

I notice you said in a post above that you wish you had tried this earlier and that it will take you out of your comfort zone, and that's why I like it too. Some of my favourite images from the last few years have come about because a 52 theme challenged me to try something new. Well done, you're off to a good start (y)
Thanks Andrea, much appreciated.

Good DOF and works well in mono. Nice simple shot but effective. Just a couple of distracting bits in the bg but sometimes you can't avoid these things. Is it a door at the back?

Good DOF and works well in mono. Nice simple shot but effective. Just a couple of distracting bits in the bg but sometimes you can't avoid these things. Is it a door at the back?
Hi, thanks for the comments, the BG is actually some breeze blocks which are bare, the blurry lines are the joints.

Hi, thanks for the comments, the BG is actually some breeze blocks which are bare, the blurry lines are the joints.

Oh ok, I was thinking the blob near the bottom was a door handle but looking again I can see it's part on the frame the weights are stood on:banghead::LOL:

Hi Rick

Looks very good, better on flickr. Like the processing, suits the DOF

Have you broken it yet?

Pete

Hi Rick

Looks very good, better on flickr. Like the processing, suits the DOF

Have you broken it yet?

Pete
I've stuck with it so far :)

Back