Wild Ring Ouzel

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not a great fan of the portrait orientation, but sometimes there's just no other way to please my eye when it comes to framing.

This was shot at 1800ft and the sun had gone behind a mountain as it was setting, thus reducing ambient light significantly. The resulting need for a wide (F4) apperture meant a shallow dof, but I succeeded in getting the head sharp. It's the best I've got with this bird, but I can't help thinking that a focussed tail would have made a half-decent shot into a stunner.

16041-1469789960-9dd1cb41b968cdc0b0cdc6a9ab049811.jpg

560mm, F4, 1/1000s, ISO1250.

That's a good image John, I can see that you are getting the hang of processing

focus on the eye is important, (as you have done), not the tail

Last edited:
I wondered if this would still be too warm for you Bill? I've brought it down a bit on the WB, but it's still at 6.5k. Anything lower and there were bits which were beginning to turn blue! :eek:

I wondered if this would still be too warm for you Bill? I've brought it down a bit on the WB, but it's still at 6.5k. Anything lower and there were bits which were beginning to turn blue! :eek:

warm - not at all - you could tweet it up a little in the bg

you could sharpen the tail a little but then pixel destruction starts to come in

shadows on the head could be reduced a little

little work on the rock

but it looks really good to me - attractive bird that I have never seen

maybe maybe not - do you find this any different

John_O_1.jpg

Last edited:
maybe maybe not - do you find this any different
Honest answer - I find it heading towards being a bit 'overcooked', but maybe that's just me. ;)

Have to say Bill's edit pips it for me, but only just. Excellent shot nonetheless and agree aboutthe tail being in focus...there's always next time! What body was this with? I think you'd probably have gotten away with f5.6 to get a bit more of the tail in focus. I'm not seeing any noise so I think you'd have gotten away with upping the ISO slightly in order to use f5.6. Still, all minor things and an excellent photo!

thanks

that's what's needed "honest" answers

Afternoon Chris

Mine is just how I use the LR tools - we all use them in different way

I only tweaked it a little in the areas suggested - rock, head, bg - then B & W points which can change when you mess around with other bits - all adjs in LR

that's quite a nice rock!!

also when posting on the forum versus what you see in LR - does change the image slightly or sometimes more than that, (been mentioned many times - I don't know why?)

as I said - I've never seen one - just looked it up - have you anymore views John? - don't worry if you are not too happy with the shot or whatever

Looks like it's a male

RSPB - Red Status

Last edited:
What body was this with? I think you'd probably have gotten away with f5.6 to get a bit more of the tail in focus. I'm not seeing any noise so I think you'd have gotten away with upping the ISO slightly in order to use f5.6. Still, all minor things and an excellent photo!
5Diii with 400 F2.8L and a 1.4xiii.

Unfortunately, as with so many of my takes, the time between getting the bird in focus and it disappearing did not allow for incrimental adjustments. I managed two rapid shots in this pose before it flew off. They really don't enjoy company!

have you anymore views John? - don't worry if you are not too happy with the shot or whatever
Lots! But none with the big 400. These are all at 1000mm (the first on the 7Dii and the others on the 5Diii) and essentially huge unedited crops:

16042-1469799607-ae556854c8449a4f4965f1596af5c94a.jpg

16043-1469799619-97c02de2d904b3ad79879472b0acc1b2.jpg

This last one could have been good if I was significantly closer and in focus:

16044-1469799628-f9ff9779d395095fbad0be7c471ecf3f.jpg

Thanks John, far more attractive than Blackbirds

2nd image looks good

2nd image looks good
What could have been......!!!

It's a massive crop already and the detail just isn't there if I go closer. The shot at the top of the thread is only a slight crop and the bird was about 10m away. The sunlight one was about 50m away!

I really like the natural setting/environment & warmer sunset colours in #2 :cool:

(possibly clone out the 3 distracting dry grasses? )

ouur28.jpg

#2 in the 2nd set does it for me, bird looks good and the show of environment adds to it ... very nice :)

Beautifully worked John a joy to view love the portrait tail is a minor niggle for me and as with the others also really like no 2 in the second set.see the potential in 3 as well. but that portrait john is just superb!!

take care

Stu

Back