weekly Rick448 52'ers challenge thread. Outake added.

The rear view for me, what’s really nice is the way you just managed to catch the murmeration. The colour of the sky and the morning sunrise

I agree, the rear view is a stunner!
Not that there's anything wrong with the car images....the second one has some really nice colours in the sky and the first one shows the thick layer of frost on the rear windscreen - very fitting for the cold theme!
They're both technically good images, but the view of the sunrise and the flock of birds has real drama and is such a joy to look at with all those wonderful colours.
Perfect fit for the theme!
Nice work Rick!(y)

I agree, the rear view is a stunner!
Not that there's anything wrong with the car images....the second one has some really nice colours in the sky and the first one shows the thick layer of frost on the rear windscreen - very fitting for the cold theme!
They're both technically good images, but the view of the sunrise and the flock of birds has real drama and is such a joy to look at with all those wonderful colours.
Perfect fit for the theme!
Nice work Rick!(y)
Thanks for the comments Gareth, much appreciated :)

Hi Rick

Clean, well controlled flash. wells well creating the black background and no flash back from the shiny clean bits. Lots of details and fits the theme.

Open, a good clean sharp image. the glass merging into the backgound on the left makes it look strange. Nice use of colours. More details in the B&W shot, but losing the colours for me is not as good.

Distant, second image seems a bit more realistic.

Cold, It looks cold, nice to have the birds flocking and the sun is looking weak.Lovely colours in the sky. The frost on the cars does not work quite as well for the theme for me.

Pete

That’s very nice, colours in the sky are beautiful and the birds add the finishing touch ...an excellent choice for the topic.

That sunrise is a lovely scene, Rick. Despite the warm colours in the sky there is a chilly, crisp overall feeling that makes it perfect for this theme. Super textures in the foreground too.

Thanks for the comments :)

Lovely sharp shot that tells a great story of waiting yet ever ready. Although I have dabbled, I'm not really a fan of selective colour sorry to say - I think I'd like to see it in full colour.

I like that. Not usually a colour pop fan either but this works :)

I’m not normally a fan either but in this case I thought I’d give it a go. I’ll pop a full colour version up on here tomorrow night.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Great shot Rick, I’m a fan of selected colour photos. Really sharp image and definitely tells a story. Nice one

Last edited:
Thanks Zeus

Good idea and the colouring works well. I have tried this in GIMP and the results are usually interesting.
Thanks., I used ON1 2019 with a B&W filter and just masked out the fire kit.

Fantastic!
I love images of heavy machinery!!
Very well composed shot....love the low angle....though I suppose they're all low angles with a huge vehicle like that!!:giggle:
I think I like the mono treatment better than the colour variant....there's such nice contrasts in there, and it's such an impressive vehicle, it almost looks a little, dare I say, 'lost'....though that yellow hue is jolly nice!
Spot colour/selective colour has it's place I think. Overused? Clichéd?....Perhaps, but when done well and meaningfully it can be great.
I think you have done well with this image Rick.
It highlights an important feature of the image which tells the story and is definitely theme-worthy!!
Nicely done!(y)

Fantastic!
I love images of heavy machinery!!
Very well composed shot....love the low angle....though I suppose they're all low angles with a huge vehicle like that!!:giggle:
I think I like the mono treatment better than the colour variant....there's such nice contrasts in there, and it's such an impressive vehicle, it almost looks a little, dare I say, 'lost'....though that yellow hue is jolly nice!
Spot colour/selective colour has it's place I think. Overused? Clichéd?....Perhaps, but when done well and meaningfully it can be great.
I think you have done well with this image Rick.
It highlights an important feature of the image which tells the story and is definitely theme-worthy!!
Nicely done!(y)
Hi Gareth, many thanks for the in depth feedback, much appreciated :)

Here is the original in colour for anyone who wanted to see it. As above, I much prefer the mono, which is rare for me.

DSCF1962 copy by rick phillips, on Flickr

I echo most of the comments above, Rick - I'm not a fan of selective colouring but it works here. I would prefer the colour version if that other bright vehicle wasn't on the right hand side, but it's all too yellow with that there so IMHO you made the right choices. The low POV and colour on the uniform draw attention to it and imply that everything is poised for action.

I echo most of the comments above, Rick - I'm not a fan of selective colouring but it works here. I would prefer the colour version if that other bright vehicle wasn't on the right hand side, but it's all too yellow with that there so IMHO you made the right choices. The low POV and colour on the uniform draw attention to it and imply that everything is poised for action.
Thanks Andrea, much appreciated :)

I really like the original 'waiting'. Great idea and setas a scene well.

Which country's fire service is this? My bro-in-law is a Fire Station Manager at Heathrow Airport

I really like the original 'waiting'. Great idea and setas a scene well.

Which country's fire service is this? My bro-in-law is a Fire Station Manager at Heathrow Airport
Hi,
I am the Senior Airport Fire Officer at Humberside Airport. Ex Humberside Fire and Rescue Service.

very nice great DOF works extremely well :)
Thanks, I struggled al lot with getting something shot this week. It was a last minute effort but I am determined to make all 52 on time (apart from the 2 weeks I am on Holiday).

Bet that was not easy to take Rick, liking it but maybe try the 56mm on it still like it though.
Thanks, it was too small with the 56mm I did take a couple of shots to try but the 400mm was the best I could get. H/H at 1/26 sec!

Good idea. I first thought it was just a rough texture shot of wood when I saw it on my phone. Then I saw the ring. So spot on for the theme and the idea of the diamond sitting on a lump of wood is clever.

Back