North England Robin Hoods Bay

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,
I'm heading over to Robin Hoods Bay for a few days, I have never been before I was just wondering if there are any great locations there to photo? Looking go to some long exposure coastal shots and any awesome views/locations around the area.

you can get some shots from the top , near the pub ,overlooking the bay
Whitby is five minutes away, staithes, sandsend
are all close

Whitby Abbey is worth a visit but you do have to pay..

The walk from Robin Hood bay back to the car park is well steep!

Lots to see and do in the area!

Take a drive North to the spots mentioned above.

Whitby is worth a day.

Sandsend has some nice views and good craching waves from the car park at the North end at high tide.

Staithes has a few classic spots - stick it in Google Images.

Funicular (sp) railway down to the pier at Saltburn.

Then there's the North Yorkshire Moors Railway if you like a Steam Train. Whitby to Goathland (Adensfield from "Where the Heart Is') with a stop over at Grosmont (good cafe there too)

If you have a look on Joe Cornish’s website you’ll see the potential in that area. Just have a drive though and see what bay or area takes your fancy. It’s a great bit of coastline

Many years back i went to whitby and at the top of a very steep set of old stone steps there is an very old church. Inside it is just like going back a hundred years .
It is just like the inside of a church i once saw on an old whaling film. Very interesting . I think it is whitby .If not im sure someone will put me right.
Also a set of whale jawbones on a hill overlooking the sea.

If you get the time, a walk along the Esk valley is a photographer's dream. Take the train to Dalby and walk to Castleton for example. Have a pint at our local (Eskdale Inn) then catch the train back.

Last edited:
There is always Falling Foss which is near by for a long exposure on a waterfall.

I was at Robin Hoods Bay a couple of weeks ago, and I must say at low tide, the sea goes out a long way.

In addition to the landscape aspects, there are some photogenic little corners and alley ways in the village itself.

Back