weekly Rick448 52'ers challenge thread. Outake added.

Apologies for the delay in getting these up, I have had a really bad 3 weeks with some personal tragedy involved in that, anyway, back to the photos...

Free as a bird ( I know it was a free choice, but I just snapped this on my flight)
Untitled by rick phillips, on Flickr

Free what a cracking shot that is Rick, love the clouds and that you got the wing in view in to.
Entrance goes very well in mono and looks a grand place.
Young is another great image of your daughter, I like that you shot this at f4.5 with the 56mm as it goes to show you don`t have to use f1.2 all the time, great lens and love learning how to use mine.

Free what a cracking shot that is Rick, love the clouds and that you got the wing in view in to.
Entrance goes very well in mono and looks a grand place.
Young is another great image of your daughter, I like that you shot this at f4.5 with the 56mm as it goes to show you don`t have to use f1.2 all the time, great lens and love learning how to use mine.
Thanks for the comments Dave.

I was lucky to have a seat which allowed the shot to include the wing and part of the engine, the entrance is onto the Early of Yarborough's estate, which is on my way home from work. I try not to use the 56 at 1.2 all of the time, as it gives me a little bit of focus latitude when shooting my daughter, as keeping her still is a nightmare. :)

Good catch up, Rick- all three shots bang on theme.
The portrait is a cracker, the expression on the young'uns face is priceless. I bet she's a handful an' all. I know they can be, both of mine were!! :D:D

Good catch up, Rick- all three shots bang on theme.
The portrait is a cracker, the expression on the young'uns face is priceless. I bet she's a handful an' all. I know they can be, both of mine were!! :D:D
Thanks Bob, much appreciated :)

Well done to you to able to get your daughter to remain still for a few minutes. At that age, they always on the go at all time.

Oh, the link in the main photo thread is not working.
Thanks for the comments, it is difficult to keep her still, bribery seems to work. Link now fixed.

Three great images Rick!
Free: Amazing! Love the detail in the clouds below and wing and engine! Super!
Entrance: Now that is an entrance! Such a grand structure, and expertly captured and processed for mono, and the road leads in nicely!
Young: Lovely portrait, amazing expression....dare I say mischievous! Marvellous!
Fab!:clap:

What a lovely little girl with such a mischievous look on her face. Bet she keeps you on your toes. Lovely shot.

Sorry to hear about your tragedy Rick. Well done on catching up, especially with these three great shots. I especially like the free shot, with the fluffy clouds and engine in the shot

Very nicely caught up indeed Rick.

Free - lovely job. The clouds look incredible and work great against the plane wing.

Entrance - superb. Nicely processed, great positioning - where is that?

Young - great image. What a sharp image, and a lovely happy daughter

Three great images Rick!
Free: Amazing! Love the detail in the clouds below and wing and engine! Super!
Entrance: Now that is an entrance! Such a grand structure, and expertly captured and processed for mono, and the road leads in nicely!
Young: Lovely portrait, amazing expression....dare I say mischievous! Marvellous!
Fab!:clap:

Thnaks for the great comments, much appreciated.

What a lovely little girl with such a mischievous look on her face. Bet she keeps you on your toes. Lovely shot.

She certainly does, at 54 she keeps me young...

Sorry to hear about your tragedy Rick. Well done on catching up, especially with these three great shots. I especially like the free shot, with the fluffy clouds and engine in the shot

Thanks, I got a couple more which I will add later.

Very nicely caught up indeed Rick.

Free - lovely job. The clouds look incredible and work great against the plane wing.

Entrance - superb. Nicely processed, great positioning - where is that?

Young - great image. What a sharp image, and a lovely happy daughter

Thanks very much, I'm glad you like them :)

The entrance is onto the Earl of Yarborough's estate in Brocklesby, Lincolnshire.

Last edited:
Food, SOOC.

Quick shot while out for a bite, a bit tight in as I didn't want to be standing about shooting in the middle of the place.

Untitled by rick phillips, on Flickr

Same set up I`m using for today at the music hall. It actually looks a lot better on Flickr for some reason, very good colours for Sooc, but that`s what I love about Fuji.
I love the 50-140, I didn't have my Macbook at home to edit the RAW so thought I'd just pop the Jpeg on.

Nice looking bit of grub there!

Tasty looking image Rick!(y)
Great colours, and even though you were at ISO 12800, it's still very decent with noise.
Being a Canon shooter, I was previously unaware of this concept of a 'five figure ISO'!...mutter, mutter, grumble!:giggle:
Thanks, the Fuji does pretty well in low light. I didn’t want to use flash for this so had to push it a bit.

That looks delicious and I'm hungry now.
YNG385K.gif

That looks delicious and I'm hungry now.
YNG385K.gif
It was, I'm lucky we visit this place every week, and they serve some great food :)

The noise is there, but not bad for 12800, I reckon.
A bit cluttered, as you say, but as a quick grab to get sooc out of the way, no problemo!!

Nicely done for sooc. I know what you mean for standing around taking pics of food in restaurant. My lad actually takes a gopro and blogs a lot of the time - I would not have the nerve!

Was trying to make out what it was - some sort of surf and turf?

Nicely done for sooc. I know what you mean for standing around taking pics of food in restaurant. My lad actually takes a gopro and blogs a lot of the time - I would not have the nerve!

Was trying to make out what it was - some sort of surf and turf?
It is a rump of lamb, there are potatoes underneath and that is pancetta wrapping the green beans. One of my favourites :)

Hi Rick,

Wet - I agree with the comments about the reflections, I think they make the shot. works nicely for me for both the theme and technique.

Free - Liking that you've chosen to wordplay the theme. Very clear for a shot taken through a thick plane window.

Entrance - Use of leading lines to the gateway, nicely edited in mono> Interesting dedication "To Charles..." Just looked him up on wiki. Seems to have been a bit of a trickster. No wonder he was an MP.

Young - Lovely portrait, great expression and loving the Unicorn :)

Food - Looks yummy (esp. the asparagus wrapped in bacon). Only critique here would be the arm in the background.

Smooth - I think I may have poured the glass, rather than have it empty (kept the can though). That was the engraving on the glass might have stood out more clearly? Dunno. Thoughts?

Hi Rick,

Wet - I agree with the comments about the reflections, I think they make the shot. works nicely for me for both the theme and technique.

Free - Liking that you've chosen to wordplay the theme. Very clear for a shot taken through a thick plane window.

Entrance - Use of leading lines to the gateway, nicely edited in mono> Interesting dedication "To Charles..." Just looked him up on wiki. Seems to have been a bit of a trickster. No wonder he was an MP.

Young - Lovely portrait, great expression and loving the Unicorn :)

Food - Looks yummy (esp. the asparagus wrapped in bacon). Only critique here would be the arm in the background.

Smooth - I think I may have poured the glass, rather than have it empty (kept the can though). That was the engraving on the glass might have stood out more clearly? Dunno. Thoughts?
Thanks for the comments. I don’t drink that stuff otherwise I would have poured it. Though I guess for the cost I could have thrown it away in any case. :)

Hehe, me neither. I would even drink lager in preference to John Smiths Smooth!
Well I’m a lager drinker so I never touch that stuff.

A good shot for the theme for Smooth. I never drink the stuff either but do drink almost anything else! The reflection is great but the BG has quite a lot of noise (I see it was at ISO 4000). Maybe drop the shutter speed and lower the ISO for a cleaner image as the can and glass aren't going anywhere?

A good shot for the theme for Smooth. I never drink the stuff either but do drink almost anything else! The reflection is great but the BG has quite a lot of noise (I see it was at ISO 4000). Maybe drop the shutter speed and lower the ISO for a cleaner image as the can and glass aren't going anywhere?
Thanks for the comments, it was a quick grab as I didn't have time to get things sent on a tripod. I am struggling for time at the moment as we have lots of things going on just now, but I'm determined to keep up with the full 52. :)

I like the concept, and it's a well executed image Rick!
The lighting and reflections are top notch.
For a quick grab, you've controlled the background nicely, it seems seemingly seamless!;)
Nice work!(y)
Thanks Gareth :)

Smooth
Good reflection. You've handled the reflection on the glass well, but the bottom of the can is a bit blown out, just below the oo.

Nicely done Rick and very smooth it is too. Good drop of bitter! Love the staging and reflections too

Back