B&W Rough seas

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to the beach for sunset but the light was not that great colour wise but as the seas was putting on good perfoemance and light was right for mono I took these.
This was 15 minutes after sunset at the point where exposures just get longer and at around half a second I was getting some movement I liked.

The-swirling-seas by alf.branch, on Flickr

The-swirling-seas-2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

What do you think?

Couple of great shots Alf, I like them both very much.(y)

George.

Thankyou all for the comments. These shots were taken one second apart.

Lovely Alf always like how you get up close and capture these type of shots

Thanks Kevin
This beach has no big stand out features so for shots to work you need to get up close and as in this case low. If you look the horizon it is behind the waves which were 6 feet at least and the tripod was about 3 feet high.
I know the beach well and always keep an eye on the tide/waves taking care on the rocks too which be extremely slippery.

Both are really good but I think I like the second one as it has a more established foreground.

Very nice - like both shots, but prefer the 2nd shot, like the waves crashing over the large rock.

Nice shots being B&W :)

I actually prefer the first Alf, its a wonderful capture. The image shows the power of the sea in all its glory especially with the swell in the background. Might have preferred the shot to be copped to lose the rock on the left but that's a minor point.

Just a real sense of water movement here, real feel of action going on. So spot on with the shutter speeds. I have tried to split the two but I like both for different reasons.
1. For the nice clear large rock mid frame, with the little trickles of water coming off it, and the spray bursting right at your feet in the foreground.
2. For the wave bursting over the rock and the fanning off of the water on the smaller rock to the right.

So if you don't mind I'm going to call this one a draw!

Like Kev, I don't know how you do it Alf I have this picture in my mind of you standing there absolutely drenched! How you keep your gear dry I have really no idea.

Excellent shots Alf, nice work

The first one for me, I like the sense of the lone rock standing surrounded by the movement of the water. I'd be tempted to look at cropping slightly from the left to remove be the half rock.

I really like this type of image and the mono conversion works well.

Thanks all for the comments.

It does not always go well I have had wet feet a few times and I have been splashed quite a few times it is regularly a fight with spray

Here is a splash

splash by alf.branch, on Flickr

Back