Critique Ricky

Edit My Images
No
This is my hairdresser, Ricky, taking a short break.
All critique welcome particularly any comments on the B&W conversion.

Ricky colour.jpg Ricky.jpg

Last edited:
To my eye the black and white version is the far more striking of the two images.

I’d crop the street people out so he is looking out of the frame, not out of the window.

As above, I would crop the left side, b&w for me. Background on the right adds to the image and is nicely blurred.
Matt

Thanks for the comments everyone, the b&w version is my favourite and Ricky's too.

I’d crop the street people out so he is looking out of the frame, not out of the window.
As above, I would crop the left side, b&w for me. Background on the right adds to the image and is nicely blurred.
Matt

I've cropped as per your suggestions, or did I go too far? I like the result even if it does go against all my instincts about leaving space for the subject to look into!:)

Ricky2bw-Edit.jpg

or did I go too far?
for me, yes - I'd have included a little of the window itself - gives the suggestion then without the distraction of the people in the street. rare for me, I too prefer the B&W version :)

ETA: I'd crop up to but not including the legs of the person outside.

for me, yes - I'd have included a little of the window itself - gives the suggestion then without the distraction of the people in the street. rare for me, I too prefer the B&W version :)

I thought it was possibly more than you intended. I'll have another go but may not post it otherwise we'll end up going around for ever! :)
Thanks again for your input, it's given me food for thought.

Ditto.
Matt

Yes, I'de leave in two panes across of the opposite window.

The latest, and probably the final, version.
I got rid of the pedestrians then cropped more or less as suggested but ensuring his eye is on a thirds intersection.
Thanks again for your comments.
Ricky final.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful.

I personally prefer the original crop on the monochrome. Its more of a "watching the world pass by" look and the couple walking in the out of focus background add to the story.

Really like the B&W version and the final crop. The 2nd crop was a bit too 'claustrophobic' for my taste.

I like the last version, very nice shot. :)

I personally prefer the original crop on the monochrome. Its more of a "watching the world pass by" look and the couple walking in the out of focus background add to the story.
Thanks for that Simon. That was how I saw it originally and now don’t know which of the first and last I prefer! (n)

Back