Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

Week 9 - Abundance

I knew as soon as this came up I knew that I didn't want to use the snow, as it was starting to go grey and horrible so went to a place I had only recently heard about, which I thought would be perfect for this theme.

I then had another brainwave, due to the crap weather, of another shot I could use.

My first choice of location was Leake Street Tunnel. A tunnel near Waterloo which is a canvas for graffiti artists to use. So my choice of topic is an "Abundance of Colour'

Abundance1.jpg

Abundance2.jpg

Abundance3.jpg

Abundace4.jpg

My second choice, which i only really discovered when I went for a coffee in Waterloo station, to get out of the snow and the cold. Looking over the edge of the balcony, at the people waiting on delayed and cancelled trains, there was an

'Abundance of People'

Abundance of people1.jpg

These are all uploaded at a reduced quality. the better quality shots are on Flickr.

Last shot in the next post.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Hi Ross, I'm hugely behind on commenting and I'm sorry to not have got to you at all before, so here goes :D

People - The first is bit dark but I guess thats possibly because it was taken through the window but I do like the second, nice comp and lines leading you from the front cyclist through to the back of the image
Over - Most unusual building, I prefer the sky in the 1st one, it seems to go with the looming over theme a bit better and don't know why but it does look better still on Flickr
Stark - I like the 1st image best. I like that you just have the one key in focus
Age - As you say it would have been nice to have both bits of wood in focus but I think you got away with it, nice oof city scape in the bg
Sharp - You do appear to have found the same cactus as me :D Nice and sharp. I think I prefer the cropped version it does focus you in on the main subject
Guard - What a cutie, the 1st image is lovely, nice gentle colours but I like the second one better. Good focus on the eye and definitely looks more on guard in this one
Thick - Certainly some thick steel work. I like the B&W processing and another that does look better on Flickr. Much more detail on show the
Abundance - Goodness don't know which to choose. Love all the graffiti ones, great vibrant colours but also love the perspective on the people. Going to pick the last graffiti one, as I think it would make a good canvas on the wall and the 1st people one as I like that they all seem to be stood in an arc. I find that quite pleasing for some reason

:D

Abundance of people no1 for me Ross. Very different shot, great angle and works very well for the theme imo

They've all got an abundance of colour but I like the abstract nature of #4, makes the most of the colours for me.

Abundance of people no2 for me. I like the extra movement and the escalator :)

Like the last of the graffiti ones Ross. Very pleasing DOf and abstract nature. With the people shots I keep wanting to see what they're looking at; I prefer the first one I think.:)

Week 9 - Abundance

My first choice of location was Leake Street Tunnel. A tunnel near Waterloo which is a canvas for graffiti artists to use. So my choice of topic is an "Abundance of Colour'

I didn't take any significance from the comment above about where the tunnel itself was, and I hadn't noticed it - then I was talking to my nephew this morning and he was saying that he went to London last year and took some photos at a famous graffiti tunnel - and now I know, i'll have to take a trip to London and see it for myself

Nice set of "Abundance" shots Sir, all fit the bill very well, with the abundance of people #1 being my preferred choice.(y)

George.

Thick - this is a really good take on the theme, like the symmetry and the conversion works well, keep up the good work.
Abundance - well one might say you have added an abundance of images :p for the theme, but they all could fit the theme nicely. Its nice to see all the bright colours of the graffiti images, after all this poor weather. But I have to vote for the last of the "abundance" of people shot, as I feel it executes the theme very well.

Nice bit of Thick Metal Work, not like that these days. Not sure about the exposure, maybe a little tad too dark for me as I want to see more details.

Pete

Abundance

For the Graffiti shots I like 3 and 4, plenty of striking colours.
For the People shots, I prefer 2, could have been better with people on the escalators

Pete

Good work Ross

Loving the abstract symmetry of Thick. (y)

Abundance of Colour ... #1 stands out (y) and "Abundance of People ... I like this kind of thing, #2 for me but wondering if removal of the escalator is a possibility. o_O

Just catching up with your thread after getting up to date again with mine, Ross, and you've posted some strong images since my last visit. Age(ing) is well composed to contrast the old wood piles against the ultra-modern architecture on the other bank, the second edit for Sharp works better to draw the eye straight to those horribly sharp points, and the second image of Ron is a really lovely portrait with sharp focus on his nearest eye (y)

You really hit your stride with those images for Abundance; all of the graffiti images are perfect for the theme but my favourite and I think the strongest is the last one, with the real close-up grittiness and all those great colours, and then the first of the two people images is also a cracker. Great use of a high viewpoint to reduce them to small shapes and show just how many there are :clap:

Week 10 - Heavy

Whooo. Week 10 and still going strong. I think I'm doing ok.

OK. So I'm hoping this fits the theme this week. You guys can be the judges on that, but I don't think I'm going to get a better shot that fits the bill than this.

I seem to have a real thing for reflections these days. The purple hue is actually in the tint of the window this is reflected in. No colour has been added. Just boosted.

'Heavy Tint'

Heavy lowres.jpg

As per usual, better quality shot on Flickr

Thanks for looking and I appreciate all the comments so far.

Ross

Last edited:
Bit of a tenuous link there eh Ross ;)

But I like the image. Great reflections and great subject matter - nice

Abundance - A nice selection of images love the colours in the graffiti shots but I think its got to be the first people shot for me nicely done.

Heavy - I really like that something a bit different love the reflections

Took a second to work this one out. I really like it, and it is so much better on Flickr :confused: I don't know if its to do with the settings when you upload, maybe somebody wiser than me may know :D

Took a second to work this one out. I really like it, and it is so much better on Flickr :confused: I don't know if its to do with the settings when you upload, maybe somebody wiser than me may know :D
Im uploading to flickr in a much bigger file size. Thats probably why. I upload in smaller less detailed files here to speed up the loading time.

Nice details in the image Ross. A good a shoe horn as many other have or will do so no problem for me. Everything that should be vertical is.

Pete

Abundance - the abundance of colour for me some great shots there.
Heavy - I like the two different tint colours nicely done

Week 11 - Wet

First thoughts... Great. It always rains in London, I'll have loads of options here. As it happens, No Rain. WTF. The first week with no rain.

Not overly happy with this weeks shot. I used the melted snow for the 'wet' part. It was taken as I was running for the bus in the picture. No prep time. I guessed the setting and got fairly close to the exposure I wanted, but feel the picture lacks something.

But it's on time, and on theme.

Ps. I promise I'll stop using reflections soon.
Pps. I do love reflections though.

'Wet and Windy"

Wet lowres.jpg

As per usual, there is a much higher res picture on Flickr, and it does look much better there.

Last edited:
Abundance - of the abundance of photos my favourite is the first shot in Waterloo station, great effect using the super wide angle lens to do a people shot from above!
Heavy - Obviously perfect symmetry, nicely composed and it has a heavy tint. Quite unusual (y)
Wet - Is that an archive photo? I don't remember it raining in the past week... nice low angle and great reflection of the bus!

Abundance - of the abundance of photos my favourite is the first shot in Waterloo station, great effect using the super wide angle lens to do a people shot from above!
Heavy - Obviously perfect symmetry, nicely composed and it has a heavy tint. Quite unusual (y)
Wet - Is that an archive photo? I don't remember it raining in the past week... nice low angle and great reflection of the bus!
Nope. Not an archive. It was snowing/sleety when i took it. Sunday night perhaps. North side of Waterloo bridge. But previous snow had melted to leave a massive puddle just by the bus stop. Luckily had my camera out already as that was the bus i wanted. Got a couple but that was the best.

You did well to get that Ross, Lots of Noise in the image, but it is dark. Nice take on the theme and different to every one else I have seen so far.

Pete

Very nice Wet shot Sir, bang on theme and very well presented.(y)

George.

Back