B&W Rocks and waves

Well this is a flop!

It's slightly tricky to comment helpfully.

I like the potential drama, but it slightly lacks a focal point and excitement: the water was obviously splashing over the rocks but you've missed it and it's just running away, the sky looks like it should/could be really stormy & menacing but instead is 50 shades of grey, the sun may have been bursting through but is lost in a pale patch on the horizon.

My feeling is that instead of being nicely balanced, you could drop exposure away, crank up the contrast with a gradient on the sky and some brushwork on the foreground. However there's not a great deal actually happening, and that, as much as anything, means it's not going to be astonishing. Certainly worth re-processing though.

Last edited:
I would agree with Rob and if it helps and forgive me for saying but you have posted a lot of rock and wave type images before and certainly better ones than this.

It fails for me I'm afraid for a number of reasons.

There is a very evident line created by the parallel rock formations that point out to sea - but away from the sunlight breaking through. I wonder if you could have changed your position to alter this angle to have the pointing going towards the sun?

The small piece of cliff/headland at the left hand edge captures and holds the attention because it's the only thing on that line; and the net effect is to take the eye away from everything else.

GIven this as a starting point, if it were mine I'd crop the bottom to place the horizon (which is curved, by the way) in the centre. That would reduce the rocks to one prominent one, pointing to the light. I'd also crop the left hand side to remove the land mass.

As a matter of interest, what was the intended subject?

Looking at it after the comments received I can see I missed the mark. My processing has not helped and I dont think I had the light well for this to work.

Back