Critique Roseberry Topping, a slightly different angle

Beautiful light very well captured. The leading line works well and keeping the sun on the edge of the frameworks for me, you've kept the Rays but it's not overpowering.

The only question I kep asking myself is whether it would be even better if the hill was slightly more off centre, to the left. But this is a minor tweak, I really enjoy it as it is.

Looking at both of them, I think I prefer the second shot. The extra lit foliage in the foreground adds more to the shot than the darker background on the left that's been lost.

Both great shots however.

I wish I was interested in taking photos thirty years ago when Roseberry had a lot more topping.
Great light and colours there ... but I am disturbingly reminded of a nipply booby.

I love this and slightly prefer the first version that you posted. Lovely dramatic sky. beautiful light and a lovely subject.

Chris

Second one for me and it's a beautiful shot, worth all the planning and missing a game for

Hi Guys,

I live very near Roseberry Topping and always try to find new ways of photographing it. I was out this evening with noone else around, which was nice. I took this, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Critique welcome.

Thanks,
JPJ
great photo I don't live very far from there in fact I can see it out of my kitchen window.

The second version works better for me - more sense of depth like that. :)

I'd not realised about the grad (this hasn't spoiled the image like they usually do). Whay you can do about it is either expose for the highlights and careful PP or double exposure & blend. this effect is why I won't use a grad filter.

Last edited:
I prefer no 2, in fact I might even crop a little bit more of the L.h. s. away. fabulous sky and great light on the vegetation. Makes a nice change from all those wishy-washy "golden hour" images.....:exit:

Regarding the result of the grad on the hill top, maybe it might be possible to select it and increase the exposure a little in your software?

I bracketed so there are different exposures of the same shot. I tried some careful brush work in pp but it doesn't look right... I don't find it detracts too much from the image. It is quite dark at the top anyway.

Very nice shot Lyle, lovely light, well composed with a nice leading line into the shot, and a great sky.(y)

"Maybe a tad dark on the mountain top but other than that very nice".

George.

Very nice shot Lyle, lovely light, well composed with a nice leading line into the shot, and a great sky.(y)

"Maybe a tad dark on the mountain top but other than that very nice".

George.

Thanks, that mountain top has been the very difficult to try to lighten. I've done a lot of PP work to try and fix it but sadly I've not managed to get anything that looks natural enough. I wish there was something I could do!

Last edited:
Thanks, that mountain top has been the very difficult to try to lighten. I've done a lot of PP work to try and fix it but sadly I've not managed to get anything that looks natural enough. I wish there was something I could do!

It's a lovely scene with great light Lyle. You could shoot brackets then very easily bring in the native brighter exposure for the hilltop in PS. Message me if you want some tips how to do this.

Back