Rook

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Don't think I see many rooks and definitely haven't seen one showing well like this one before.

D500 + 300mm PF + 1.4tc so not as pin sharp as could be, but still shows the scale of the beak compared to the body.

Hi Chris, living near London, I suppose you don't see too many. Got hundreds here lol as there's an orchard behind my house.

A nice image considering the upwards angle, the blacks have got nice detail in them. Halo all round the bird and perch though ;)

Yep see loads around me, lovely colour to the feathers that isn't apparent from a distance. :)

Morning Chris

a few things to try in processing and see what you think

1). Blues and Blacks together - I always feel that it is important to get the sky natural and to be sure that the black does not display any obvious blues - WB usually helps as the colour of the sky usually dictates

2). NR - background - this needs to be consistent and not patchy

3). B & W points - push them both ways and then pull them back until you are happy

don't push the sharpness, (except maybe at the end) and don't use the clarity slider, especially with black birds

just my views .. and only mine

as a start - this may be better in parts but maybe still a little too much blue in the birds head ........ it's a good image so most adjustments will only be subtle

Chris_Rook_4.jpg

The image looks sharpe enough to me from that distance - looking up at the subject will always be commented upon - the halo, (around part of the bird) - when you are processing just keep an eye on this - toning down any highlights on the perch is always good as they can distract from the subject

Your original

Chris_Rook_org.jpg

Last edited:
Thank for the feedback. Yeah looking up is never good I know that, I was just excited to see a rook (which sounds silly given you lot seem to see them easily!) so I shot away.

I'll be honest, I'm normally the first to notice haloing on images and I agree it's a sign of bad PP, however I really didn't notice it on this image when I was at the computer last night. I'm on my phone now so I'll have a look again tonight. Having said that, it was 11pm and I had had a few (small) glasses of whisky after a busy day so maybe I missed it :D

@BillN_33

1) Agree about the wb. It was originally much more blue so I've adjusted wb but only universally. I did see more blue on the head after I'd finished but was too late and needed to go to bed. Think I'll have another play tonight if I have time.

2) haven't done any NR at all so not sure what you mean about patchy NR. Again I'll have to look tonight when I'm on my PC.

3) I did do that with the b&w points. I was happy with it but I am happy to hear what you think is wrong with them (or rather could be improved upon as opposed to being wrong).

Thanks for the feedback again, it's appreciated.

Thank for the feedback. Yeah looking up is never good I know that, I was just excited to see a rook (which sounds silly given you lot seem to see them easily!) so I shot away.

I'll be honest, I'm normally the first to notice haloing on images and I agree it's a sign of bad PP, however I really didn't notice it on this image when I was at the computer last night. I'm on my phone now so I'll have a look again tonight. Having said that, it was 11pm and I had had a few (small) glasses of whisky after a busy day so maybe I missed it :D

@BillN_33

1) Agree about the wb. It was originally much more blue so I've adjusted wb but only universally. I did see more blue on the head after I'd finished but was too late and needed to go to bed. Think I'll have another play tonight if I have time.

2) haven't done any NR at all so not sure what you mean about patchy NR. Again I'll have to look tonight when I'm on my PC.

3) I did do that with the b&w points. I was happy with it but I am happy to hear what you think is wrong with them (or rather could be improved upon as opposed to being wrong).

Thanks for the feedback again, it's appreciated.

Thanks Chris - good to have a conversation

NR - was a general comment but also if you clone anything out of the image it usually "smooths" out any noise in that area ...... the main this that I noticed in your image was the "colour" of the blue ....... I'm sure some on here will prefer your original . ..... but for me it set the tone of the black ..... all other weeks would be minor

Last edited:
Back