Robin in Flight

Name
Daron
Edit My Images
Yes
I uploaded this pic a while ago but just realised that there is a bird specific forum, so here it is in the right place.

IMG_9305.jpg
[/IMG]

It's my first decent pic with my new gear but I would like to capture more birds in flight so some advice on focus would be appreciated.

I tried to guess where the focus would be & then snap away as I wasn't able to keep af point on the bird while it flew.

For guess work you are not too far out with the focus on this image ... (y) ... it is near as damn it where it should be ... on its eye ... ;)

Manual focus and a smaller aperture than normal to make allowance for movement might help ... :shrug:

:p

Yeah I was lucky with this one because I focussed on the branch & then the robin flew parallel with it, but many other birds weren't so helpful & insisted on flying toward or away from me!

Difficult to say if its OOF or not. Id say it was ok, but he shutter speed is too low so it looks a bit blurred

Good shot. The branch is tack-sharp, and I think you've 'almost' got away with enough DOF with the Robin - could be slightly more in focus though. You've managed to get the 'all-important' 'catch-light' in the eye, which is a good thing. All in all, an excellent effort and a great image. Good work :clap:

Thanks chaps, the light was constantly changing & I was juggling aperture & iso trying to keep up the shutter speed.

Do some of try to use af for this sort of thing?
I was using 70-200 at 200 & was unable to pan well enough to keep the centre point on the nippy little b*ggers!

It's a lot of fun to try to capture bird images of any sort...and a special treat to get them on the wing. You've gotten off to a good start with this shot, and I'm looking forward to more from you!

Back