RSPB bird song identifier

Know what you mean BB. I can convince myself I know some bird songs, but when it comes to identifying one in the wild, I am usually lost.

I downloaded an app called Birds of Britain for my Kindle a few years ago which is pretty good.

There is also the UK Bird Sounds app. I don't have it but it got a decent review on the BirdGuides site a good few years ago - https://www.birdguides.com/reviews/apps-software/uk-bird-sounds-app/

Dave

@Tringa

Hi Dave

I do have the Merlin app and that includes both bird songs & calls (where/when available ~ I think I have seen some where 'calls' are absent) and in general would recommend it :)

But the RSPB page is a quick listing of the common birds. .... readily to hand.

I think that we all have different capabilities when it comes to bird songs/calls.
I gain nothing from listening to recordings. Once out in the wild I have zero success in connecting recordings to what I hear.
On the other hand, when I see a bird and simultaneously hear it sing/call that is locked in my mind never to be forgotten.

Another aspect is written descriptions of bird song, e.g "sispi si-hi-hi-hi-hi". What on earth is that supposed to sound like ?

I think that we all have different capabilities when it comes to bird songs/calls.
I gain nothing from listening to recordings. Once out in the wild I have zero success in connecting recordings to what I hear.
On the other hand, when I see a bird and simultaneously hear it sing/call that is locked in my mind never to be forgotten.

Another aspect is written descriptions of bird song, e.g "sispi si-hi-hi-hi-hi". What on earth is that supposed to sound like ?

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks written descriptions of most bird songs are baffling and useless.

Dave

Back