Royal Mail under paid postage

Two possibilities come to mind, have you sent anything to anyone and not paid enough postage
so it could possibly be a return as it wasn't collected.
Second is a customs charge for something from abroad

Can you get to the office you need to collect it from, if so pop in and talk to them, they may let you see what
looks like, they obviously won't give it to you but just seeing it might help

There will be a post office fee included in that I reckon, probably about £12 of it.

There are some scams about that use use this system and ask you to call a number which is very high rated. If it's genuine, then you can go to the post office it names and see what it is. They won't let you open it, but if you explain the situation you should be able to view the package, see where it's from. If you decide it's not for you then just walk away and it'll be returned to the sender. Assuming it's a medium parcel the standard rate fee is - £1.50 plus incremental postage rounded to the nearest 10 pence.

Although the card is mainly to advise of underpaid postage charges, it can also advise of customs fees including an £8.00 collection fee. Given that the maximum charge for underpaid postage is a £3 flat fee or £1.50 plus incremental postage rounded to the nearest 10 pence, I would suggest that the £16.50 is an £8.50 customs charge and £8.00 collection charge combined. The customs charge is likely to be VAT charged on anything worth more than £15 sent from outside the EU remembering that VAT is payable on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value. A charge of £8.50 at 20% VAT rate means a purchase of £42.50.

Hope this helps.

There will be a post office fee included in that I reckon, probably about £12 of it.
Flat fee for an under stamped parcels £3.

....... Assuming it's a medium parcel the standard rate fee is - £1.50 plus incremental postage rounded to the nearest 10 pence.

I'm not sure what you are saying here, its considerable more than £1.50 to post a medium parcel, and the flat fee for an under stamped parcel is £3

If it's genuine, then you can go to the post office it names

It'll probably be a Royal Mail delivery office not a local Post Office

Had one incident a few years back at work where a box fell off a couriers van and someone dumped the parcel at a postoffice, who delivered it to the delivery address on the label and charged for unpaid postage....

Had one incident a few years back at work where a box fell off a couriers van and someone dumped the parcel at a postoffice, who delivered it to the delivery address on the label and charged for unpaid postage....

Royal Mail won't be happy about the Post Office nicking there work :rolleyes:

Had the same a few weeks ago it was a spam insurance circular, spoke to the guy on the counter and he said they get quite a few. trouble is you can't see what it is until you pay

Had the same a few weeks ago it was a spam insurance circular, spoke to the guy on the counter and he said they get quite a few. trouble is you can't see what it is until you pay

My Royal Mail local office will show you the parcel/letter but not let you touch it. You can then decline the item if you want.

My Royal Mail local office will show you the parcel/letter but not let you touch it. You can then decline the item if you want.

I could see letter but looked like a normal letter wasn't until it was opened you found out what it was, fortunately it was just a letter so a few pence

Flat fee for an under stamped parcels £3.

I'm not sure what you are saying here, its considerable more than £1.50 to post a medium parcel, and the flat fee for an under stamped parcel is £3

I took that figiure from here - https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/pay-a-fee/unpaid-postage It is the fee charged for different sizes of letter/package that are underpaid, not the cost of sending it. The flat fee only applies to 'small' parcels which is why I said "assuming it's a medium parcel..."

Back