RL with my new 7D

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just picked up a used 7D (normally use my 60D and 70-200 f2.8) and decided to give it a run out today at my son's u13's RL match. When I imported them to lightroom I noticed a bit or a warm/orange tinge to the the greens (WB was set as cloudy in camera). I've corrected it post but just wanted to ask if it's my fault with the setting or maybe there is a fault with the camera.

Un-processed
IMG_0142 by Lee Reilly, on Flickr

Processed
IMG_0142-2 by Lee Reilly, on Flickr

I find cloudy WB in my nikon to be too warm for anything but thick cloud cover.

Thanks. I'm gonna see how things are next weekend. I shoot in RAW so can correct but want to do as little afterwards as possible.

The processed one looks too cold to me. Somewhere in between perhaps?

Thanks guys/gals,

I'll try the auto WB setting next time. I do need to upgrade the firmware too,but I don't think that'll change anything.

I tried to get it to a level from what I remembered on a cold Sunday morning, maybe not as drastic next time.

Leave it on Auto WB and correct in post (if need be) as you shoot RAW (y)

Which translated means ... Take a bad picture on purpose and fix it on your computer.. :(

IF your shooting RAW then surely whatever white balance you set has no effect? ??????

Why shoot RAW for sports ..I doubt your going to spend hrs editing the pics.. Shoot JPG and set the WB see what happens

Which translated means ... Take a bad picture on purpose and fix it on your computer.. :(

IF your shooting RAW then surely whatever white balance you set has no effect? ??????

Why shoot RAW for sports ..I doubt your going to spend hrs editing the pics.. Shoot JPG and set the WB see what happens

No, not take a bad picture on purpose, RAW gives you that flexibility to change it.

If he's just starting out, then he probably will have a good go at editing them so it makes sense to get something to play with, rather than a duff jpg :)

No, not take a bad picture on purpose, RAW gives you that flexibility to change it.

But your still advising him to take a picture with bad WB and fix it with software.. Sorry but thats exactly what you advised him to do ..just because the software is good at fixing it doesn't change that ?.. RAW should never be used as a crutch.....

if your camera has the ability then shoot at something white or light grey and set that as your WB ....bingo ...

So I go to a swimming pool.. the pic on the left is auto WB (bad picture) the pic on the right is moments later after I set my WB manually.. NOT after i got home and used photoshop to make a bad picture better..

WB22.jpg

WB22.jpg[\img]

Last edited:
But your still advising him to take a picture with bad WB and fix it with software.. Sorry but thats exactly what you advised him to do ..just because the software is good at fixing it doesn't change that ?.. RAW should never be used as a crutch.....

if your camera has the ability then shoot at something white or light grey and set that as your WB ....bingo ...

He's said that he's shooting in RAW already, so going on that, he's going to be editing his pics anyway. I can see the point in doing it correctly in camera if you're shooting jpeg (Which I do for sports), but with RAW you need to process the file, so Auto WB gets it right 9 times out of 10. If it doesn't, then select an alternative WB setting :)

He's said that he's shooting in RAW already, so going on that, he's going to be editing his pics anyway. I can see the point in doing it correctly in camera if you're shooting jpeg (Which I do for sports), but with RAW you need to process the file, so Auto WB gets it right 9 times out of 10. If it doesn't, then select an alternative WB setting :)

My problem is IF your shooting RAW because of the above. why shoot raw for sports..get it right in camera and no need to put yourself through all that work... just looked and the 7d has WB bracketing and compensation... could use that?

Thanks for the comments @KIPAX and @wezza13.

I suppose I could shoot in jpeg but for a while now I've shot in RAW as it has given me more flexibility afterwards. I generally thought that was the better format to use. I've been taking shots of them 4/5 times a season over the last 4 years with my 60D, the shots have improved with better positioning, use of a monopod and playing around with the shutter speeds. I've just got hold of a 7D and it was my first outing with it.

Last Sunday I did shoot with AWB and found I did a lot less tweaking afterwards, thinking back I might not have needed to do any temp correction. Just cropping to suit and the odd exposure tweak. I still need to work on the composition and trying to get rid of the odd stray arm/leg.

IMG_0376-2 by Lee Reilly, on Flickr
IMG_0361 by Lee Reilly, on Flickr
IMG_0273 by Lee Reilly, on Flickr

Thanks for the comments @KIPAX and @wezza13.

I suppose I could shoot in jpeg but for a while now I've shot in RAW as it has given me more flexibility afterwards. I generally thought that was the better format to use.

Jpeg's perfect enough for sports if you want/need to get the pictures out quick, to a media outlet, etc and to reduce your workflow.

RAW is what I use for everything else i.e. Wildlife, general, travel and sports (if I am planning or have time to do some editing afterwards). Jpeg though when shooting for my local club and agency stuff (y)

Have you got any picture styles set for your 7D? I use a 7D (s/hand) and it seems to work just fine in .jpg.

Back