ROBW_UK 2020 52 Thread - week 14 Time

Almost an abstract, I like this it is different.

Like it as well - I needed the explanation to know what it is (although I see the screwdrivers now). I really like the abstract nature of this shot.

Ooo...that's a very nice image Robert!:clap:
It's certainly a different take on the theme...abstract and very interesting....and all the better for it too!

Knowing what it is, has grounded it well, but for me, the abstract-ness is it's strength, and the mystery of what it might or might not be, is certainly a plus in my book!
Great lighting technique, and I like the hints of shadows cast by the screwdrivers.
Excellent work Robert!(y)

Sorry Rob, it doesn't really work for me.
On theme though and kudos for trying something new :)
to be honest I am not 100% happy with it. Maybe for the users choice I will try again. I used it to quickly test my old flash triggers on the A7 so now I know they work will re-learn flash skills

It's a very different take on the theme quite high key to me, it doesn't really work for me but I like that you've tried something different.

pleasure - very interesting, I didn't even know that such things existed. Does it come with swappable objects to put on the fourth plinth? I would have put the focus maybe on the fountains of on the entrance to the NG.

tool - I see what you were aiming at, but for me it's too much flash and not enough focus...

Interesting concept Robert.

Took me a while to work that one out! Nicely done.

This is the most unusual image I’ve seen for the theme. I’d quite like a tad more focus on the tips of the screw drivers, but I’m not sure if you’d lose the abstract nature of the photo then, which I really like.

Congratulations on coming up with something completely different.

Thank you all for the comments...I know the image divided opinion - I think I may retry it for one of the "users choice" weeks

Week 4 - Discard(Ed)... took a walk round the locality for anything interesting. A lot of litter but just this McDonalds cup took my fancy. Processed in GIMP using G'MIC plug-in

discarded by Robert Worth, on Flickr

Hi Rob, just catching up with 'Tools' in the main image thread and I'm here just in time for your 'Discarded' too! I'm in the 'love it' camp for your Tools image; I really like the ultra shallow DOF that makes you look twice to work out what the subject is, and I agree with those who say it gives an almost abstract result. Good choice of subject and processing (y)

More shallow DOF in your latest image and it brings the eye straight to the litter in the foreground. Always a shame to see that, and the drab sky and monochrome processing again suit the depressing subject.

Hi Rob

I think that is a setup shot, you never get just 1 bit of MacDonalds rubbish in a place. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Its a great Image, good use of Dof to highlght the point of interest at the bottom of the frame.

Pete

Bang on theme Robert and I like the way the "discard" is right at the bottom, you have to search for it,
its not immediately obvious. It works well IMO

I like the photo of the McDonald's cup - especially the non-conventionall placement of the main subject. Definitely not a "nice" image, but it fits the theme well, and works as a photo.

I find something really evocative of my youth in this shot, grey streets, grey skis and litter. You really have got this shot right IMHO. Really enjoying your images in the 52.

had to scroll down to find it, good Dof, works on Flickr where I can see the whole image on my screen

Sad but true.. it's not an uncommon sight but makes a very nice image - good composition.

Nice simple shot, I’m sure there was probably a rubbish bin within a short distance too it could have been put in. A lot of people have lost any pride in their surroundings whether its a short term location or more permanent

I like that photo, great use of DoF, strong leading lines and great B&W processing!

That`s a cool shot Rob, at first slowly scrolling down I thought nothing in it but then you come to the Mac cup.
Hi Rob, just catching up with 'Tools' in the main image thread and I'm here just in time for your 'Discarded' too! I'm in the 'love it' camp for your Tools image; I really like the ultra shallow DOF that makes you look twice to work out what the subject is, and I agree with those who say it gives an almost abstract result. Good choice of subject and processing (y)

More shallow DOF in your latest image and it brings the eye straight to the litter in the foreground. Always a shame to see that, and the drab sky and monochrome processing again suit the depressing subject.
Hi Rob

I think that is a setup shot, you never get just 1 bit of MacDonalds rubbish in a place. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Its a great Image, good use of Dof to highlght the point of interest at the bottom of the frame.

Pete
Bang on theme Robert and I like the way the "discard" is right at the bottom, you have to search for it,
its not immediately obvious. It works well IMO
Really like this shot. Personally I would of moved the cup to give it a wee bit of an angle. Possibly cheating a bit [emoji16]
Perfect theme fitment Robert, nicely done!(y)
As Andrea @Manxmaid said, it is somewhat depressing to see littering, but your composition and processing fits with this very well indeed!
Compelling!
I like the photo of the McDonald's cup - especially the non-conventionall placement of the main subject. Definitely not a "nice" image, but it fits the theme well, and works as a photo.
I find something really evocative of my youth in this shot, grey streets, grey skis and litter. You really have got this shot right IMHO. Really enjoying your images in the 52.
had to scroll down to find it, good Dof, works on Flickr where I can see the whole image on my screen
Sad but true.. it's not an uncommon sight but makes a very nice image - good composition.
I like the framing of the cup right at the bottom of the image and I like the shallow dof too.
I think the processing suits it and it's good to see a deliberate deviation from the rule of thirds.
Nice simple shot and on theme, l have to say l always thought they came in pairs and with a screwed up paper bag!
Nice simple shot, I’m sure there was probably a rubbish bin within a short distance too it could have been put in. A lot of people have lost any pride in their surroundings whether its a short term location or more permanent
Perfect for the theme. I really like the composition and depth of field. The monochrome treatment adds to it. Very nice.
Well spotted and good use of depth-of-field.
I like that photo, great use of DoF, strong leading lines and great B&W processing!
Thanks all.. was taken on a walk around the locality specifically for the topic. A few "discarded" shots had more rubbish on waste ground but felt the bleakness of this was more in keeping.

I am a shallow DoF guy but need to think differently for up coming themes (am also more b&w leaning at the moment but will fit to theme)

I like the look of that. It looks got in b/w and I like the portrait orientation.

Simple effective image for discarded, nice :)

Back