Ripples, reflections

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
To stimulate comment: two old images. In the first, the ripples are essential (in my view of the image) to give a shallow inverted V of broken reflections of the reeds. The ripples give textural contrast to the reeds themselves, which a reflection would not. In the second - well, a perfect reflection is absolutely essential. Horse for courses?

_FJA0860nc.jpg

_B289560rnc2.jpg

The 1st doesn't work for me at all. I think a reflection would accentuate the V shape more strongly.

The 2nd picture is marvellous but I myself don't care much for the foreground rocks - I personally would have waded beyond them or placed the camera higher (one of them is dangerously close to cutting off the reflection of the mountain) and gone for the simple uncluttered shot but many wouldn't.

I would have avoided the rocks in both of them (even if that is not the topic of the thread). For me, ripples give life to a picture with water in it and I would prefer ripples in any picture containing water. It is too easy to get hung up on technical perfection when we should be looking at aesthetics and story telling.

I would have avoided the rocks in both of them (even if that is not the topic of the thread). For me, ripples give life to a picture with water in it and I would prefer ripples in any picture containing water. It is too easy to get hung up on technical perfection when we should be looking at aesthetics and story telling.

I couldn't disagree more. Unless it's a fall or sea I would want the water to be still, or perhaps very textured but not in between. Reflections give an image soul and feeling and from an aesthetic a reflection is probably the most beautiful naturally occuring phenononom in our world.

Really enjoy the first image John - makes you stop and think about it a bit more than the second one, a perfect reflection would make it a less intriguing image for me. Only minor crit in the second is the centre rock is a bit tight with the line of the reflection although I'm guessing it would have been hard to avoid

Last edited:
The first one doesn't need a reflection, theres very little of interest to reflect imo. The second one is an excellent image and the reflection accentuates the overall feel good factor from viewing it.

Back