RSPB Bempton Cliffs

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I will be spending a couple days up in Bempton mid-week and will of course visit the RSPB Bempton Cliffs to photograph the seabirds and possibly some other birds (if they make themselves visible to me :) ).
Whilst I have visited the cliffs before, I haven't checked out any of the immediate surrounding area ... is there anywhere else I should check out for nature/wildlfie/birds? I'm not looking to travel miles, just around the area of Bempton that other may have found productive ... keys are somewhere to park nearby and not to stressful on my deteriorating hips and knees.
All suggestions welcomed. :)

Filey Dams is worth a look, only a short drive from Bempton, only a very short walk from car park to both hides. Thornwick pools (Flamborough) has had some good sightings recently.
Thanks Gareth ... is Filey Dams street parking, can't see any other parking on the map?

You probably know this, but it can be a lot colder at Bempton than other places nearby. I really liked it but was shocked by how much colder it was than even the village nearby.

You probably know this, but it can be a lot colder at Bempton than other places nearby. I really liked it but was shocked by how much colder it was than even the village nearby.
Shore breezes can make things a lot cooler but I see forecasts of around 30deg by the end of the week, so if that is the case I will welcome a breeze!
However I will have some warm clothing too :)

Filey Dams has a small car park at the end of the suburb. There is enough room for 5-6 cars and more street parking if required, it has always been very quite when I have visited.
That's great, thanks. :)

Roger, both Filey Dams and Thornwick Pool are worth a look as mentioned, both easy walk from free parking (y)

Thornwick Pool is on the entrance to Thornwick Caravan Park. the parking is on the right of a sharp left hand bend before reception, good photo opportunities from the hide but its a morning place if you want the sun behind you.

There's always a few Puffins down by the fog horn station, walk past the light house, then off to the right at the side of the fog horn station, they can be very obliging and get quite close up the bankings.

I'm going to be there mesefl from Thursday afternoon, I'm a member of the Flamborough Bird Obs and have a key for the photography hide at Thornwick, if you fancy an hour Friday morning let me know :)

Roger, both Filey Dams and Thornwick Pool are worth a look as mentioned, both easy walk from free parking (y)

Thornwick Pool is on the entrance to Thornwick Caravan Park. the parking is on the right of a sharp left hand bend before reception, good photo opportunities from the hide but its a morning place if you want the sun behind you.

There's always a few Puffins down by the fog horn station, walk past the light house, then off to the right at the side of the fog horn station, they can be very obliging and get quite close up the bankings.

I'm going to be there mesefl from Thursday afternoon, I'm a member of the Flamborough Bird Obs and have a key for the photography hide at Thornwick, if you fancy an hour Friday morning let me know :)
Cheers Phil, thats useful info ... I'll PM you. :)

Crossed post, you have a pm ;) :D

The RSPB boat along the cliff is well worth a trip it goes from Bridlington.

Martin

The RSPB boat along the cliff is well worth a trip it goes from Bridlington.

Martin
Thanks Martin, I did think about this but it appears that I left it too late to get a booking.
Anyway had a great time this morning with thanks to @Phil-D and wife Lyn at Thornwick Pool, seeing Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Dunlin and a Wood Sandpiper :)

Back