weekly Rick448 52'ers challenge thread. Outake added.

I usually love black and whites, but I think the colour version works a lot better for me in this case. Well set up and great lighting. Top image I reckon (y)

I usually love black and whites, but I think the colour version works a lot better for me in this case. Well set up and great lighting. Top image I reckon (y)
Thanks Carl, much appreciated.

Excellent, simple image that works very well!
Very well lit, I prefer the colour image personally...lighting works really well.
Great use of reflections, and very good contrast.
Very nicely done Rick!(y)
Thanks Gareth, the feedback is much appreciated. :)

Open & almost empty indeed. :)
The colour version for me, the aged shot may need to be a bit punchier to work, dunno, but worth a try.
Thanks, I'm not good with B&W.

Open
The lighting works nicely and so does the composition. I can't help but think the bottle is leaning very slightly to the right. The left hand side of the bottle looks to be straight but the right isn't. I don't know if it's because the bottle isn't quite square on.

It's the best I could do on the soft surface, it's not perfect by any stretch, but I'm ok with it, thanks for the comments :)

The composition works really well Rick, I like them both but I agree the colours in the first one are very eye catching.

Nice simple shot done well. But I don't understand why the glass looks straight but the bottle seems to lean to the right?

Nice simple shot done well. But I don't understand why the glass looks straight but the bottle seems to lean to the right?
Because they are standing on a padded lid of a storage box and it wouldn't sit perfectly straight.

Good idea, Rick, and well arranged with a nice clean background. I prefer the first version for the warm colour of the whisky and the green bottle.
Thanks Andrea, I much prefer the colour version, and actually colour in general. :)

Here is my leaving for Distant shores shot, not what I wanted but I was struggling for time, and inspiration this week.

DSCF1886 by rick phillips, on Flickr

I think there is an improvement in there that you could bring out in post.
The background is quite hazy and hte foreground seems a bit over saturated to me, so some de-sat, he-haze and playing with contrast / clarity sliders maybe?
Just my thoughts, ymmv.

I think there is an improvement in there that you could bring out in post.
The background is quite hazy and hte foreground seems a bit over saturated to me, so some de-sat, he-haze and playing with contrast / clarity sliders maybe?
Just my thoughts, ymmv.
Hi,
Thanks for the comments, to be honest I just wanted to get something up this week. I am stacked out and haven't had time to play around with this, hopefully I'll be back on form next week :)

Fits the theme for Distant shores imo, you got a shot in so well done and look forward to the next one.

Thanks Dave
Nice image Rick.(y)
Sharp details on the plane....I think I prefer the second image.
The plane looked a little 'cool' in the first one.
Fits the theme nicely, and I like the hazy effect from the jet blast out the back.

Thanks Gareth, I was a bit rushed trying to get this in. I must learn to take more time, it's a recurrent problem for me at the moment when shooting stuff.

Tend to agree with @GarethB, the plane seems clearer. Suits the theme well

On theme for sure. I think I would have tried to shoot the plane just taking off or in the air .. just a thought.

The plan was to shoot an aircraft departing, but due to my schedule I couldn't get a shot, that had just landed and was taxiing to stand.

Fits the theme well, and I prefer the second version of it as the colours are better. Wonder where they were off to
Somewhere warmer I hope :)

Hi Rick,

Sorry I've missed your thread thus far.

New - I like the shot. Good DoF and the image works well in mono. I like the grittyness about it too.
Clean - A nice clean shot ( :coat:) that is right for the theme. The shot is well lit but I'd like a touch more on the left hand side I think.
Open - Nice shot and bang on theme. Spot on! I prefer the colour version personally.
Distant - Second shot for me. A break somewhere warm would go down well right now too.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Rick - it's on theme, on time, and the slight edit in version 2 has improved the colours. Some weeks are a battle but you're up to date (y)

Thanks, much appreciated :)
Hi Rick,

Sorry I've missed your thread thus far.

New - I like the shot. Good DoF and the image works well in mono. I like the grittyness about it too.
Clean - A nice clean shot ( :coat:) that is right for the theme. The shot is well lit but I'd like a touch more on the left hand side I think.
Open - Nice shot and bang on theme. Spot on! I prefer the colour version personally.
Distant - Second shot for me. A break somewhere warm would go down well right now too.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Looks very cold indeed and a good image with good lighting, the Murmuration is a great plus too.
Thanks Dave, it was a last minute thing before I left for work, I got lucky. :)

Nice cool sunrise, gives you the impression of being quite cold. Really like the colours in the sky.

Cold
Lovely sun up shot, with the frost on the ground and the birds in the distance look good too.

Back