weekly rpn's 2021 52 Photo Challenge - Week 52 SHOWCASE added **COMPLETE**

Just to echo above Stan, that works really well, good work (y)

Half
I'm going to start off with a couple of observations. With the cutting edge of the blade facing down, I think the blade should be below the apple halves, as if the blade had been struck downward. Or have the blade edge facing up, as if the apple had been dropped into it.
The lighting is good and so is the dof you've used.

Just to echo above Stan, that works really well, good work (y)

Thanks, Iain.

Half
I'm going to start off with a couple of observations. With the cutting edge of the blade facing down, I think the blade should be below the apple halves, as if the blade had been struck downward. Or have the blade edge facing up, as if the apple had been dropped into it.
The lighting is good and so is the dof you've used.

Thanks, Dominic. Good point about the blade.

Half
Grabbed my attention as I saw it, definitely had instant appeal, apart from red on the knife would there also be some reflection in real life?

Works for me

Yep as others have said, it works for me Stan

I've been waiting on the weather to break for a few days so I can go out for the shot I've in mind. Luckily a short period of no rain and the mist slightly lifted last night and it is the best I managed. I was hoping that the buildings would all lit up but like most cities, these offices are empty with workers working from home.

Week 09 Reflections

By the River of Dee by Stan, on Flickr

I really like night time reflections, and these are no exception (y)
Its a tough call, but maybe the harbour one just has the edge

I really like night time reflections, and these are no exception (y)
Its a tough call, but maybe the harbour one just has the edge

Thanks, Chris. Agree that the harbour shot has better light reflections but the riverside shot is what's in my mind for this week's theme and that's why I use it as the main post.

Both images are nice but I prefer the riverside shot, I find the harbour one a little to busy. Think I might prefer a slightly tighter crop on the riverside one as it feels like a lot of dead space bottom right. I do like the leading line of the riverbank and the large number of star bursts of the lights at the end.

Reactions: rpn
Both images are nice but I prefer the riverside shot, I find the harbour one a little to busy. Think I might prefer a slightly tighter crop on the riverside one as it feels like a lot of dead space bottom right. I do like the leading line of the riverbank and the large number of star bursts of the lights at the end.

Thanks, Steve. I know what you mean by the dead space. I, for some reason, prefer to stick to the 'standard' formal crop ratios, if there's such a thing. That shot is cropped at 16x9. How about this 'classic' panoramic ratio of 17x6?

Thanks, Steve. I know what you mean by the dead space. I, for some reason, prefer to stick to the 'standard' formal crop ratios, if there's such a thing. That shot is cropped at 16x9. How about this 'classic' panoramic ratio of 17x6?

I know what you mean about "classic" ratios I'm much the same. I do think this works.

Hi Stan

I like both shots with the river side one just winning out, the crop works well.
Like the colours of both and how sharp they appear to be, where abouts is it.

Pete

Hi Stan

I like both shots with the river side one just winning out, the crop works well.
Like the colours of both and how sharp they appear to be, where abouts is it.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. I'm in Aberdeen, NE Scotland. The darken buildings along the riverbank are mostly oil and gas companies that have been hit the hardest, financially. Firstly with the oil price dropping from nearly $150 a barrel in 2014 to about $60. Secondly with Greta Thunberg! ;) (work that one out) and thirdly the current pandemic.

I'm still happy with my nearly 9 years old Nikon D800

Last edited:
Nice one - and the pano crop nails it!

Both nice and I prefer the first one, it has a nice 'calmness' about it, great reflections too. Nice job

I think they're both great, but I prefer the harbour one too. Possibly because it's busier and more full of energy. There's certainly more colour.

Both nice and I prefer the first one, it has a nice 'calmness' about it, great reflections too. Nice job

Thanks, Kell and Jim for the feedback and good point about the energy and calmness.

Harbour shot for me. The one you chose looks like it's leaning to the left slightly although it could easily be my imagination... I think the 6x17 crop works much better and has got me thinking about dragging mine out for a play once restrictions are relaxed... The harbour one has more vibrant colour and that sliver of beach(?) in the bottom left corner adds perspective and context to the image.

Great reflections there and the pano works well. I love the bright blue lights - they really stand out.

They’re both super shots Stan, I love the curve on the landscape one, two really smashing choices for the theme.

The colours are lovely in the harbour, but the leading lines in the river make for a more serene shot. The water looks very still!

Thanks, Susie and Bebop. I was lucky I was there during slack tide when the water was still.

Harbour shot for me. The one you chose looks like it's leaning to the left slightly although it could easily be my imagination... I think the 6x17 crop works much better and has got me thinking about dragging mine out for a play once restrictions are relaxed... The harbour one has more vibrant colour and that sliver of beach(?) in the bottom left corner adds perspective and context to the image.

Thanks, Ian. We are allowed to go out for excise and leisure but within the council area and 5 miles limits.

Great reflections there and the pano works well. I love the bright blue lights - they really stand out.

Thanks, Helen.

I prefer the river shot, I like the sky.

I'm a bit lacking inspiration this week. The weather has been pretty good by Aberdeen standard no rough sea, strong wind or big waves forecast. So I revisited a similar shot I've done a few years back and some of you may remember.
Taken late evening to make sure no golfers about. I include the pin/flag for the context.

Week 10 (In The) Rough

In The Rough by Stan, on Flickr

Nice idea Stan, it works well

Back