Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

Simple and clean. Like it.

Not a fan over the overhead, think i may have liked it more had the keys been more glossy but not much you can do about that.

I meant the same angle, but with more keys going off into the distance.

I prefer the 1st one as well.

Pete

The first was taken at f3.2 with a 40mm 2.8 Macro lens (which I love and is always on the camera really as a general walk about lens), and the focus was very close. I took another of the same shot at f8 but for some reason I just don't like it as much as the first one.

Stark more DOF.jpg

Probably should have straightened this one out too. oops.

I wasn't sure about the shallow DoF but it grew on me and then when I saw the last one I agree the first is better.

Week 4 - Over

Towering Over London

Over.jpg

Got this on I think my first or second outing this week and was fairly happy with it. Took a few from other angles but like the look of the curved front in this one.

ps. It seems to be much less colourful when viewed on here compared to my laptop screen. Its much clearer on Flickr.

Last edited:
That's a clever one (y) and who can resist that mix of architecture!

Perhaps a Levels or Curves tweek will beef it up a bit. :thinking:

I have a shot that I did not use of a tall building with an Overhang, but I'm glad I did not submit it after seeing yours.

Pete

Great idea for your Over shot Sir, works really well for the theme, as others have said could do with a few tweaks to give it a bit more punch.(y)

George.

I've not been around that part of the city for a while, is the black on the curved part of the walkie talkie the addition they made to stop the death rays it produced? (Who'd have through building a huge concave mirror that faces the sun was a bad idea)....
@d00d has a point about pushing the contrast a bit to give it more welly perhaps.

the unusual shape of the building gives more interest than a std tower block would have great choice for the theme

I don't think there are many 52ers who have enjoyed the People theme, Ross, so you did well getting two images! My favourite is #2 as they are heading towards you and there is a sense of drama and implied speed, so well done with that one. The piano keys are a perfect subject for Stark and although the contrast is more obvious in the overhead shot I like either of the other two, with the keys fading into the background. Finally, the tall modern building and the contrast with the smaller, older ones around it is perfect for Over :clap: I agree it would probably benefit from a little tweak to bring out even more detail in the construction.

That building really looms over the street Ross. Great choice for the subject. Looks like the light was pretty drab so not surprised it lacks a bit of punch.

That building really looms over the street Ross. Great choice for the subject. Looks like the light was pretty drab so not surprised it lacks a bit of punch.
Tell me about it. Drab is an understatement. I got some really cool light in some shots of the Shard but the composition wasnt as pleasing as this. Which was a shame.

Looming Over for sure - nice bit of Harkitexture :)

A very good take on the subject, it really gives the impression of looming over you and the contrast of the old and new architecture really works :)

People - first image seems a bit dark for me and bit soft, the second while the focusing could be much better I do like the composition and well done for doing something out of your comfort zone.

Stark - good image for stark contrast and on the first image the only thing i would do would be to clone out the couple of small marks on one of the white keys to make it a cleaner image.

Over - nice interesting building, stands out well against the blue sky, nice find for the theme.

Great mix of old and new architecture, and with a blue sky the colours work much better (y)

Week 5 - Age(d)

Lot's of ideas floating around in my head this week. OLD street tube station, YOUNG street in Kensington, Modern/technological AGE, bygone AGE.

But finally settled on AGED wood. This was taken on the north bank of the Thames at low tide, somewhere nearish to Blackfriars Bridge. Wish i had taken a few more shots with a higher Fstop to get the second wood pile in focus but hey, I'm fairly happy with it, but not one of my best, and I'm really trying to get my best for every shot.

Aged Wood

Age.jpg

Maybe one for a reshoot though..........

Ageing shot works for me Sir, and is right on theme.(y)

George.

The wood doesn't look overly sharp but it's a good composition with the aged wood contrasted against the Shard in the background

It's a great idea and fab composition. Agree about the sharpness but it's not a deal breaker for me. Content is King.

The wood doesn't look overly sharp but it's a good composition with the aged wood contrasted against the Shard in the background
Thanks. It looked sharper on the laptop and I think it looks sharper over on Flickr. I know the second wood is oof. Im saving images for upload here as quite liw quality jpegs to limit the size of them. Might that affect how sharp they look?
Agree with Chris that it does not look sharp. Reshoot soon hopefully :)
If the tide will allow it. Dont fancy being up to my knees in the Thames.
It's a great idea and fab composition. Agree about the sharpness but it's not a deal breaker for me. Content is King.
Thanks. I'm trying to steer away from buildings. And i think this is quite a unique view of London.

Back