weekly rpn's 2020 52 Photo Challenge - Week 52 DECORATIONS Added ***COMPLETE***

Lovely image, great use of DoF to draw the viewer in. Really good for the theme too.

Very nice Dof Stan and a good choice for the theme, plus asking Mrs Stan to help again. Maybe crop down to the top of the mag.

Thanks, Dave. She seems to be happy enough to help and that's the third time in the last two months.
I was thinking about cropping out the TV too but at the same time I want to include it and switched on too to show that she is in her comfortable and pleasurable environment.

Really good shot there Stan the use of DOF really draws your eye to the subject. Like this a lot.

Very nice although the bright bit in the background (tv?) tends to draw the eye away from the page.

Very nice although the bright bit in the background (tv?) tends to draw the eye away from the page.

Thanks. Joan. I tend to agree with you there, but as in my previous post I include the TV to add context to the environment but just wish a different scene was on at the time.

Terrific DoF and a really excellent image Stan!
I've been longing for the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 - bit out of my league at the moment though!
The focus is perhaps a tiny smidge off the point of the pen, only noticeable if pixel-peeped though - but I can just make out the 'Paris Las Vegas' writing on it!;)
Nice work Stan!(y)

Nicely shot, as above the DOF makes the shot :)

Terrific DoF and a really excellent image Stan!
I've been longing for the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 - bit out of my league at the moment though!
The focus is perhaps a tiny smidge off the point of the pen, only noticeable if pixel-peeped though - but I can just make out the 'Paris Las Vegas' writing on it!;)
Nice work Stan!(y)

Thanks, Gareth. I got the lens for a few years now but only used it a handful of times.

Nicely shot, as above the DOF makes the shot :)

Thanks, Rick

Good choice of lens to create the desired effect!!

Cheers, Bob. I also took a few shots with a Nikon 85mm f/1.4 at f/1.4 but the depth of field is like paper-thin and too blurry.

Good original idea Stan, it works well.

I don't think that missing the focus on the nib of the pen is an issue Stan, the puzzle itself is in focus and I think that's the point really.
Nicely done and I also like how it gradually fades to black on the right of the shot.

I don't think that missing the focus on the nib of the pen is an issue Stan, the puzzle itself is in focus and I think that's the point really.
Nicely done and I also like how it gradually fades to black on the right of the shot.

Thanks, Tim. She was wearing dark clothing at the time and the living room wallpaper is also quite dark too.

Agreed, works well with that dof.. focus looks fine to me but could be my eyesight!

Good interpretation of the theme Stan and a good use of the Siggy lens, it is one of my favourites to get that OOF look, although as you say it is hard to nail the exact focus point. I had to stick mine on the dock and tweak a fraction, did you have to do the same ????

Good interpretation of the theme Stan and a good use of the Siggy lens, it is one of my favourites to get that OOF look, although as you say it is hard to nail the exact focus point. I had to stick mine on the dock and tweak a fraction, did you have to do the same ????

Thank you, Paul. My Sigma is the older (none Art) version. Bought a few years ago now but not use enough.

That's a super shot, Stan, one of my favourites for this theme :clap: My eye was drawn straight to the puzzle book and pen so the super-shallow DOF and slight vignette work perfectly, and I like the warm light. I wondered whether it would be better without the TV in the background but without it the image looks empty in comparison. The TV seems to add colour and warmth and gives it a comfortable and homely feel, which suits the theme perfectly.

That's a super shot, Stan, one of my favourites for this theme :clap: My eye was drawn straight to the puzzle book and pen so the super-shallow DOF and slight vignette work perfectly, and I like the warm light. I wondered whether it would be better without the TV in the background but without it the image looks empty in comparison. The TV seems to add colour and warmth and gives it a comfortable and homely feel, which suits the theme perfectly.

Thanks, Andrea for the nice words. I was two minds about the TV too but decided to leave it to add context as a relaxing atmosphere and wish it was a different scene.

Back