riddle

duttytd

Mummy, where do babies come from?
Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
You saw a shirt for £97. You didn't have the money so you borrowed £50 from your mom & £50 from your dad which gives you £100. You buy the shirt and get £3 change. You give your dad £1, your mom £1 and keep £1 for yourself. You now owe your mom £49 and your dad £49. £49+£49=£98 + you £1 = £99 .. So where is the missing pound??

Seems obvious, you 'gave' yourself £1...........so the missing £1 is that one you gave yourself as you have kept £1 twice in the deal effectively.

Makes total sense to me, hardly a riddle?

There is no missing pound - you never had one in the first place.

You borrowed £100 (2 x £50), bought a shirt for £97 and had £3 change.

If you had given both parents £1-50 each, you would still owe them £48-50 each. Why did you keep a pound when you still owe them £98 between them?

I am really very disappointed that you could cheat your parents in this manner, unless of course you are paying them a fair rate of interest for the loan.

What colour was the shirt?

You've taken too many head punches. ;)

I'm more concerned about the price of that shirt - I'd want a suit for that!

You saw a shirt for £97. You didn't have the money so you borrowed £50 from your mom & £50 from your dad which gives you £100. You buy the shirt and get £3 change. You give your dad £1, your mom £1 and keep £1 for yourself. You now owe your mom £49 and your dad £49. £49+£49=£98 - you £1 = £97

Fixed your math.

It's just a play on numbers at the end - it's (£49+£1)+(£49+£1) + Your £1 = £100.

It's actually frigging hard to explain it, but basically the maths is wrong at the end, because you're not taking int oaccount the £1 each in change given back.

CT said:
You've taken too many head punches. ;)

I'm more concerned about the price of that shirt - I'd want a suit for that!

I must have taken tooooo many punches as iv read it so many times and I'm still non the wiser

It's just a play on numbers at the end - it's (£49+£1)+(£49+£1) + Your £1 = £100.
/QUOTE]

(£49+£1)+(£49+£1) + Your £1 = £101.

Last edited:
Right then what I was trying to get at is you've borrowed £100, but paid back £2, so sum total you've borrowed £98 in effect right? Now you've only spent £97 so the spare £1 is the one you kept for yourself, and you still owe 2 lots of £49.

Now how the hell do I write that in maths without ending wup with £99 or £101?

You've borrowed £100 but have repaid £2 so the overall borrowing £98 not £100 now the £1 you have retained, but the £1 you retained you should not be trying to add that in as it is already accounted for in the £98 debt (y)

Simples :)

An yes I have some accountancy training :LOL:

Matt
MWHCVT

MWHCVT said:
You've borrowed £100 but have repaid £2 so the overall borrowing £98 not £100 now the £1 you have retained, but the £1 you retained you should not be trying to add that in as it is already accounted for in the £98 debt (y)

Simples :)

An yes I have some accountancy training :LOL:

Matt
MWHCVT

How is the £1 in the 98?

Too thick to work out the maths so I think the big boy from down the road ran away with my extra quid lol

No wonder I have been struggling with F stops, exposure times and ISO settings. It's the maths that are wrong lol

duttytd said:
How is the £1 in the 98?

There is no £1, you don't own the pound it is not yours you have borrowed it ;) you still have it but it is not yours, your trying to count it twice ;) it £100 - £2 that you've repaid = £98 debt / 2 = £49 x 2 (y) you cannot count the pound as it is part of the debt ;)

I still don't know what colour the shirt was.

Holy Moly, dutty! Are we really slowing the course of Darwinian evolution here? :D

You borrowed £100. You gave back £2. Which means you borrowed £98 nett. You gave the shop £97 so you've got the 98th £1 left in your pocket. Seemples!

Now, do you want to buy a bridge? :D

Aren't you supposed to be recovering from the rigours of a job interview?

Hope the pink shirt wasn't worn to it. Unless you're angling for some fishy media position...

photon said:
Aren't you supposed to be recovering from the rigours of a job interview?

Hope the pink shirt wasn't worn to it. Unless you're angling for some fishy media position...

No I was looking to smart in the salmon pink so went for neon green shell suit

You deserve the job if you wore a neon green shell suit!

Back