Rotary electric planer start of repair

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
for some years I have had lying about this electric rotary wood planer and stopped using it as a blade broke.

NWJg6Mz.jpg

the actual blade is that thin strip of metal

Checked it out and it still works, so blade clamps strip down to start with. Turns out a battle between me and the hex head screws as they have never been undone. Ok I have an allen key which fitted the heads but could not shift them. Bit of head scratching so machine into vice to hold it still and out with the big boy Draper tool kit. With the short tip into the head-an extn bar and a rachet spanner at last they snapped free.

So today ordered new blades and drive belt incase the existing one snapped. when they come I shall at least have another bit of kit to play with

Last edited:
for some years I have had lying about this electric rotary wood planer and stopped using it as a blade broke.

NWJg6Mz.jpg

the actual blade is that thin strip of metal

Checked it out and it still works, so blade clamps strip down to start with. Turns out a battle between me and the hex head screws as they have never been undone. Ok I have an allen key which fitted the heads but could not shift them. Bit of head scratching so machine into vice to hold it still and out with the big boy Draper tool kit. With the short tip into the head-an extn bar and a rachet spanner at last they snapped free.

So today ordered new blades and drive belt incase the existing one snapped. when they come I shall at least have another bit of kit to play with

I bought a budget one a few years back when we had one door that needed a fair bit taken off of the bottom. It was a godsend......as I could not trust my accuracy with the panel saw :)
Must confess I never really took to the electric plane. Love the feel of a good old hand plane though.

If I won the lottery this would be one of my purchases, though I think even then it would be on display. (Just looks so good)
https://www.workshopheaven.com/holtey-a1-dovetailed-steel-panel-plane.html

That looks like a beautiful well made tool but what a price :whistle: :oops: :$

At that price I would, expect better images.

I note that on the page linked by @munch that the item is pre-owned but having found the Holtey website the maker says this:-
"I make my planes as one off commissions or in very small batches; they are not made on a production line. Every part of each plane is made by me - I do not buy or subcontract any components, the only process not done in my workshop is the thermal treatment of blades.

I use machine tools in my workshop in order to achieve the precision and finish which I demand and have become known for. These tools, whilst allowing me to build to a standard other makers can only dream of, certainly do not ‘automate’ the task of making a plane and I would consider a Holtey plane to be as hand made an item as the work of the finest gunsmiths and jewelers.

Each component in my planes requires many processes to complete and this adds up to many hundreds for the finished tool. A plane may take in excess of two hundred hours of labour to complete and this time is reflected in the prices I ask. Although I no longer publish a price list, prices for the low angle planes start at around £2500 pounds and rise to around £7000 for the large panel planes."

So on the face of it the linked page seller is offering it at more than the original manufactured price........................but I suppose to a degree, such is the way with what must be seen to the officiando, as a collectors item ;)

Used one quite a bit over the years and the collection bag that goes on the side is in my view essential.
The shavings spray out of the oval opening and go everywhere, tool itself is quite handy especially for hanging doors

ZgoW9Qa.jpg

Aas you can see blade now fitted but what a sod to do. There is the blade clamp which has to be to the right position and then another clamp to hold down the blade. Ok it is an old machine that still works but hopefully newer machines have different methods of inserting cutting blades

Back