Rosie with softbox for white background

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Wasn't sure if dog portraits should go here or in Nature - domesticated so Mods feel free to move if necessary.

Thought I'd give it a go since @Phrasemaker put me onto this way of getting a white background.

After a couple of hours and 2 bags of treats I've finally got some shots I'm happy with.

50mm seems a little short for a dog portrait, the 85mm shots had a better perspective.

Do you guys think the background is a little burnt out or about right? Too little and it appeared a little blue.

For a first try I'm happy with them.

Terry.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PQgrEY]Rosie 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PQguAs]Rosie 2 by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QTsPT5]Rosie 3 by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

100cm softbox providing light from the left and used a cheap Neewer flash on a tripod to the right so that may explain the colour temperature difference on Rosie's left eye.

Think I need another Smartflash already.

Looking at them critically (and before anyone else mentions it) I can see light fall off to the bottom of the shots.

Practice!

Do you guys think the background is a little burnt out or about right? Too little and it appeared a little blue.

The background is very nearly pure white but not quite. So yes, it is 'burnt out' - but isn't that what you were aiming for? You've got good contrast & edge detail though. Was the background lit or done in post?

fwiw if you really want pure white then you can test your results using a combination of exposure & threshold adjustment layers in Photoshop. Though it's not often necessary to get a background pure white unless the image is going to appear surrounded by white.

100cm softbox providing light from the left and used a cheap Neewer flash on a tripod to the right so that may explain the colour temperature difference on Rosie's left eye.

Think I need another Smartflash already.

I doubt it - you can get a long way with reflectors.

Looks like you had some fun with your lighting. Lovely subject. Personally I'd like a little more depth to the pictures in so much as they look just a tiny bit like a photo of a picture. Nothing that can't be looked at through editing. How you would achieve that if you want to (you may not, or you may disagree with the observation) is obviously your choice to make. Forgive me if I'm offering anything which you would rather I din't. I don't really know anyone here to have grasp over individual preferences when it comes to honestly arrived at feedback.

I spent five minutes on one of your images just to offer something you might want to disregard or maybe it will provoke an idea or two from yourself.

Kind regards

Tim

Rosie.jpg

Yeah I like it Tim.

Don't worry about upsetting me with observations, it won't happen.

Grateful for any and all feedback. That's how we learn.

Hi Terry.
Liking your photo here. I have not taken any dog photos with a white background so couldnt comment on the lighting of that. I have taken a few dog portraits though and would like to do more as they make great images/subjects.
I have only used one speedlight in a softbox either with or without a reflector which seems to have worked out ok up until now. Mind you different dogs in different spaces may require another aproach.

Have fun.

Gaz

Last edited:
Back