Critique Roseberry Topping

Certainly some lovely light and I think the composition is very good. The red grasses in front of the bottom rock distract me a little, the eye will always go to red first. Maybe desturate or spot heal/clone them? A very nice image though. (y)

I haven’t seen a truly excellent pic of this Roseberry topping but this must come very close, that’s some lovely light and colours you have captured. The rock as a foreground element is a bit passé though and is a fair chunk bigger than the ‘subject’ perhaps a little over intrusive.

Certainly some lovely light and I think the composition is very good. The red grasses in front of the bottom rock distract me a little, the eye will always go to red first. Maybe desturate or spot heal/clone them? A very nice image though. (y)

Thanks Dale. I'll have a look at those couple of bits of grass and see what I can do. Might be pushing my PS skills though :LOL:

That's very nice. It looks like there's room to experiment with different foregrounds here.

Cheers Jeremy. It's been a good location to find, and yes there is certainly potential for a number of different compositions.

I haven’t seen a truly excellent pic of this Roseberry topping but this must come very close, that’s some lovely light and colours you have captured. The rock as a foreground element is a bit passé though and is a fair chunk bigger than the ‘subject’ perhaps a little over intrusive.

Thanks Mark, appreciate your comments. The area is untidy and a bit chaotic which in part drove the tight framing on the foreground stones, but the main reason was simply that I liked them even if it is a little bit passé as you say. It's certainly a location I will return to, and as I said above, I still see at least the location as a work in progress in try and nail down the best possible composition.

Cheers,

Simon.

Maybe a touch more breathing room would've been nice but I really like it anyway. Well composed and fantastic light and moody cloud...what's not to like? You could apply a radial filter to darken the bright grass if you wanted

I like it also - processing looks fine and whilst I am not big on foregrounds preferring the distant view it all works cohesively - I'd like just a little more sky but I cannot see how you'd achieve that without ramming the rock to close to the bottom or opening up unnecessary room left and right. Given it's hardly a mountain to get excited about this would be more than good enough for me. You might have gotten away with a smidge less ground at the bottom and a smidge more sky but all in all...good job.

Nice golden hour shot, maybe a revisit in summer when the purple heather comes into bloom ?
It produces some nice pictures from distance.

I almost like the top half better with just those rocks on the right.
It is a beautifully lit moment nonetheless and so fleeting at this time of year.

I really like the overall composition of this image. If I were to change one thing it is the size of the white rock in the foreground. My eye gets caught on it and I struggle to move on from it.
Light is amazing end the axposure is great. Well done

Stunning that Simon. Always love local shots. Ive yet to get a sunrise shot and only got the cliched Bluebells and Sunset from Gribdale versions.

Back