RIP Commander John Koenig

Great shame, he was great in Space 1999.

I was a Space 1999 fan, never saw his Mission Impossible stuff. RIP

Ditto.
Matt

The full space 1999 series is available on youtube, although they haven't aged well, especially if you like a little science with your fiction.

The full space 1999 series is available on youtube, although they haven't aged well, especially if you like a little science with your fiction.
The whole premise of Space 1999 had little to do with science, which was why I said I loved it when I was younger. ;) Even then I realised it got more preposterous as it went on, but it was good at the time. :) I had the Eagle spaceship too. :D

I was into watching the old episodes of Mission Impossible over the last few months, but they have stopped showing them now. :( According to IMDB he wasn't meant to have such a large part in MI, but Stephen Hill, who played the lead character, Mr Briggs, was a bit unreliable and became difficult to work with, so his part got bigger. He was eventually replaced by Peter Graves, who was Mr Phelps who most people remember.

Yup, Rollin Hand was his screen name in MI........if memory is correct.

The original MI series was 'must watch' :)

Shame that he's only referred to (in the thread title) by one of his characters' names rather than his real name.

Shame that he's only referred to (in the thread title) by one of his characters' names rather than his real name.
Shame I explained why in the opening post.(y)

In Space 1999 he stood out as even less interesting than his fellow actors.

In Space 1999 he stood out as even less interesting than his fellow actors.
Mmm, the phrase "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" comes to mind. That we are talking about a person who has just passed away, makes it doubly bad taste imho. :( :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mmm, the phrase "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" comes to mind.
I rather think that what you really mean to say is "if you don't agree with me - don't say anything". Why not post that at the beginning of every post so that those who hold different views are warned?

Do remember there being a very attractive woman in Space 1999 who could transform into other living creatures.
Suppose that would be the sort of thing to interest a teenage boy, also remember the rather nice ladies who manned moonbase in UFO

Might be wrong but I think Space 1999 evolved from an attempt at remaking UFO

Last edited:
Do remember there being a very attractive woman in Space 1999 who could transform into other living creatures.
Suppose that would be the sort of thing to interest a teenage boy, also remember the rather nice ladies who manned moonbase in UFO

There's a connection. UFO was canned after a couple of seasons, but not before Gerry Anderson had built 'Moonbase II' as an upgraded facility. It was natural that the sets were recycled for use in S1999.

And yes, the ladies were lovely generally in UFO, and not just on Moonbase - styles and clothing pretty much hit the peak of attractiveness for women in that era. Gabriel Drake was certainly a favourite back then.

Might be wrong but I think Space 1999 evolved from an attempt at remaking UFO

Yeah they were both made by Gerry Anderson, and Maya was the shapeshifting alien

One other little bit of trivia for those of us who watchéd Buffy.

Spike's rather deranged girlfriend Dru was played by Juliet Landau, daughter of Martin

I rather think that what you really mean to say is "if you don't agree with me - don't say anything". Why not post that at the beginning of every post so that those who hold different views are warned?
No, when we are talking about someone who has died, and people are marking their passing in a respectful way, to start knocking performances in certain shows is a bit crass imho.

Disagree with me all you want, but in less sombre threads please.

I'm sure a moderator will tell me when my opinion is not welcome, if that's the case. Otherwise, I'll state it and you can display your opinion as you choose.

Last edited:
I'm sure a moderator will tell me when my opinion is not welcome, if that's the case. Otherwise, I'll state it and you can display your opinion as you choose.

You shouldn't have to rely on a moderator to tell you whether or not your opinion is welcome but common sense should tell you that a thread mourning someone's passing isn't the place to criticise their performances.

You shouldn't have to rely on a moderator to tell you whether or not your opinion is welcome but common sense should tell you that a thread mourning someone's passing isn't the place to criticise their performances.
If that's the official opinion, feel free to delete my account.

I'd go further and say COMMON SENSE AND A DEGREE OF HUMAN DECENCY PERSONALLY.

But seeing as you DO seem to need telling by staff members, now you can consider the above opinion to be more than an isolated voice in the staffroom.

We don't/can't delete accounts, but you can apply for it closing via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen, where I'm sure that one of the owners will be happy to help you out.

I'm not going to apologise for stating an honest opinion. I don't see what that has to do with either "common sense" or "decency".

I'm not going to apologise for stating an honest opinion. I don't see what that has to do with either "common sense" or "decency".

Time & place for everything. This thread was a memorial for people to express their sadness at his passing, rather than an opportunity to critique his acting performance.

Time & place for everything. This thread was a memorial for people to express their sadness at his passing, rather than an opportunity to critique his acting performance.
Then perhaps the original poster should have added "No negative posts, please" to the end of his entry?

No - it's obvious to most that you don't go to a funeral and urinate in the grave.
But this isn't anything like that, it's a few people chatting via keyboards; in this case about someone none of us knew. There can be no guarantee that everyone shares the same taboos. I certainly don't believe in speaking no ill of the dead, especially in these circumstances. On the other hand, if the OP had simply made their wishes known, I would have respected them.

Back