Riding out the storm

Name
Roly
Edit My Images
Yes
Not my usual thing but I was bored and decided to take the camera down the beach for an hour. Really wanted to try and get more photos of the faces of the kite surfers and windsurfers but the direction of the sun and wind weren't playing nicely.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated

Riding out the storm by Roland Patrick, on Flickr

Was there a reason you got rid of the colour in post? Would personally love to see it in colour.

I converted to black & white for a few reasons;

1. I don't like the dirty colour of the water from sand.
2. I managed to get a fair few of this guy, so I will have loads of colour.
3. Recently I have been attracted to B&W more and more and I find action shots more dramatic.

Here's a colour version

wind_edited-1 by Roland Patrick, on Flickr

For me it's a stronger shot in colour but I'll be interested to see what others think. I was hoping the sail would contain strong colours which it does so I think there is a good contrast. That all said, your reasons for converting to B&W are solid.

Thanks for posting the colour version.

Colour every time.
It has far greater impact.

colour every time..

as for the pic... not keen on the back of sportsmans heads.. prefer to see there face...sorry :(

Colour every time.
It has far greater impact.

colour every time..

as for the pic... not keen on the back of sportsmans heads.. prefer to see there face...sorry :(

Thanks for the comments guy's :)

I agree mate I would prefer to see their faces as well, the problem is with capturing windsurfing action is most of it happens heading back out to sea where they use the waves to jump off. This obviously means you either see the back/side of the head of just the sail as the body is hidden.

The next day I trawled flickr and some random windsurfing websites looking for a bit of inspiration and the vast majority of the shots were back of head or at best side profiles, the only time you get to look them square in the eyes is when they are riding the waves back to shore which wasn't that dramatic. There were some fantastic pro shots I found but they were all taken from boats which is a little out of my budget :)

I did take a selection of them heading back to shore as well.

Thanks again fro taking the time to comment, it's much appreciated

Sealane cafe by Roland Patrick, on Flickr

Having fun by Roland Patrick, on Flickr

Back