Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

I think you picked the best of them Ross. A really nice shot to start the 52s. Nice DoF and leading line via the path. They definitely didn't want you through that gate:D

Have to agree with John, you picked the best of the images for the theme. I just want to know what's behind the gate that warrants two padlocks.

Paticularly like the first Gate shot Sir, well photographed & presented.(y)

George.

You picked the right photo for gate, I love the rustiness, the colours and the composition (y)

The trouble with getting here late is that everyone has already accurately pointed out everything I would have said! But to say it anyway :) you picked the strongest of the images, the composition, focus and shallow DOF are spot on, lovely colours and textures, and an interesting OOF background too. Really nice image, Ross (y)

The first shot is indeed the pick of the crop, I do think the second could be better with letter box crop to loose most of the grey sky maybe that just because I cant see it all on my screen in one go.

Week 2 - People

Flickr Link.

Ugh. I hate (perhaps too strong a word) taking pictures of people. Always feel super awkward and very un natural.

Still, I got out and tried. Took two which I think are ok. Very different pictures.
The first was taken in Guildford, from inside a coffee shop through a plate window.

People.jpg

The second was taken at Swinley Forest. I'd done a few laps on the Mtb in the morning and had my camera in the car and thought...... why not? Not sure my D90 has the focus following speed to track advancing bikers but thought this one was ok.

Bike People.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Roll on week 3........

Last edited:
They both fit the theme I feel your pain about taking pics of people I feel the same, out of the two I think the second one has more impact

#2 is a great photo, very dynamic, clever use of DoF. But my favourite is #1, great light on the top of the building with the people left in the shadows (y) If you only had cloned the power lines out...

I'm not ecstatic about people as a theme, not something ever done or feel comfortable about so I feel your pain

Number one for me, really like the moody feel to it :)

Not many people like taking photos of people by the sounds of things, you are not alone.

The first one I find a bit too dim, and there is something next to the head of the chap in the centre, Something on the Window I guess. Plenty of People but they are small.

I prefer the second one, DOF , ziz zag line of the path and the bikers moving into the picture. Could do with a little bit more contrast I feel.

Pete

The first one I find a bit dark and lacking contrast. The second one is my pick of the two, though again I feel it could use a bit more contrast. Nice use of DOF.

I feel your pain WRT People, IM the same...
Oddly, I actually like the first shot, the smi bright sky and almost silhouettes of people works very well

Was gonna ask if that was Guildford when I saw the image - it's a great view down the hill. I can't count the amount of times i've gone up and down there doing Christmas shopping ;)

Nice work

For "people" I prefer number 1 with the couple in the middle of the street. number 2 says more "sports action" to me.

The first is Dark but as it was taken from inside its a good choice of location as it give a good view down the street. The second has more impact and is sharper. both great for the theme.

hi ross,

Your Area is a great take on the theme, interesting but i'd liked to have seen more of the puddle as a frame,
Gate - 1st gate image is excellent in my books. dark and foreboding, like a fog that any moment the zombie apocalypse will spew forth from :runaway:
People - first is dark, but i do like the action in the 2nd, its plain and you could improve, but i like tall trees and the snaking path

(y)

Another vote for #2 ... a much better exposure than the first, but could still do with some PP tweeks.

People
Both work for me and i can't really pick between the two.
People isn't my favourite theme either.

Week 3 - Stark

Flickr Link

Found this one tricky. Stark is Quite a broad spectrum and I had quite a lot of ideas but found it hard to execute them well, so I decided on using stark contrast as my theme (as others have).

It is not my best picture, and I think it could still be better but I want to get this in before our week is up.

So here it is.

Stark Contrast

Stark (Contrast).jpg

CC always appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice idea for Strak I think the DoF works well at first I thought it was a touch to shallow but the more I look at it the more I like it

I like it but a bit of me wonders what it would look like in portrait mode.

Good take on the theme. DOF is a nice idea, but again I wonder what if all sharp keys are sharp.(I think the black keys are sharp keys)

Pete

I prefer #2, nicely clean and symmetric. In #1 the DoF is a tad too shallow for my taste.

Back