Roseberry Topping

Nice view, but I'd be inclined to drop the boosted vibrance a little to make it more believable.

Yep, tke sky is just a little ott and tbh, the frame would benefit from a wide crop removing some of the sky.

Lovely conditions to be out and about in. You cannot beat this time of year, its just lovely with everything coming to life again.

Nice view, but I'd be inclined to drop the boosted vibrance a little to make it more believable.
Yep, tke sky is just a little ott and tbh, the frame would benefit from a wide crop removing some of the sky.

Lovely conditions to be out and about in. You cannot beat this time of year, its just lovely with everything coming to life again.
Thanks for the input, I will bear that in mind if i get round to printing it. I sort of see what you mean about the crop, but I preferred the sky being in, but wondered if a crop on the right taking out some of the dead space there might be better too.

Is this any different?

NGU_0666 by Neil, on Flickr

Last edited:
10 minutes from my house, as Mildenhall is from yours Orangecroc. :). Ive still not been to catch the Bluebells. Too busy down Suffolk and Liverpool and going away on Friday for a week. Hope they last a bit longer.

That second one is better I think. In the first you can see a hint of the purples maybe as a result of where you have tweaked the bluebells. Lovely shot though.

I prefer the second too. A cracking viewpoint and I like the composition.

Hoping to head here tomorrow on a mammoth photographic trip from Edinburgh down to Brighton. Won't be there until 10am but really looking forward to visiting. Do you park in the car park or is there a better place. Any advice on where this view is would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer the second too. A cracking viewpoint and I like the composition.

Hoping to head here tomorrow on a mammoth photographic trip from Edinburgh down to Brighton. Won't be there until 10am but really looking forward to visiting. Do you park in the car park or is there a better place. Any advice on where this view is would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck tomorrow! I usually park in the car park at the bottom, it is about £4.50 for all day. Not sure if you have been here before but it is about a 30 isn min walk to the bluebell bit, depending on how much stuff you are carrying. Apparently there is much closer parking near the farm nearby, but I have no idea how to get there unfortunately.

As for where the view is (sorry I overlooked this) you go up the car park and when you get to the path, turn right. The path winds upwards and if you keep heading right and up you should eventually walk through the path you can (possibly) see in the middle of the photo above (Edit you can't - but you can't miss it as it is a clear track with thick bluebells on both sides and you can look back form here to Roseberry Topping). Keep going and there is a small path on the left hand side. If you come to the fence with barbed wire you have gone a little too far. I expect that once you are on the right track there will be people heading to this viewpoint and you might be able to follow them as it is near the end of the fence where the bluebells end, but slightly back.

Last edited:
Made it down today. What a gorgeous place. I stupidly arrived without change so gave the car park a miss and went from the other end just parking in a residential street. Still ended up in the same spot you described and decided to go all the way to the fence. Thanks again for your help as I spotted the place working from the end of your directions. Here is one of mine from today
Roseberry Topping by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Made it down today.
Glad you found it, sort of. Sort of because yours are much better than mine! I know it is done a lot now, but it is a lovely area and the bluebells always look amazing. I ended up wandering around at the very end of the fence where the bluebells end for anoint 10 mins last time until I found my way back to this spot.

Last edited:
Glad you found it, sort of. Sort of because yours are much better than mine! I know it is done a lot now, but it is a lovely area and the bluebells always look amazing. I ended up wandering around at the very end of the fence where the bluebells end for anoint 10 mins last time until I found my way back to this spot.

The thing that makes this image good is the light - warm, and coming from low to the side. Your foreground appeared to be in shadow, and it made the image a bit flat - perhaps you needed time to wait for the light to shift a bit?

TBH I'd probably work those 2 more, boosting contrast to get more difference between light & shade and making the image punchier, but with less vibrance.

Back